1 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-02-08 09:29:37)

Topic: Albany Down

What! No Albany Down thread? We'll have to remedy that; otherwise nowhere to put this post about Sedgefield Rock an' Blues Club's next show; a sort of mini Jock's Juke Joint gig featuring Albany Down & Lewis Hamilton.

Next gig at Sedgefield March 16th.
Albany Down and Lewis Hamilton & The Boogie Brothers.

From what I've heard of both bands, another "special" night in store for the club. Gotta wonder though, if there's chance of a jam finale, how about a nod to those Scottish legends Nazareth..... plants the idea and walks slowly out the room....

Other chances to catch the band:- 

Friday, February 08, 2013
      O2 ABC2 Glasgow, Scotland      7:30 PM   supporting Henrik Freischlader
Saturday, February 09, 2013
      Bannermans Live Music Bar Edinburgh, Scotland      7:30 PM   supporting Henrik Freischlader
Saturday, March 09, 2013
      The Wesley Centre Rotherham, England      7:30 PM   supporting Chantel McGregor on her "Like No Other" tour
Friday, March 15, 2013
      The Camerons Club Hartlepool, England      7:30 PM   Tickets £6 in advance, £7 on the door
Saturday, March 16, 2013
      Sedgefield Blues Club Sedgefield, England      8:00 PM   Parish Hall, Front Street, Sedgefield, TS21 3AT
Sunday, March 17, 2013
      The Saints Rooms Cockermouth, England 
Friday, March 22, 2013
      The Albert Halls Bolton, England      7:30 PM   supporting Chantel McGregor on her "Like No Other" tour
Friday, April 05, 2013
      The Platform Morecambe, England      7:30 PM   supporting Chantel McGregor on her "Like No Other" tour
Saturday, April 06, 2013
      Lowca ARLFC Whitehaven, England      8:00 PM   
Saturday, April 13, 2013
      Brudenell Social Club Leeds, England      7:30 PM   supporting Chantel McGregor on her "Like No Other" tour
Saturday, April 27, 2013
      Karma Bar and Grill Bedford , England      9:00 PM   
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
      The 100 Club London, England      7:30 PM   
Wednesday, May 08, 2013
      Rook Lane Arts Frome      7:30 PM  supporting Chantel McGregor on her "Like No Other" tour
Thursday, May 09, 2013
      The Wharf Tavistock, England  7:30 PM supporting Chantel McGregor on her "Like No Other" tour 
Friday, May 10, 2013
      The Acorn Penzance  7:30 PM   supporting Chantel McGregor on her "Like No Other" tour

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Albany Down

Looking forward to seeing them in Edinburgh this weekend.  I've not quite gotten round to buying their CD as yet, but it has been on my'list' on the back of Jocks Juke Joint so will remedy that tomorrow.

I'll be with you guys in spirit but my body will be in Tenerife with a few beers watching the Vagabonds who just might play Bridge to better days smile

Kenny wrote:

I'll be with you guys in spirit but my body will be in Tenerife with a few beers watching the Vagabonds who just might play Bridge to better days smile

You missed a good one! We managed to sink quite a few beers too, not as warm in Edinburgh though!

5 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-03-20 06:55:56)

Sedgefield R'n'B Club 16-3-13

Well, finally caught up with these alumni from Jock’s Juke Joint on Saturday at Sedgefield. Lately, they’ve been doing some gigs with Henrik Freischlader round Scotland and a number of dates with Chantel McGregor, but this was one of those rare oppertunities to see the guys at full-stretch.

For those who don’t know or haven’t come across Albany Down, they comprise:- PAUL MUIR is the band’s excellent front man - delivering powerful vocals with just the right balance of arrogance and angst as well as “guy-candy” looks to interest the women. The floppy-haired bassist is BILLY DEDMAN - he has a prowess for solid bass lines - but demonstrates the aptitude and dexterity for a higher vision and pulls off some nifty bass solo pieces. Drummer DAMIEN CAMPBELL provides the power - keeping the beat steady. PAUL TURLEY on lead guitar makes most of the magic happen on stage. He puts on an accomplished performance with a few daring and flaring Hendrix-style licks but reverts down to a sensible chug-a-chug chord or two when things are brimming.

Would I say they were the best at each instrument - sorry lads, but no: that’s not saying they don’t know what they’re doing though….. Thing is, Albany Down is greater than the sum of its parts; each guy gets on with what he’s supposed to be doing and something exciting happens; and boy, when they rock, they really rock.

End of the first session, they closed with South Of The City, title track from their current album, and that is a bona-fide classic. Their 2 sets at Sedgefield were made from this album, and a soon to be released follow-up, Not Over Yet! which from the sounds of, they are really turning up the heat. Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile got a rattling, odd to see it done with vocals and guitar handled separately; but the 2 Pauls carried it off. That was about the extent of the covers until the encore with a crashing Rock and Roll and a scrabble to do Johnny B Goode at the audience’s demand for more.

Albany Down can be counted on for insistent guitar hooks, stripped down licks and rattling good-time rock; about as subtle as a Glasgow Kiss. On the strength of Saturday’s performance, they’re heading to be counted with some of the legendry Scottish bands from back in the 70s though - a new wave of heavy blues.

Know they've attracted attention from another of this region's Blues Clubs, and look forward to seeing them on their rosta, but sticking my neck out - I bet the lads would go down a storm on the Continent, Germany & Holland especially.

The lads' encore from Sedgefield:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … T22OtbfkS0

Other recent shows:-
The Working Man - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5uwv7usD54
South Of The City - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXb7kwiZTaM
The Train Song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2VoqpiQF3g

PS - watch for thier new album; due 8th April - Not Over Yet!

The night's take on South Of The City, from Sedgefield gig:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azJ_hKgkL90

BansheeUK wrote:

Sedgefield R'n'B Club 16-3-13

Know they've attracted attention from another of this region's Blues Clubs, and look forward to seeing them on their rosta,

PS - watch for thier new album; due 8th April - Not Over Yet!

On the books for Guisborough, mid-September.

Thanks Mike for bringing this band to my attention.  I've had their album for a couple days and it's really a fine effort.  Nothing like talent to deliver the goods.  It's refreshing to know the music I love is still played seriously.  Nine stars out of ten.

Curby wrote:

Thanks Mike for bringing this band to my attention.  I've had their album for a couple days and it's really a fine effort.  Nothing like talent to deliver the goods.  It's refreshing to know the music I love is still played seriously.  Nine stars out of ten.

Happy to return a favour.  The guys' new album is out in a matter of days, and from what I heard at Sedgefield, it'll soon be in my shopping basket.

Why hello everyone! just thought id drop by to say how much fun we had in Sedgefield and Hartlepool! we had an absolute blast and cant wait to return up that way asap!

Also, just thought id share this little video here, its the first promo video for the new album 'Not Over Yet' available on 8th April. You can in fact pre-order it now on our website www.albanydown.com

heres the video - http://youtu.be/HZoB3E_0WL8

cheers everyone! smile

Second promo video is now live! smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRIMVaJq … e=youtu.be

You can now preview the whole album on our websites store. Have a listen and let us know the ones you like best. We are now taking pre-orders too and just so you know all pre-orders received will be entered into a draw so that 3 lucky winners will receive a signed Press Pack of Promo goodies. smile http://store.albanydown.com/MusicDetail … amp;brid=5

13 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-04-09 07:07:17)

Well, got my copy through the door yesterday; 70% Rock, 30% Blues, 100% crackin' good album.

From a "spaghetti western" intro, the lads crash in with a gritty rock number Back Again, like 80s Rainbow. The following 2 numbers keep it at a steady boil before the guys take it down a couple of notches with Southern Rock tinged A Man Like Me. Kicking it back up, the grinding title track, Not Over Yet, with its machine gun lyric verses leads into a swaggering harmonica driven My Lucky Streak.

What would be side B in the vinyl days opens with the slow blues number You Ain't Coming Home, and they pull out not only some Zepp tinged guitar but a bloody string section! That's ballsy for a 2nd album, but pays off. That said, She's The Light maybe over-cooks the idea a little, with its North African / Persian feel, some wags will probably use the K(ashmir) word: still can't say I dislike the number. You Want To Be My Baby takes us back onto a safer strut and the next 2 numbers rattle along.

So, where's the "South Of The City"? For me, they've kept it until the end, The Working Man. Everything is in here, solid ryhthm, moody strings and keys, blazing guitar and Paul Muir singing his lungs out. This would even make Manic Street Preachers look over their shoulders!

They've delivered again.

Pleased and excited to Announce we are supporting the great John Lee Hooker Jr on his tour of the Uk in june with 6 exclusive dates and 2 Major Blues Festivals. smile

Dates are as followed.

Mon 17th June Norwich - The Waterfront
Tue  18th June Bilston - The Robin 2
Wed 19th June Southampton- The Brook
Thur 20th June Bristol - The Tunnels
Sat 22nd June Cleethorpes - Blues Festival
Sun 23rd June Durham - Blues Festival
Mon 24th June Clithroe - The Grand
Tue 25th June London - The 100 Club

More details can be found right here https://www.facebook.com/albanydown/pos … 4853016761

BillyBunter wrote:

Pleased and excited to Announce we are supporting the great John Lee Hooker Jr on his tour of the Uk in june with 6 exclusive dates and 2 Major Blues Festivals. smile

Dates are as followed.

Mon 17th June Norwich - The Waterfront
Tue  18th June Bilston - The Robin 2
Wed 19th June Southampton- The Brook
Thur 20th June Bristol - The Tunnels
Sat 22nd June Cleethorpes - Blues Festival
Sun 23rd June Durham - Blues Festival
Mon 24th June Clithroe - The Grand
Tue 25th June London - The 100 Club

More details can be found right here https://www.facebook.com/albanydown/pos … 4853016761

Nice one. Hope you're coming back up to Scotland sometime. Loving the new album by the way smile

Great stuff another great new band

forgot to mention that tomorrow night (30th) we are at the 100 club London, 7pm start.  Anyone fancies coming then come on down! ;-)

Just got back from the three dates in the south west supporting our good friend chantel. Three amazing gigs! The wharf in Tavistock is a cracking venue! Looking forward to our tour with John Lee Hooker jr last week of june! smile