1 (edited by David 2007-08-29 21:52:11)

Topic: Utica show

Just got back from the Utica concert and all I can say is... is anybody better than Joe? Who else can pay homage to the guitar gods better than he can? If you closed your eyes at the concert you would have swore Billy Gibbons, Jimmy Page, Peter Frampton, BB King and Jeff Beck were all on the same stage.
It was cool to meet Rocket, Larry G and John aka "the sign." Nice people. Perfect weather too.
The setlist as best as I can remember. Not in order.
Bridge to Better Days
Walk in My Shadows
So Many Roads
Mountain Time
Sloe Gin
Another Kind of Love
High Water Everywhere - Acoustic
Woke Up Dreaming - Acoustic
If Heartaches Were Nickels - Acoustic
Django
Encore:
Asking Around for You
Just Got Paid/Dazed and Confused
Squonk?
P.S. That Gigliotti is a work of art. I didn't get a chance to ask Joe if that was the one that was missing.

Re: Utica show

Thanks Dave and I'm glad you all got to hook- up. Jane and I go tomorrow. I love this set list...I hope he has the Gigliotti, I'm sitting close...more on that tomorrow...Cathy

David wrote:

Just got back from the Utica concert and all I can say is... is anybody better than Joe? Who else can pay homage to the guitar gods better than he can? If you closed your eyes at the concert you would have swore Billy Gibbons, Jimmy Page, Peter Frampton, BB King and Jeff Beck were all on the same stage.
It was cool to meet Rocket, Larry G and John aka "the sign." Nice people. Perfect weather too.
The setlist as best as I can remember. Not in order.
Bridge to Better Days
Walk in My Shadows
So Many Roads
Mountain Time
Sloe Gin
Another Kind of Love
High Water Everywhere - Acoustic
Woke Up Dreaming - Acoustic
If Heartaches Were Nickels - Acoustic
Django
Encore:
Asking Around for You
Just Got Paid/Dazed and Confused
Squonk?
P.S. That Gigliotti is a work of art. I didn't get a chance to ask Joe if that was the one that was missing.

Thanks for the post David!!!!  Did Rocket behave himself????  In answer to your question, ..."is anybody better than Joe?"  the answer is, "Hell No, It's only Joe,Joe,Joe!!!!"  Glad you had a great time.  Would have loved to have been there.  pattyluvsjoe

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

David, great to meet you too, it's always cool to put a face to a name !! The show was smokin' and it was like a reunion of sorts with the Joe hometown folks, and people who have met on here through Joe crossing paths again. I took a bunch of pictures and i'll get them out here tomorrow sometime. Oh and by the way, it seemed like Rocket behaved !!!!!!!! Glad a set list was posted, I didn't end up getting one. Concerts at breweries are trouble, at least for me anyway !!! Rock on everybody....Larry G

Thanks David! Great description of Joe's style.
LarryG, I love photos, can't wait to see 'em.
Sounds like a triumphant return for Joe to his old stomping grounds.

It indeed was a great show, great weather and a nice setting!
I was lucky enough to get a set list from the stage guy that was
tearing down equipment,  here it is verbatum:

Bridge to Better Days
Walk in My Shadows
So Many Roads
Mountain Time
Another Kind of Love
Sloe Gin
Highwater Everywhere
Heartache for Nickels
Woke Up Dreaming
Django
Just Got Paid
Asking Around for You/Los Endos

Joe Bonamassa / US Fall 2007 / 75 MIN. SET

I forgot to mention that on the set list,
Just Got Paid was underlined in the printing.

Anyone know what that might mean???

Hey David, nice post on the Utica show and sounds like a great setlist!  Look forward to seeing your pictures Larry.  What a combination being at a brewery and listening to Joe.

Music is good for the Soul...

JHawk wrote:

JHawk my setlist from Poole (Europe Summer 2007/ 75 mins) has also got Just Got Paid underlined.  I think I remember this is where Bogie did his drum solo or maybe it was simply the end of the set?  Yeh, I'm guessing .....

Thanks David for the set list! I was so caught up in Joe's performance I forgot to note all the songs. I agree that there is NO ONE like Joe. And yes, Rocket behaved himself. I am a good friend of his and kept him in line. On a side note, I would like to thank Joe for taking the time to talk to me after the show. He is such a nice, down to earth guy. His music is the most joyful and soulful I have ever heard.

LynB wrote:
JHawk wrote:

JHawk my setlist from Poole (Europe Summer 2007/ 75 mins) has also got Just Got Paid underlined.  I think I remember this is where Bogie did his drum solo or maybe it was simply the end of the set?  Yeh, I'm guessing .....

Yeah, I think you are right, there was a Bogie drum solo in that song.  Maybe it is to remind Joe to walk to the side and let Bogie loose!!  Thanks for the info, LynB.

LynB wrote:
JHawk wrote:

I think it most likely indicates the end of the main set.

What a show!!!!  And, for me, it was even better since I only live 3 miles from the Saranac Brewery.  I want to thank Joe and the band for an incredible performance....you did New York Mills proud Joe!  I also want to thank Joe's mom for talking with me after the show....she's a REAL nice lady!  I'd also like to thank Bogie for the autographed drumstick before the show.  Did anyone here see Joe at the MKJ Farm in Deanboro earlier in the summer??  I thought that Joe and the boys smoked, but since it was a mainly older Willie Nelson crowd, the response wasn't quite as good as I hoped.  But, of course, the crowd last night were totally into Joe and the band all night!  And, rightly so.  Especially in front of his hometown crowd.  Since I'm still relatively new to posting on this forum....I do not know any of you fine people yet.  You must be good people if you love Joe Bonamassa's playing!  Plus...what's not to love??  In line with McDonald's jingle...."I'm Lovin' It"   Dave K.

14 (edited by Rocket 2007-12-07 03:58:11)

I need to add that Bogie didn't "just" have a drum solo...He had a 3 and a half minute (maybe more) nut-cracking, face-slapping, knee-kicking, toe-tapping, freee-ba-domp-ta-da-whomp-wheeling, head-pounding, heart-thumping, butt-whumping, mind-blowing drum orbital launch experience that came outta G-d knows where. I have seen and heard drum solos before, BUTT, this one has to be one of the best.  Best or worst of all, depending on perspectives, I think he held back on what he can actually do on them things!!! Bogie can send a shock-and-awe power wave of ooomph that must register seismically.  AWESOME  Bog!!! I was absolutely awestruck.  Wish I could find him after shows. I coming after you next time dude!  Just Got Paid Today also has the Dazed & Confused (with the no fingers or pick strumming hand Page's banshee beating the strings sound) salutation.  Heard  Deep Purple, Frampton, & the Genesis & others bits along the way.  Biggest cheers, amongst many bigguns, went up for Woke Up Dreaming, Colonel Bogie's March, Sloe Gin, If Heartaches Were Nickels (which is like a neo-classical meets the blues orchestral arrangement now-cool!) and, despite a shaky start, where they all seemed to be at different paces until they hammmered it down s-o-l-i-d (Carmine gave 'em back the groove and set it straight-the guy is one incredibly badass bassist man, and with Rick putting in a very good solo-his sound is indeed quite vital to the synergy of the band), A Different Kind of Love.

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

15 (edited by Rocket 2007-12-07 04:00:55)

Jane, David has the setlist order perfect...Joe used Droolin' Demonsterastratofixation's Cha-cha-cha Cherry Bomb Sunbursting Strat, (only one all night excepting a black strat replacing Lucille mid-song on Asking Around For You due to difficulties) for Django, which had, especially with Rick Melnick's part, hair raising effect on the hairs on the back of my neck.  The rest of the guitars were Gibsons and "Bonnie" Gigliotti (sounding better than ever on Mountain Time).

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

Jane H. wrote:

pretty good from memory David! sounds like a nice length show there.
I am not sure about the squonk, i mean i wasn't there but i think people thought that before and it wasn't?
see ya!

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket ,
You gave a great show review indeed.!
Really wants me to go to another show. But we have to wait until October for the guys to come here to Holland.
But great reading your review.Fantastic man!
                                                                    wink           smile

17 (edited by Rocket 2007-09-01 23:13:13)

That security guy was about 2 and a half times my size Larry and he had to resort to threatening me with the cops??? Din't know who he was dealing with, did he yikes !  For the record, Joe got a 4 out of 4 stars approval rating from the 4 policemen assigned, as did the crowd-NO PROBLEMS (I was interviewing them without cuffs on btw).  They really liked him!!!  Kinda cool when a policeman can have a "relaxed" hands on hips look while intently, enjoyably watching-the performers on stage, not in the crowd!...Truly great!!!

LarryG wrote:

David, great to meet you too, it's always cool to put a face to a name !! The show was smokin' and it was like a reunion of sorts with the Joe hometown folks, and people who have met on here through Joe crossing paths again. I took a bunch of pictures and i'll get them out here tomorrow sometime. Oh and by the way, it seemed like Rocket behaved !!!!!!!! Glad a set list was posted, I didn't end up getting one. Concerts at breweries are trouble, at least for me anyway !!! Rock on everybody....Larry G

Yeah, this was one hell of a show!  Probably my favorite ever.  Didn't see anyone mention that Joe played the beginning of "Tea For One" (minus vocals).  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong .  Never thought I'd get to hear "Django".  "Sloe Gin" was unbelievable!!!  Nice seeing everyone there.  Hey David, nice to meet you. 

I asked Joe about whether he'll be playing the Turning Stone, & he said not this time (since they did the brewery & the MKJ Farms show with Willie).  I'll still keep hoping for a Christmas show (a nice time to get back home & visit the family, ya know). 

Thanx for the setlist too.

L8r... John

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown