Topic: Street Team Andy - Grammy Questions

The following is a cut/paste from the Grammy's Website. Admittedly, I am not that familiar with the music industry in general not the Grammy's in particular. I did notice that the nomination process entails receiving entries from, "Members and Registered Labels."

Needless to say, even a nomination would bring tremendous exposure. My question(s) are:

#1 Is anyone at J&R a member?
#2 If not, is there any value in becoming one?
#3 Is J&R a Registered Label?
#4 If not, is there any value in becoming one?
#3 Is Kevin Shirley a member who could submit an entry?
#4 Is anyone working on this project in general?

Here's a page that describes the different membership types, and forms to apply for membership:
https://www.grammy365.com/join/membership-types

You may be 5 steps ahead of me on this, but I would be interested to hear from you. Could be
that JB is already being entered every year, but just no luck yet?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home ► The Recording Academy ► The GRAMMY Awards

FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about the Voting Process
What's the difference between an entry and a nomination?
What are the eligibility requirements?
How are recordings entered?
Who can vote?
Who qualifies as a Voting Member?
How many GRAMMY categories are there?
How are categories changed or added?
What is the difference between Record Of The Year and Song Of The Year?
Are there vote solicitation guidelines?
What's the difference between an entry and a nomination?
Entries are recordings submitted for GRAMMY consideration. Entries that meet all eligibility requirements are then voted on by The Academy's voting members and the results of that vote are the nominations.

What are the eligibility requirements?
For the 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards, albums must be released between Oct. 1, 2011 and Sept. 30, 2012. Recordings must be in general distribution in the United States, i.e. sales by label to a branch or recognized independent distributor, via the Internet, or mail order/retail sales for a nationally marketed product.

How are recordings entered?
The Academy accepts entries online from its members and from registered labels. Entrants are provided information on how to submit their recordings electronically for consideration.

Who can vote?
Recording Academy voting members only. Record companies do not vote.

Who qualifies as a Voting Member?
Recording Academy voting members are professionals with creative or technical credits on six commercially released tracks (or their equivalent). These may include vocalists, conductors, songwriters, composers, engineers, producers, instrumentalists, arrangers, art directors, album notes writers, narrators, and music video artists and technicians.

How many GRAMMY categories are there?
There are currently 29 fields (Pop, Gospel, Classical, etc.) and 81 categories within those fields.

How are categories changed or added?
Proposals for changes to the categories are reviewed each year by The Academy's Awards & Nominations Committee, with final approval by The Academy's Trustees. Proposals may be submitted by any member. Contact the Awards department for more information.

What is the difference between Record Of The Year and Song Of The Year?
The Record Of The Year category recognizes the artist’s performance as well as the overall contributions of the producer(s), recording engineer(s) and/or mixer(s) if other than the artist. The Song Of The Year category recognizes the songwriter(s).

Re: Street Team Andy - Grammy Questions

I understand that they followed all necessary procedures to submit material for nominations last year. I don't know about this years nominations. Last year no positive outcome. Possibly the same results this year if they did submit.

jim m wrote:

I understand that they followed all necessary procedures to submit material for nominations last year. I don't know about this years nominations. Last year no positive outcome. Possibly the same results this year if they did submit.

Cool deal, thanks for the info. I figured they were on it, but had to ask.

About 3 or 4 years ago, I somehow found the list online of albums that were submitted for consideration in the Blues field. I forget which album it was at the time, but I did see the release from Joe that would have been eligible given the date. I think it was either LFNIP or TBOJH. Whatever it was, I did see it along with app. 40 - 50 other current releases from bands or artists commonly known on this forum. I also don't remember which 5 albums made the final nominations list, but obviously not Joe's. Also at that time there were two categories in the blues field - traditional blues album and contemporary blues album - now there is only one so it will make it that much more difficult for Joe to break through. Since then I have tried unsuccessfully to find the same annual list.

Great insight Lee.

Just spoke with someone here who confirmed that yes, Joe is submitted every year, we've just had no luck yet. What Lee mentioned is also correct, in that the Blues category has been narrowed down from two to one, making for even stiffer competition.

I'm sure there are also lots of other influencing factors that go into deciding who gets nominated and who wins. Crossing our fingers for next year!