1 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-02-01 03:43:52)

Topic: King King - feat. Alan & Stevie Nimmo

I've searched all over for a thread for King King, but there's 166 pages come up with any "King" reference, so hope you don't mind me kicking (another) one off.....

King King & Taylor/Dixon Band - Guisborough R'n'B Club - 28/6/12

What is it this year about King King, Guisborough & the weather? This gig was originally scheduled back in early February but cancelled due to the one really substantial snow fall and poor road conditions. You’d hardly think the same would happen at the end of June but about 2 hours before doors open there was a deluge that turned main roads to rivers and detered fans travelling down from Newcastle. However, some of us dug out our wellies for a blazing night.

Openers for the night, and lets face it, anyone sharing a stage with King King have to be worth their salt, and "local band" the Taylor-Dixon Band sure qualify, but sadly, tonight was to be thier swan-song. After several years, the members are moving on to different projects, so they’l still be performing round the region. That said, they were’nt just going to lie down and roll over - they turned in a blazing set of self-penned, standards and covers with their dual guitars and vocals as well as honkin’ harp that made you wish they’d stay together. But, if they wanted to call it a day, then they left with a set well worth remembering.

Then the main attraction; KIng KIng - Alan Nimmo, Lindsay Coulson, Wayne Proctor back behind the kit on his “evening job” and the sure and now familiar hands of Johnny Dyke on keys. This evening, Alan decided to forego the kilt - “it’s that warm in here and with the sight of my legs, someone’s sure to faint”. It was warm, and these guys kicked it up to pressure-cooker with their full set instead of the abridged one from Durham the previous Saturday. Again, and probably not surprisingly due to the weather, Feels Like Rain was again omitted; what we got instead was a new song - The Long History Of Love. I know, it was something I comented on last time, and it was a beauty of a slow burn ballad: the build up on Alan’s voice and then the take-over between Alan’s guitar and Johnny’s keys was sublime. If this is an indicator of the next album to come - mine’s already bought and paid. The whole set rocked and romped with most of the Take My Hand album played as well as 6 In The Morning and Gravy Train from their E.P. up to the closer Old Love, which Alan normally dedicates to his brother, but tonight he threw it open to any absent friends.

A packed Guisborough went ape for a storming encore which King King duely obliged and rounded off a hundred minute showcase of why they’re in the top percent of British touring bands. Not many could fill Guisborough on a wet, Thursday night and send them off with such a buzz.

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: King King - feat. Alan & Stevie Nimmo

It was the best band last year on the Blues Festival at Peer Belgium.It's a great band.
Walter from Belgium

Hi Walter,

First time I saw King King it was at Darlington's free Blues festival a couple of years back. Their stage was actually a flatbed lorry trailer, but they took the event by storm. I don't think they could have made a bigger impact if the lorry had come rolling into the market place - on fire. They blew off the headliner that year, and that was Geno Washington!!!

Mike

King King's new album - [strong]Standing In The Shadows[/strong] - due for release March 25th. One of 2013's big releases.

Those on King King's mailing list will know you can pre-order now (from site) for signed copy posted March 1st.

Lookin'forward to their new cd

"Few" dates round the UK:

Wed 13th Feb    The Half Moon Putney, London 
Thu 28th Feb   Poynton WMC, Poynton 
Fri 1st Mar  King King + Delta Dog  The Camerons Club, Hartlepool 
Sat 2nd Mar  King King + Stevie Nimmo  Long Street Blues Club, Devizes 
Sat 9th Mar King King + The Mentulls  Mickleton(RnB Club) Village Hall, County Durham 
Thu 14th Mar  Fibbers, York 
Fri 15th Mar King King + Alan Nimmo + Stuart James Band  The Boom Boom Club, Sutton 
Sat 16th Mar  Maltings Art Theatre, St. Albans 
Fri 22nd Mar  Citadel Arts Centre, St Helens 
Sat 23rd Mar  The Greystones, Sheffield 
Thu 18th Apr  King King + Alan Nimmo + Stuart James Band  Beaverwood Club, Chislehurst 
Sat 20th Apr   Cranleigh Arts Centre, Cranleigh 
Wed 24th Apr  Backstage @ Green Hotel Kinross, Kinross 
Fri 26th Apr  Yardbirds, Grimsby 
Sat 27th Apr  The Flowerpot, Derby 
Fri 3rd May  The Ropewalk, Barton Upon Humber 
Tue 28th May  100 Club, London 
Sat 15th Jun   Ripley (Blues Club) Town Hall  Harrogate 

Post if anyone knows of European dates.

They are doing a few dates in Belgium & Germany:

http://www.kingkingblues.com/gigs.html

King King’s new album came through the post yesterday; haven’t had chance to play it yet, but couple of interesting things to note.

Firstly, Wayne Proctor on drumstool and producer’s chair, so in good hands: I’m sure Wayne is bucking to outdo or at least match Joe Bonamassa on the number of albums he can appear on in a year.

Secondly, as well as a cover of Free’s Heavy Load, there’s a cover of Frankie Miller’s Jealousy; comparisons to Joanne Shaw Taylor will be inevitable.

I’ll not get a good listen to the album until Saturday, but will get a good taste tonight at Hartlepool; curious to see who’ll be on the drums as think Wayne is moonlighting already with Ron Sayer; and to see who’s on keys as Bennett Holland does the duties on the album.

The other topic is on page 3 Mike so discussed recently.

A new gig is a home date in Glasgow at the Oran Mor on Friday 14 June.

10 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-03-04 05:19:21)

Caught King King on Friday night, down at Hartlepool Camerons. As expected, they just blew the place apart; even managed what no pervious band has done there - got folk up dancing. Hartlepool is notoriously resistant to that, but Alan "didn't get dressed up for nothing". Wayne Proctor was on duty behind the drum kit; keyboards was a London guy, newish face to me, Dan Fellows(?).

Obviously mixing in the new material, Alan singing Jealousy as heartfelt tribute to Frankie Miller. Long History of Love should have been a pivital moment in the set, but mid solo Alan got a "swoosh" up the kilt as either the air-co or the bar dishwahers cut in; he managed to laugh it off, but not the best thing to have happen. However, more than made it up during Old Love. Old E.P. favourites 6am and Gravey Train got the feet itching and the guys showed just what an unstoppable force of nature King King is.

Opeing band was local guys Delta Dog - good ZZ Top covers and a bit Johnny "Guitar" Watson thrown in as well as an excellent self-penned number Blues In B Minor. Compare for the night, the inimitable Mr. Gary Grainger, and a capacity 200 audience in the upstairs room at Camerons.

TODAY : King King featured artists at Crossroads.

http://www.playcrossroads.com/u/kingking

You can listen to some tracks from the new album "Standing In The Shadows" .

I have the new album and it sounds great Eva.

http://www.fanzeyeview.com/king-king--- … adows.html

I love this band!! I've ordered the CD, which drops today, from a friend going to London. smile  Cathy

It's a great album Cathy.

i saw kingking last evening and they were great. was not a big venue, but it was totally packed. alan nimmo bluesed and rocked the place with his boys. as he is a kind of scotish bear, the guitars look very small on him, but he knows how to play it and loves what he does. they have dutch keyboard player who is doing a lot of interaction with alan.
the highlight was a song he did for his brother, starting slow getting wilder, than playing his guitar without electrics and then got back into a very very soulfull solo. i loved it and thanx mike for letting us know about that band. i only knew the nimmo brothers and got a cd of them.
Thomas

Thanks Ophrys - a band this good deserves to be shouted about. Due to get my next "fix" on April 25th at Newcastle Cluny.

I saw King King on friday near Cologne at a small club. It was my second King King show and was great as the first in Troisdorf was. Great great fun!
But what happenend with the keyborder? Wesseling on friday and Winterbach on saturday had different keyborders....

Thomas, I think the song you are speaking about ist "Old Love"  from Clapton. I love the king King version.

quicks