Re: Joe Bonamassa Signature ES-335 Registry

helrazr84 wrote:

#358 Seth Connors
Manchester, PA

I've been hankering for a 335 for some time now. Couldn't decide on a color. And I also like the looks of nickel hardware and such. So after a lot of hem hawing around, I decided to go with the JB335. It has a classy look and tone to match.

Overall I like the guitar. Really snappy sound, very articulate. The neck isn't what I expected, the center of the back being slightly flat is noticeable. The neck feels wider than my Traditional Standard with 50's neck. Reminds me actually of the neck on my SG Standard, maybe a hair thinner. So far I'm happy with it. Gonna change out the knobs for all gold as I don't care for mismatched. Had a spare amber switch tip at home that I also put on.

This thing really looks, feels and smells old, killer guitar. Even sounds kinda like a banjo unplugged on the unwound strings.

congrats cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Jim and Ron, thanks guys. I still can't get over how clear this guitar sounds. Must be the right combination of everything, right down to the hardware.

Congrats on your newest addition......

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

I would be interested to know if any of the existing JB ES 335 guitars have different color switch tips.  I have seen pictures online where the switch appears white or cream in color and still other sites that show vintage amber switch tips.  Also, it looks like first 100 related SN# guitars have lighter fretboards.  More recent pictures of those in the 101-360 range seem to have darker fretbooards.  Anybody know if their was a change in the type of rosewood from the first batch of 100 to the next?  Or if the recent legal issues at Gibson may have caused a change in the type/color of the wood?  I know every guiar is unique, but some of those fret boards appear to be much lighter in color, unless it is the lighting in the photographs.

They come with a cream switch tip. I had an amber one that I picked up as an extra at a guitar show, so I changed mine out. You answered your own question with the fretboard color. Every guitar will vary slightly but the nature of the photograph is what's showing noticeable differences in wood color. Granted I haven't seen all 300+ of them in person but I think they're all pretty consistent with the exception of the tops.

Helrazr84, was the cream switch tip on the guitar or was it in the case packaging?  The reason why I ask is that I have the opportunity to purchase a JB 335 with a SN under 100, but the photo depicts an amber switch tip and lighter fretboard.  Thinking that maybe they used an amber for the photo because they didnt' want to open the packaging.  On photos of models in the SN 100's they all show cream switch tips and darker fretboards.

133 (edited by helrazr84 2013-01-27 09:53:38)

The switch tip was on my guitar when I unboxed it, new. If you want an amber tip, they're only a couple bucks. The fretboard isn't going to be overly light in color like the baked maple ones Gibson uses on some guitars.

Incidentally, the only photo I've seen of this 335 model guitar with an amber tip was the one with a highly flamed top. Someone on another forum supposedly has that one.

134 (edited by fibre1 2013-01-27 13:51:41)

Does the binding meet the fret ends like on a Les Paul guitar or does it look like a vintage guitar that was refretted, whereby it wouldn't have the binding "tips" touching the frets?   I can't tell from the pictures.  I was looking at a Larry Carlton ES 335 recently and noticed it did not have the binding touching the frets.

fibre1 wrote:

Does the binding meet the fret ends like on a Les Paul guitar or does it look like a vintage guitar that was refretted, whereby it wouldn't have the binding "tips" touching the frets?   I can't tell from the pictures.  I was looking at a Larry Carlton ES 335 recently and noticed it did not have the binding touching the frets.

I guess you can say they have small nibs.  You can zoom in on these pictures

https://picasaweb.google.com/1145804437 … 5596532018

https://picasaweb.google.com/1145804437 … 8848865122

Jim

Very helpful.  Thanks for sharing!

The binding does overlay the fret ends but not quite as much as on a Les Paul like you mentioned. I looked at Jim's pictures and it is hard to tell even when you zoom, I think, but don't worry; there is a slight overlay.

My JB#77 arrived today.  Very nice guitar.  It did come with an amber switch tip, for whaterver reason.  I purchased it new from Musicians Friend private reserve site.  Really sweet sounding and neck is a nice shape as others  here have described.

fibre1 wrote:

My JB#77 arrived today.  Very nice guitar.  It did come with an amber switch tip, for whaterver reason.  I purchased it new from Musicians Friend private reserve site.  Really sweet sounding and neck is a nice shape as others  here have described.

Congrats, fibre, you lucky dog!

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

fibre1 wrote:

Congrats on the new addition.....#77 is a  cool number, the year Joe was born....:)

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

So it came with an amber switch tip...crisis averted! I played 2 notes on mine, fresh out of the case, and broke the high E string. Played it everyday since. Hope you like yours too. -S

fibre1 wrote:

Congrats!  I'll update the registry.  Where ya from?

Jim

Thanks all.  I am located in Melbourne, Florida.

fibre1 wrote:

Nice pick up. I was going to get that number (my bday year too) and I saw it was gone. Lucky dog!

Gibson Joe Bonamassa ES335
Gibson 2013 Les Paul Standard Plus - Tea Burst
Gibson 2009 Songwriter - Acoustic