19 (edited by Greenose 2012-12-09 16:56:53)

Re: The Scottish Blues Compilation Series: Jock's Juke Joint

Big thanks to Andre for this Dutch review of the first compilation:
http://www.bluesmagazine.nl/recensie-jo … land-vol-1

The second Jock’s Juke Joint is now out. There’s a stronger emphasis on capturing as many styles of blues as possible on this one. Here’s the sound clips: www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcazvKS1RzU

Here is a review from the prestigious US publication Blues Revue

Scotland Trailblazes the Best in British Blues and Beyond
This is the second release of the top Scottish blues talent following the highly acclaimed first volume, universally rated as one of the best compilations made in 2012, taking the listener on a roller coaster ride of blues styles and emotions. However, Volume 2 can now claim this accolade because it is even better, not least because of the sensational collaboration between Scots harp legend Fraser Speirs and young gun Lewis Hamilton. The instrumental “There You Are Now” is reminiscent of Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee at their peak, albeit in mellow mood, with harmonica and guitar in perfect synergy.

Another key factor contributing to the brilliance of the second volume is the continuing theme of superb harmonica playing on most of the 18 tracks. One of the leading exponents of this instrument is Richard Young, an Englishman now residing in Scotland, whose “Confidence Man” is a tour de force performance. Other harp giants include the Blues ‘n’ Troublefrontman Tim Elliott (“Try Anything Twice”), Danny Williams of The Kennel Wages (“Fighting Over You”), Ali Davies from The Binsness Bluesboys(“Crawdad Hole”), and Cameron Grey, who accompanies the excellent Jed Potts and the Hillman Hunters on”Don’t Tell Me.” Potts is a versatile guitarist who sounds like he was born in the Mississippi Delta but is also an accomplished folk musician with the renowned Jake Cogan Band.

Further high spots include Alan Sutherland’s piano playing on Wang Dang Delta’s “Shutting Out The World,” the earthy vocals of Cynthia Gentle’s “You Just Can’t Win” accompanied by the subtle rhythms of The Truetones, and John Alexander’s acoustic slide guitar and fingerpicking on “Nowhere To Go.” Folk-blues is represented by the eight-piece band The Black Diamond Express, swing from Baby Isaac, and old-school R&B courtesy ofThe Blueswater. Then there are the cool licks and hot riffs of The Lynsey Dolan Band, the soulful acoustics of Hot Tin Roof, and the unique progressive blues of Earl Grey and the Loose Leaves. The 4 Als, including guitarists Nimmo and Brown, and multi-talented Dougie Burns represent the long-serving stalwarts whilst Leah Gourley is the promising newcomer.

And within this variety lies the beauty and power of this entirely original offering, a surprise package and cornucopia of contemporary blues artists discovered by respected journalist Duncan Beattie on his travels. The CD has been lovingly produced by Lewis Hamilton whose father Nick takes the credit for the professional and creative photography and lay out. All in all,Jock’s Juke Joint is an important concept which shows how the genre is thriving in Scotland as the indomitable spirit of luminaries such as the lateTam White, Frankie Miller, Maggie Bell, Ian Anderson, and Jack Brucelives on within the country’s contemporary blues scene. Indeed, it is far more than that as each of the current generation of bluesmen and women represented here adds a fresh, distinctive and innovative approach and sound which is widening the appeal of the blues in the 21st century by taking it in a new direction.

http://bluesrevue.com/2012/12/various-a … 12-07-12/#
Available at www.lewishamiltonmusic.com http://www.birnamcd.com/ http://www.amazon.co.uk
Shortly to be on itunes and Amazon as a download, from all the featured bands, and me!

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

You're very welcome Greenose- Duncan.

it is a great album indeed!! So many different styles and so good.

Waiting for vol.2 !!!

Love the sound clips. How can I get this in the US?

Thanks Andre! Volume 2 is on it's way to you.... smile

Thanks Sniff. The first volume is available on Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/album/jocks-ju … mpt=uo%3D1 and Amazon as a download, and the second volume is due to go up next week.

If you prefer the CDs, you get get them through the record label: http://www.lewishamiltonmusic.com/SHOP.html or drop me a message, I can offer for the same amount.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)

Read another great review of the first volume of Jock's Juke Joint here and find out which featured artist, in the reviewer's opinion, makes Joe Bonamassa sound like Andy Williams!

http://bluesrevue.com/2012/12/various-a … -12-14-12/

24 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-12-21 05:21:06)

Duncan’s not kidding, JJJ2 is another belter of a compilation. This has got to be the best Scottish invasion since the Jacobites; then they came with Claymores and bagpipes, now they’re coming with Stratocasters and harmonicas.

Pick a standout track? Some chance; at the moment I’m listening to the Lynsey Dolan - Do Right Man track, and it reminds me of a young Elkie Brooks with a dash of Aretha; hop back to Cynthia Gentle & the True Tones - You Just Can’t Win and it’s reminiscent of Maggie Bell; that’s the sort of standard we’re talkin’. Just picking tracks at random, Wang Dang Delta - Shutting Out The World, as smooth as anything from Henrik Freischlader; Binsness Bluesboys - Crawdad Hole, as pure Delta roots as it comes: Black Diamond Express - Never Was A Lass So Fair; well, they say Blue Grass and the like was distilled from Celtic roots folk amongst other things; the Black Diamond guys are just bringing it back home, fine style; how do they get a fiddle to sound so mournful? And the final track, Fraser Spiers & Lewis Hamilton - There You Are Now; you get the feel of “old guard” passing on the baton to the new generation, and Lewis has to be one of the most organised and talented of the new bloods.

Can’t go through each track one-by-one, though each deserves a mention, but on the basis of this and the previous volume, put any 3 of these bands on a bus, send them south and any venue I know would be glad to have them, any night (if they know what’s good for them).

Congratulations Duncan, Lewis & Nick on another winner.  :win

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

BansheeUK wrote:

... hop back to Cynthia Gentle & the True Tones - You Just Can’t Win and it’s reminiscent of Maggie Bell; that’s the sort of standard we’re talkin’. ..J

Mike

Thanks very much for the kind words, Mike - in particular thanks from me and the TrueTones

Just got these CD's yesterday and truly enjoy them. Got a brief listen last night, wife and child are not real big fans of music being played loud. Today I strapped on the snowshoes with the the ipod and took a nice long hike around my property, what a great compilation of music.

PeteRabjohns wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

... hop back to Cynthia Gentle & the True Tones - You Just Can’t Win and it’s reminiscent of Maggie Bell; that’s the sort of standard we’re talkin’. ..J

Mike

Thanks very much for the kind words, Mike - in particular thanks from me and the TrueTones

Hi Pete;
I just say it as I see it - or rather "hear" it. The 2 albums are showcasing some really strong bands and music up in Scotland that deserves a wider audience. There's loads of decent venues here in the North east of England, of varying sizes, I think bands like yours could do pretty well in. Duncan already has a list of them, so give him a call, or I can pass them on to you myself.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Here's a little recap on all things JJJ
Since their release, the first two volumes of Jock's Juke Joint have been broadcast on over twenty UK radio stations, and a range of other countries, including the USA, France, Australia, Canada, Germany and the Netherlands. Reviews have appeared in Blues Revue (USA), Blues Matters (UK), Blues Magazine (Holland), Blues In Britain (UK), Wasser Prawda (Germany), R2 (UK) with more to come.  Paul Jones from BBC Radio 2  aired the opening track of volume 1 and stated he was “eagerly looking forward to receiving this very significant album”.

"These 2 CDs seem to represent a seminal moment in the history of the Blues in Scotland if I'm not mistaken. A kind of "perfect storm" if you like. It's a credit to all of those involved in the Scottish music scene generally, that this abundance of talent is allowed to flourish, right here and right now, but in particular, much kudos has to go to the "curators" of this exhibition" Jason Elliott (Hebden Bridge Blues Festival Director)

"Scotland Trailblazes the Best in British Blues and Beyond
This is the second release of the top Scottish blues talent following the highly acclaimed first volume, universally rated as one of the best compilations made in 2012, taking the listener on a roller coaster ride of blues styles and emotions. However, Volume 2 can now claim this accolade because it is even better... Each of the current generation of bluesmen and women represented here adds a fresh, distinctive and innovative approach and sound which is widening the appeal of the blues in the 21st century by taking it in a new direction". Blues Revue

"A wonderful anthology of what is going on in the blue fields of Scotland. Personally, I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of what is offered" Blues Magazine (Netherlands)

"Fantastic, at last a compilation of some of the best blues talent in Scotland. Over the past few years there has been a plethora of exponents of this genre , keeping up the legacy of such greats as Frankie Miller, and this release gives tasters of such talent." Blues Matters

"When most people think of British blues, they think of England, to London and other such places. But even in the Highlands and cities such as Glasgow and Edinburgh, a versatile and vibrant blues scene has developed..." Wassa Prawda Scotch & Blues feature (Germany)

"Now this is what I call a 'concept album' - 17 tracks united only by love of blues and of the Saltire. Several Scots artists have established themselves on the UK blues-scene in recent years. The next wave hopes this collection will be their springboard... We hear there are further volumes to come. Here's hoping for many more of them!" Blues In Britain (UK)

"Compilation albums. Funny things. Various artists usually means that quality varies and you end up skipping lots of the songs that you don't like. To put an album of different styles together that people will listen to and not skip tracks takes some doing but that is what has happened here!" Wasser Prawda - Vol 2 Review (Germany)

Scotland has produced some of the finest British blues exponents, not least The Nimmo Brothers, Tam White, Rev Doc and Blues ‘N’ Trouble. This album demonstrates that the production line remains in very good order right across the blues spectrum"
Blues In The North West

Jock’s Juke Joint is a great purchase for blues fans, a great introduction to a vibrant Scottish scene and a really well picked compilation of very fine music.
Ian McHugh, UKJazz Radio, Tonemonkey, Blues Is The Truth - Vol 1 Review

"It’s with some joy that I can reveal that the greatest of care seems to have been made with regards to song choice, pacing and style in order to give the disc a palpable sense of flow and wholeness. It’s a real achievement with a compilation, and something that should be a justifiable source of pride. What is also excellent is that, somehow, the acts and song here match if not exceed the excellent volume one in quality and variety. It seems that Scotland is the new delta, and with a little something for everyones taste."
Ian McHugh, UKJazz Radio, Tonemonkey, Blues Is The Truth - Vol 2 Review

"The CD sounds great. I think the concept of pooling Scottish talent is a great idea, it's about time the British blues community started pulling in the same direction!!"
Alan Nimmo

"Judging from the array of talent displayed on this disc it is time for blues music promoters to invest in Scottish talent and help to present them to a far wider audience. This album does not disappoint on any level and no matter what your particular Blues Bag is you will be sure to find something to tickle your fancy"
Tim Elliot, Blues N Trouble

"It’s great to see a wide range of original blues and blues based material coming from a fantastic bunch of Scottish artists, who will no doubt make their presence known further afield”
Dave Arcari

Volume 1 was released in September, volume 2 in November with a final volume scheduled for the spring of 2013.

All so true!

I'm very pleased to say that Paul Jones opened his show on BBC Radio 2 on Monday with Jam'Al, taken from Jock's Juke Joint Vol 2.
The song features Alan Nimmo with fellow Glasweigen musicians Al Brown and Al Thompson, plus Canadian drummer Al Webster (Colin James, Jeff Healey) 

Jam'Al https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbFXNGEg_XA

You can hear the whole programmme here for the next week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pz0sd

Like volume 1, Jock's Juke Joint vol 2 is on Itunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/album/jocks-ju … mpt=uo%3D1

31 (edited by Greenose 2013-02-10 17:21:38)

The two volumes have now been aired on over 50 radio shows in a dozen countries.

In addition to reviews from Blues Matters, Blues in Britain, Maverick and R2 here is a review from Blues Underground Network in Canada:

Jock's Juke Joint "Contemporary Blues From Scotland Vol. 1 & 2" (UK)

I really like compilation albums, mainly because of the fact that they can be a great medium for introducing one to a wide range of Artists for whom you may not know a lot of them, if any. Jock's Juke Joint "Contemporary Blues From Scotland Vol 1 & 2" are 2 compilation albums which have managed to introduce me to nearly 3 dozen great artists and I can't wait for Vol. 3 to come out later in 2013 to get introduced to another group of amazing artists.

Before we go any farther lets clear up the fact that Jock's Juke Joint, does not exist, as it is based on the theme of a fictitious Scottish Juke Juke, the concept being the music contained, on the so far 2 CD's, is what one would wish they could hear in such an establishment.

The first CD consists of 17 Tracks, of which only 2 of the Tracks contained music from artists I was familiar with, Track 6 "Fallin For Foolin' by the Bare Bones Boogie Band and Track 10 "Blonde Snapper" by Sleepy Eyes Nelson. Both those artists were chosen by me for "Best UK Blues Album" in my Blues Underground Network Year End Reviews, with BBBB chosen in 2010 and Sleepy Eyes Nelson in 2011.

Both these albums contain what can only be described as a Blues Lovers Dream Come True, whether it be the opening Kickin' Boogie Blues Number, "Shake Rag Boogie" (Stevey Hay's Shades Of Blues), which gets the whole party started, the Blues Rockin' "Empty Roads" (Lewis Hamilton And The Boogie Brothers), or the Super Slidefest Hill Country Blues Tune, "Fever" (Gus Munro), you will certainly be either glued to your chair or the dance floor unable to really think of anything but the great tunes flying out of your Stereo, and thats just Vol. 1, as Vol. 2 has all that and more.

The second CD consists of 18 Tracks and starts off, as did the first CD, with another great lets start the party number, "Try Anything Twice" (Blues 'N' Trouble), a super Guitar Driven number that throws in some great Keys work a little over halfway through. Those that like a little Swingin' Boogie will certainly enjoy the instrumental, "Jam'al" (The 4 Al's), and one I really enjoyed was "Crawdad Hole" (Binsness Bluesboys), a nice slow number that plays back and forth between Harp and Sax. It also had a great little moment where the group all sung in Harmony... Absolutely Magical.

In addition to the absolutely fantastic music on these 2 CD's, Jock's Juke Joint "Contemporary Blues From Scotland Vol. 1 & 2", also each contain a fabulous booklet which has a little bit of history about all the bands and artists on these 2 compilation CD's. That for me was a real nice extra bonus.

Jock's Juke Joint "Contemporary Blues From Scotland Vol. 1 & 2" was hands down, the best 2 compilation CD's I have ever heard. Really good stuff, from beginning to end, and truly something that I really can't recommend highly enough. It is all here folks and believe me, once you give Vol. 1 & 2 a listen, you will be anxiously waiting for Vol. 3, as I certainly am.

5*****, for sure, for Jock's Juke Joint "Contemporary Blues From Scotland Vol. 1 & 2"

Review by John Vermilyea (Blues Underground Network)
http://www.bluesundergroundnetwork.com/Jock's_Juke_Joint_CD.html

These 2 CD's have been my new snow removal favorites, got to listen to them again today while snow blowing the drive way. If you don't own them you should !

As anyone promoting blues will know, it's exceptionally difficult to get mainstream coverage of the genre. However I'm happy to report we've heard this review from The Herald, which is the most popular broadsheet newspaper in Scotland:

Any construct you may be tempted to see in the name of this disc, analogous to a political debate under way in these lands, is wide of the mark.

The album is what it says on the tin, even if Nick Hamilton's cover image of Birnam Post Office dressed up as a late-night music bar is indeed a Photo-shop construction.

The crucial detail not to miss in these 17 tracks is that every one is self-composed by the artists performing. At no point will you think: I'd rather be hearing this person retread Dust My Broom, Crossroads or Little Red Rooster. Because this collection of blues songs contains new gems, often less than contemporary sounding lyric-wise, and, in the case of Ruff Cut's Mr Friend Mr 44, only rather unfortunately so.

I had heard of few of the bands anthologised here, but the standard is universally high and the styles varied, with some superb juxtapositions like the acoustic Sleepy Eyed Nelson next to the garage pulse of The Yahs. Some great singing and a deal of very fine guitar-playing sits alongside bursts of colour on mouth and larger organ. Here is a Scots underground scene that many will be pleased to discover.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents … c.20269977

Great coverage Duncan but I just wish readers would take more notice and do something to support this music scene rather than shell out hundreds of £'s to see the likes of Fleetwood Mac and The Who. Or indeed attend the small concerts in addition to the 'big' ones.

Kenny wrote:

Great coverage Duncan but I just wish readers would take more notice and do something to support this music scene rather than shell out hundreds of £'s to see the likes of Fleetwood Mac and The Who. Or indeed attend the small concerts in addition to the 'big' ones.

Certainly Kenny. I was one of those myself, who would go to every touring blues act who came to Scotland, without knowing anything about the talent on my own doorstep.
Scotland is not unique in that respect, there must be great acts where every reader from this forum lives, and I believe other similar projects will surface. I'm just glad we thought of it first! smile

There's a also review of both volumes of Jock's Juke Joint written by editor Ed Mitchell in Classic Rock Magazine's The Blues Edition, in the shops today. It starts with the line: "If you were in any doubt that Scotland is hoachin' wi' great blues talent, these two excellent collections will put you straight."

Such is the anticipation for the final volume of the Jock's Juke Joint trilogy; it has been selected as album of the month for April by the Independent Blues Broadcasters Association (which includes up to 20 leading independent blues DJs). As per previous volumes, the album combines regular established blues artists, such as Sandy Tweeddale, Linda Jaxson and The Blues Devils, with up and coming acts such as the Afghan Hounds and GT Boos Band. Scots based elsewhere include Lancashire based The Stumble and for the first time out with the UK, including Robbie Hill & The Blue 62's based in Finland.

http://www.bluesbroadcasters.co.uk/aotm.htm

The album is third in the series of Jock’s Juke Joint, which is an exciting and varied collection of original contemporary Scottish blues music, based on the theme of a fictitious Scottish Juke Joint. The first volume of the series was released on the Lewis Hamilton Music label in September 2012. It included such notable acts as Gerry Jablonski & The Electric Band, Stevey Hay, The Jensen Interceptors, the Bare Bones Boogie Band, the Dana Dixon Band, Lewis Hamilton & Albany Down. Paul Jones from BBC Radio 2 aired the opening track from what he termed a “very significant album”. Volume 1 was quickly followed by a second volume in November 2012, which includes acts such as Blues N Trouble, Alan Nimmo, Baby Isaac, Wang Dang Delta, Cynthia Gentle & The True Tones and the Binsness Bluesboys. The two volumes have garnered a high level of interest in the international blues scene including airplay in a dozen countries from over 60 radio shows.

Prominent reviews have been published by Blues Matters, Classic Rock Presents The Blues, Maverick Country, Blues In The North West and Blues In Britain, The Herald, plus international coverage from Blues Revue (USA), Blues Underground Network (Canada), Wasser Prawda (Germany), Keys & Chords (Belgium) and Blues Magazine (Holland).

Available through Amazon and Itunes, Jock’s Juke Joint has created a greater level of interest in the Scottish blues scene, with five of the featured artists receiving nominations in the British Blues Awards song writer's competition. Maryport Festival have dedicated a stage to the artists involved in the project who also feature prominently at other events such as the Thornhill Music Festival and the Leith Festival.