1 (edited by airportdon 2012-12-06 10:23:25)

Topic: 2013 Grammy Nominations Best Blues album

2013 Grammy Nominations for Best Blues Album:
47. Best Blues Album
33 1/3Shemekia Copeland
[Telarc International]Locked DownDr. John
[Nonesuch]Let It BurnRuthie Foster
[Blue Corn Music]And Still I RiseHeritage Blues Orchestra
[Raisin' Music]Bring It On HomeJoan Osborne
http://www.grammy.com/nominees

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

2 (edited by Curby 2012-12-07 17:25:13)

Re: 2013 Grammy Nominations Best Blues album

airportdon wrote:

2013 Grammy Nominations for Best Blues Album:
47. Best Blues Album
33 1/3Shemekia Copeland
[Telarc International]Locked DownDr. John
[Nonesuch]Let It BurnRuthie Foster
[Blue Corn Music]And Still I RiseHeritage Blues Orchestra
[Raisin' Music]Bring It On HomeJoan Osborne
http://www.grammy.com/nominees

Typically lame nominees in everything except Rap.  Has been irrelevant for decades and not worth my time.

I like Shemekia Copeland a lot...

Hmpf ......... "exciting" nominees .....

I like Joan Osborne but had no idea she even released a "blues" album. From what I have seen or heard of Ruthie she is a real talent. The Dr. John album had Dan Aurbach Black Keys guy so that would be the reason I'm sure. Dr. John was at the King of the Blues thing and was less than impressive. I still don't understand Shemekia not a fan. Seems like it would of been the year for Joe DTTD.

These all are label supported releases. I think that seems to matter. Again these all need the boost in sales that a Grammy would give them. It could double their pretty anemic numbers and if any would tour today I think average ticket sales would be around 100 paid. Not much excitement here I agree Eva. I'm guessing you were being sarcastic. wink

jim m wrote:

Not much excitement here I agree Eva. I'm guessing you were being sarcastic. wink

Nooo, not at all. wink

I'm not saying that the albums they nominated are bad (even though I'm not a Shemekia fan either) - the choice is just pretty predictable and, as usual, leaves so many artists out of the nominations who don't have the big label (or T Bone Burnett..) behind them. I'm happy we agree on something Jim!! wink

Eva

Saw Shemekia Copeland with her Fabulous Band live in Madison, Wisconsin on October 17th and trust me, it was some of the best Funky Soul/Blues you could imagine! cool She was more than gracious with her time and I even got to help her down from the stage holding her hand as she descended the staircase. I then kissed the backed of her hand and she smiled and thanked me. Her album that is named above is Fantastic and if you don't have a copy, I would recommend you pick one up.

Roy

Joe is the Best!