Re: Welcome back Aynsley Lister!!!

For those who don’t twitter, or haven’t yet found it on YouTube, here’s an overview or what Aynsley got up to in Switzerland in October for the SEAT sessions:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwvVbnon … u.be&a

Not sure if there will be a DVD release of the shows, outside SEAT corporation anyway, so if you’re fancying buying an Ibiza or other model - specify a copy as an “extra” on purchase.

MIke

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Ah, you know it’s winter and that corpulent guy is packing his sleigh when Aynsley’s attentions turn towards Newcastle & The Cluny. Virtually has the feel of a “hometown” gig; Aynsley & the band are “up for it” and so is a packed Cluny and boy, was it a great evening despite Aynsley fighting a re-curring cold.

First set just lifted the place, Steve and Boneto (Bunny) driving the set along, Aynsley & Andre threading arpeggios between each other for all they were worth. I’m not usually down the front, but made an exception and what a joy to watch Aynsley rake, sweep, hammer and slide on his 3 chosen guitars. Thing about being down the front, you get a “clarity” of sound from the monitors and have to say, of the new songs, Inside Out sounded pretty amazing.

Short break, and the guys were back on for the second set which was kicked off with Hero, apprpriate as it turned out, as Aynsley was fighting to maintain his vocals, though from the audience, you wouldn’t have noticed. In the end, In The Morning was dropped as set closer and Purple Rain was moved up while he could still manage it (and avoid being exiled to Sunderland). Under the circumstances, an encore was doubtful, but Aynsley and the band came back on, and odds were on it being Quiet Boy! and indeed a blues shuffle that would dispell any doubters that Aynsley’s lost his “blues mojo” kicked up and the man managed a couple of verses before bringing the night to a rapturous close.

I don’t know if anyone managed to hear anything Aynsley said durning his signings after the show, his voice was so ragged; but hope he was recovered enough for Kendal & Edinburgh. I haven’t been on-line over the week-end, so I’m assuming they went ahead. They were determined not to cancel, and we bounced round a couple of names in case a substitute vocalist was required.

Mike

The gig went ahead, was mainly an instrumental set from Aynsley and the band with Lewis Hamilton providing vocals on a number of songs. Aynsley Lister as you've never seen him before!

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Greenose wrote:

The gig went ahead, was mainly an instrumental set from Aynsley and the band with Lewis Hamilton providing vocals on a number of songs. Aynsley Lister as you've never seen him before!

Were the songs better with Lewis singing?  Just curious, but I've noticed a slight rasp in his singing the past three years that wasn't present on his earlier albums.  Being free of vocals must of allowed him to really shine on guitar.

Curby wrote:
Greenose wrote:

Were the songs better with Lewis singing?  Just curious, but I've noticed a slight rasp in his singing the past three years that wasn't present on his earlier albums.  Being free of vocals must of allowed him to really shine on guitar.

Just heard, it was a similar situation in Kendal on Saturday night, with an unkonwn local, "Jonty" standing in, filling in what was mainly an instrumental set. Got a fair reception, considering on Friday night we were tossing round names like Virgil McMahon and Steve (Marillion's h) Hogarth as substitutes.

We would have been up for that but we had got in from a gig a 6am, had a jolly for 3 hours to unwind. Virges voice would have been shot.

BansheeUK wrote:
Curby wrote:
Greenose wrote:

Just heard, it was a similar situation in Kendal on Saturday night, with an unkonwn local, "Jonty" standing in, filling in what was mainly an instrumental set. Got a fair reception, considering on Friday night we were tossing round names like Virgil McMahon and Steve (Marillion's h) Hogarth as substitutes.

61 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-12-04 08:30:18)

You might want to get in touch and see how things are shaping up for Bristol on Wednesday; Jon Amor or Jay Tamkin might be getting a text......

mbcl wrote:

We would have been up for that but we had got in from a gig a 6am, had a jolly for 3 hours to unwind. Virges voice would have been shot.

BansheeUK wrote:
Curby wrote:

Curby wrote:
Greenose wrote:

Really enjoyed the Edinburgh gig!  1st time i've seen Aynsley and will have to catch the 'full' show next time.  1st time seeing a mainly instrumental gig aswell and it was good to focus on the guitar work and interaction with the band considering the most of it would have been un-rehearsed.

Lewis did vocals on the covers as opposed to any of Aynsley's songs (I think, correct me if i'm wrong?!) and did a great job.  Some brilliant jamming between them aswell.

Some videos from the night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9E_c6TX … ature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug7q6dYv … ature=plcp

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Went to see Aynsley at Scarborough Blues Club last night. This is the second time I have been to this venue and only the second time I have seen Aynsley and his band play live. I was not disappointed. A lovely venue by the sea, warm and friendly crowd and run so well by local music enthusiasts.

Aynsley played two sets performing old songs, one or two covers (including Purple Rain) and some songs to be featured from the new studio album which I think is due out early next year. The band were joined by special guest Andrew Pipe, guitar player from The Mentulls which was superb and everyone seemed to enjoy. For those who have not seen this band please make the effort to see them in 2013. They play with real style and class. A thoroughly enjoyable night.

Glad you got the chance to jam with Aynsley that you didn't get at Ripley earlier in the year; shame I couldn't get down to Scarborough to catch it.

Aynsley's been nursing his voice the past few gigs, since it gave out on him at The Cluny, so he's been doing more in the way of instrumenTALS and getting guests up to jam; and by all accounts, everybody's been enjoying it.

66 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-01-17 08:12:25)

Aynsley's on the road for 2013; the usual mix of Solo, Solo/Duo and Band shows, some festival appearances. UK only at the moment, but sure there'll be more to follow:-

Feb 13 Nottingham - SOLD OUT! Lowdham -Solo/Duo
Feb 14 Nottingham - SOLD OUT! Lowdham -Solo/Duo
Feb 15 Kendal Bootleggers - Please note: all tickets from the December gig remain valid for this event-Band
Feb 21 Crawley The Hawth - Solo
Feb 22 Crawley The Hawth - Solo
Feb 24 Cockermouth Saints Rooms - Band
Mar 01 Eastney The Cellars - Solo/Duo
Mar 03 Doncaster Blues Festival Doncaster Dome - Band
Mar 07 Putney Half Moon -  Band
Mar 10 Leicester The Musician - Solo/Duo
Mar 14 Swansea The Scene - 07896672012 Please note: this is a new venue (formerly Milkwood Jam). Their website will be live shortly to buy tickets. - Band
Mar20 Cheltenham Vonnie's Blues Club - Band
Apr 03 Backnell he Cellar Bar, South Hill Park Arts Centre - Solo
Apr12 Burton-upon-Trent Brewhouse Arts - Solo/Duo
Apr 27 St. Helens Citadel - Band
May 4 Sedgefield R'n'B Club - Band?
May 11 Bury The Met - Solo/Duo
May 24 Hebden Bridge - Blues Festival
Main Stage, at Hope Baptist Chapel - info@hebdenblues.co.uk - Band
June 22nd - Greystones, Sheffield.
Aug 30th - The Tunnels, Bristol.
New album is planned to be ready for May, so possibly available at latter end of tour.

Mike

May 30 - Cafe Steinbruch, Duisburg, Germany

68 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-01-17 08:15:05)

May 4th - Sedgefield R'n'B Club (Parish Hall) Aynsley + Mitch Laddie (tbc)

Aynsley's the first headliner to play return visit.  Nice way to spend "Jedi Day".

Add Aug 30th - Bristol; Tunnels.

20 October 2013 - Blues Rhede, Germany

Yeah. Ainsley playing 1 of my top 5 venues.

Funny how things come back round sometimes: when this thread was started, it referred more to a comeback in form for Aynsley, as far as Cathy, was concerned.

But now, Tower Sessions is nearly 3 years old and no definite sign of any new product until now. Aynsley has re-grouped and been in the studio with Wayne Proctor, Steve Amadeo and Andre Bassing and a new album, Home is in the final stages of production. The title track has been aired on the road, but apparently it's been turned into a grinding blues funk number. Feelin' Good has also made the cut, and been turned up a bit, and there's also another cover, in the vein of Crazy, but they're keeping the title a secret for now.

The exciting news is that will be Aynsley's first release on a new label - Straight Talkin' - his own label, so guess it's going to be a very special album.

Release date is expected to be in May, with a date in July being sorted for a release party (Midlands venue tbc).

So, "Welcome Back Aynsley Lister" indeed.

Mike

71 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-02-27 07:11:26)

Aynsley's doing an early festival appearance at Doncaster Dome on Sunday (March 3rd) afternoon.

Good line-up for £19.

Lucy Zirins 2-2.50
Avit 3-4
Laurence Jones 4.20-5.20
Aynsley Lister 5.40-6.40
Nimmo Bros 7-8
(MT's )Wishbone Ash 8.30-10

Aynsley did a cracking set last week-end at Doncaster, albeit only 60 mins, and just heard he had a romp last night at the Half Moon, Putney.

Upcoming gig in Swansea on the 14th March has been postponed however, sad  The venue failed recent fire inspection and work is ongoing to get it back up to spec. Trying like mad to re-schedule the gig, new date tba.