1 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-04-02 08:18:46)

Topic: Mitch Laddie

Finally! Got this year's concert diary up and running after our one winter snow storm put the kybosh on King King 2 weeks earlier. I was getting so desperate waiting for a gig I was playing Cure Cds to cheer myself up. Anyway, barely a week goes by that Tommy at Hartlepool doesn't serve up a treat and Friday he pulled of a combination that worked well last year, but with a twist.

Poplar Jake, came up again from Oxford and did another spellbinding set of acoustic, rootsy blues despite a very painful sounding sore-throat. Jake did a very brave show, with the aid of a bit brandy (purely medicinal) of his mix of Robert Johnson's and other archival classics as well as a couple of self-penned numbers. The rawnes of his throat gave a gritty quality over some great acoustic guitar; he put a lot in to his set, just hope it hasn't aggrivated his throat more.

Mitch is back on the road to push that "tricky" second album, and most of his split set was based round it, 6 or 7 new songs in all. Don't think he's going to have any problems with the album though, what I heard sounded pretty sweet and you wouldn't think a Geordie could sound that "funky". There's still very much an Eric Johnson sound to his playing but So Excited showed a more conventional "blues" edge. However, it seemed to be one of those injury prone nights; don't know if it was by accident or intent but Mitch called a short break after a blazing Hendrix cover after ripping a hang-nail and his Fender's scratch-plate looking more like a blood-spattered crime scene.

Finger taped up and band fueled on the customary free nosh that Tommy lays on, they tore into a couple of new and old numbers before our treat - Mitch was joined on stage by Andrew Pipe of The Mentulls to sit in on storming covers of Standing On Shaky Ground and Foxy Lady. Last year, I'd say that Mitch played a key role in 2 of my 10 highlights of the year, and judging by the toe-to-toe he did with Andrew, and later with Poplar Jake on slide guitar, he's aiming to do the same again.

Unfortunately, and my apologies to Mitch, I wasn't able to stay till the end of the gig, but what I heard was a pretty good way to get things started.

Mike

PS, anyone wanting to catch up with Mitch:-

THE YARDBIRDS CLUB, GRIMSBY UK - 01/03/12
THE GRAND, BISHOP AUCKLAND UK - 02/03/12
THE BROOK, SOUTHAMPTON UK WITH WALTER TROUT - 06/03/12
NEWCASTLE 02 ACADEMY, NEWCASTLE UK WITH WALTER TROUT - 07/03/12
LEEDS CITY VARIETIES, LEEDS UK WITH WALTER TROUT - 08/03/12
SHEFFIELD 02 ACADEMY, SHEFFIELD UK WITH WALTER TROUT - 09/03/12
CLITHEROE GRANDE, CLITHEROE UK WITH WALTER TROUT - 10/03/12
NEWCASTLE GUITAR SHOW, FEDERATION BREWERY GATESHEAD UK - 11/03/12
THE LOWRY, SALFORD UK WITH WALTER TROUT - 11/03/12
LE BLUES AUTOUR DU ZINC FESTIVAL, BEAUVAIS FR - 22/03/12
LE BLUES AUTOUR DU ZINC FESTIVAL, BEAUVAIS FR - 23/03/12
LE BLUES AUTOUR DU ZINC FESTIVAL, BEAUVAIS FR - 24/03/12
BULLINGDON ARMS, OXFORD UK - 26/03/12
100 CLUB, LONDON UK WITH STAN WEBB’S CHICKENSHACK - 27/03/12
THE STABLES, MILTON KEYNES UK WITH VIRGIL & THE ACCELERATORS - 03/04/12
THE DEMI, CONSETT UK - 07/04/12
MANCHESTER 02 ACADEMY, MANCHESTER UK WITH OLI BROWN - 11/04/12
MOJO CLUB 62 PALLUEL-PAS-DE-CALAIS FR - 14/04/12
LEAMINGTON SPA ASSEMBLY, UK WITH OLI BROWN - 28/04/12
THE APEX, BURY UK WITH OLI BROWN - 30/04/12
HEBDEN BRIDGE BLUES FESTIVAL, HEBDEN BRIDGE UK 02/06/12
DURHAM BLUES FESTIVAL, DURHAM - 23/06/12
CLEETHORPES BLUES FESTIVAL, CLEETHORPES UK - 24/06/12
RHYTHM FESTIVAL, BEDFORDSHIRE UK - 24-26/08/12

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

2 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-03-05 03:55:24)

Re: Mitch Laddie

Caught up with Mitch again on Friday night; a "low-key" pre-Walter Trout Tour warm-up gig at The Grand in Bishop Auckland.

Gary Grainger from Bishop FM opened the evening with a half-hour selection of acoustic americana from his vast repertoire, only eclipsed by his 'tache.... Mitch's set was very much the same as previously is Hartlepool, have to say the new stuff seems to have bedded in easily with a little alteration to the set list. This time round, for this hour long part set, he was able to give it the full beans as he wasn't working round a ripped fingernail.

Again, the second half pretty much followed the same course though during the Shaky Ground and Foxy Lady covers he didn't have Andrew Pipe to spar with, but another friend who played a pretty hot telecaster. Since the venue was only a couple of miles from home, I didn't have to sneak out early for fear my "taxi" turned into a pumpkin and managed to ctach the whole set; not least because Poplar Jake was hanging round the room. Mitch unleashed what's going to be his tour de force for this year, a searing Inner City Blues; now Mitch can't sing like Marvin Gaye, but then Marvin Gaye couldn't play guitar like this, so a fair trade-off. That lad brought the set down with his new slow ballad and then his re-worked Mr Johnson instrumental showcase to close the set before being called back to encore with a brief but blazing Voodoo Chile.

This may have started out as a "warm-up" gig, but after nearly 150 minutes playing, Mitch, Rhian and Matt were cooked to perfection. On this strength, they're going to blaze along with Walter Trout over the coming weeks.

Mike

Well I've got some mid week Trout lined up at Newcastle and am off to Durham Blues - so will finally catch up with Mitch. I'll let you know what I think. Dave

Giving Walter gig a miss - probably see you at Durham Blues

Mike

BansheeUK wrote:

Giving Walter gig a miss - probably see you at Durham Blues

Mike

I'm always underwhelmed beforehand at the prospect of another Walter gig  - but always enjoy it - so always go!!

6 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-11-05 10:47:42)

Following his "local boy" appearence at the Durham Blues Festival this coming Saturday, looks like Mitch has set his table for the rest of the year.

JUNE 2012
23 DURHAM BLUES FESTIVAL, DURHAM 
23 THE MEETING ROOMS, ELLAND, HALIFAX UK 
24 CLEETHORPES BLUES FESTIVAL, CLEETHORPES UK
JULY 2012
20 THE OX INN, STANLEY UK
22 CLOWNE ROCK & BLUES, CLOWNE UK
27 THE HORSE AND GROOM, CASTLESIDE UK
AUGUST 2012
9 THE BEAVERWOOD CLUB, CHISLEHURST UK support from LAURENCE JONES
10 THE BOOM BOOM CLUB, SUTTON UK support from LAURENCE JONES
24 RHYTHM FESTIVAL, BEDFORDSHIRE UK
SEPTEMBER 2012
7 THE FLOWERPOT, DERBY UK - support from LAURENCE JONES
17 JERICHO TAVERN, OXFORD UK
22 THE MEETING ROOMS, ELLAND, HALIFAX UK
26 THE ROBIN 2, WOLVERHAMPTON UK support from LAURENCE JONES
30 MIDDLESBOROUGH EMPIRE, MIDDLESBOROUGH UK    With AYNSLEY LISTER, local boy TOM ATKINSON opening.
OCTOBER 2012
3 THE FERRY, GLASGOW UK with WALTER TROUT
4 CARNEGIE THEATRE, DUNFERMLINE UK with WALTER TROUT
5 PICTUREDROME, HOLMFIRTH UK with WALTER TROUT
6 BEAUFORT THEATRE, EBBW VALE UK with WALTER TROUT
8 FIBBERS, YORK UK with WALTER TROUT
11 STAG THEATRE, SEVENOAKS UK with WALTER TROUT
12 TIVOLI THEATRE, WIMBORNE UK with WALTER TROUT
14 THE ASSEMBLY, LEAMINGTON SPA UK with WALTER TROUT
15 THE CITADEL, ST HELENS UK with WALTER TROUT 16 JAZZ CAFE, LONDON UK with WALTER TROUT
20 AFTER HOURS, BEAUVAIS FR
23 KAUE, GELSENKIRCHEN DE with WALTER TROUT
24 DOWNTOWN LIVE CLUB, HAMBURG DE with WALTER TROUT
NOVEMBER 2012
5 THE GRAND, BISHOP AUCKLAND UK Local venue for me
17 THE THREE TUNS, GATESHEAD UK
18 SHILDON CIVIC HALL, SHILDON UK My back yard!!!
21 NETHERLANDS PROMOTIONAL TOUR
22 NETHERLANDS PROMOTIONAL TOUR
23 NETHERLANDS PROMOTIONAL TOUR
24 CAFE MAX, STAVOREN NL
25 NETHERLANDS PROMOTIONAL TOUR
26 NETHERLANDS PROMOTIONAL TOUR

Edit:- Sorry Scotland, not "this time around"...

I still rate Mitch's Burning Bridges as one of the best albums of 2012, and the times I've seen him play so far this year, the lad's on fire.

Mike

Interesting but not fully complete

Reported

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

8 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-11-05 10:14:58)

Caught up with Mitch & the band at The Grand, Bishop Auckland on Friday night. Have to say, it was probably the first and best fireworks of the week-end.

Can always count on Mitch to give a good showing, especially with Burning Bridges now to plunder, and the way he alternates from that powerful "funk" groove he has, to staright blues is just staggering. Since the last full show I saw, Mitch is now including a John Mayall cover as well as a new track, penned in a  very tongue-in-cheek Sam Cooke style; and boy, does it work.

Mitch also took time to roadtest a new guitar from Raw,( www.rawguitars.net ) a bespoke, very retro-style model called "The Hellhound", based loosely on a Gibson ES-150 that would probably have been contemporary with Robert Johnson, back then. Needless to say, Mitch, with his mate Michael on Telecaster, took it for a good delta style run.

As well as Mitch's blazing takes on Marvin Gaye's Inner City Blues and Temptation's Shaky Ground and Hendrix' Foxy Lady, the encore was a blistering Buddy Miles cover.

Cracking good night.

Mike

Mike, good to hear Mitch is on form and you had a good time as some of the London crew are seeing him on Wednesday when he supports Royal Southern Brotherhood at Jazz Cafe. Should be a great evening with this superb line up. I'm really looking forward to it. smile

Besides this gig, Mitch is also playing The Brook in Southampton on the 8th November, with the aforementioned RSB, plus The Black Horse, Consett on the 30th.

Sadly, the dates in Scotland you mention above don't feature on Mitch's tour page  sad

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

10 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-11-05 10:12:19)

Cheers Phil, though I have to be honest, I have heard Mitch play better. Hope he doesn't mind me saying, but think he was fighting a head-cold and maybe not quite firing on all cylinders, but he still gave 2hrs over 2 sets. Hope he manages to shake the bug off before the RSB dates. Also, always worth mentioning Matt and Rhian on drums and bass, good as Mitch is, these lads have to keep up with him and do a b****y good job.

Mike

PS - Scotland dates? They were back in October...... Just wish there was more info on the Holland dates apart from Stavoren.

PPS - Think the Shildon (my backyard) date (18th Nov) has been postponed from what Mitch was telling me on Friday: need to confirm that with promoter. Haven't been to Consett since I did my ONC there.

Cheers Mike. I'll make sure not to hug Mitch too closely. smile Did he have any copies of Burning Bridges for sale? I've not got round to buying it yet.

You may like to correct your tour schedule in the post above as you've got Kinross and Edinburgh down for 27 & 28 November. We don't want Duncan, Murray and Kenny excited unnecessarily. big_smile

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Wooders wrote:

Cheers Mike. I'll make sure not to hug Mitch too closely. smile Did he have any copies of Burning Bridges for sale? I've not got round to buying it yet.

Didn't see any - they just sort of arrived, plugged in and played. Sure he'll have some with him though, if you ask nicely through the face mask... Really good album though, ranks with Joanne's and Oli's.

You may like to correct your tour schedule in the post above as you've got Kinross and Edinburgh down for 27 & 28 November. We don't want Duncan, Murray and Kenny excited unnecessarily. big_smile

DOH!!!!

Phil

Wooders wrote:

Phil

Mitch did play Kinross & Edinburgh on the 27th & 28th October. I didn't make it down for either gig but did see Mitch supporting Walter Trout in Dunfermline smile

Here's a clip from Mitch's gig at Bishop Auckland Grand, Friday 2/11/12

He's roadtesting the Raw Guitar I mentioned - Micky Crystal is the lad on the telecaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kcVPrV … r_embedded

Mike

Can somebody fill in the name of the venues for the promotional tour in Holland.On his official site there's only one name. On 24 November at Stavoren.Thanks in advance
Walter from Belgium

BansheeUK wrote:

Following his "local boy" appearence at the Durham Blues Festival this coming Saturday, looks like Mitch has set his table for the rest of the year.

JUNE 2012
23 DURHAM BLUES FESTIVAL, DURHAM 
23 THE MEETING ROOMS, ELLAND, HALIFAX UK 
24 CLEETHORPES BLUES FESTIVAL, CLEETHORPES UK
JULY 2012
20 THE OX INN, STANLEY UK
22 CLOWNE ROCK & BLUES, CLOWNE UK
27 THE HORSE AND GROOM, CASTLESIDE UK
AUGUST 2012
9 THE BEAVERWOOD CLUB, CHISLEHURST UK support from LAURENCE JONES
10 THE BOOM BOOM CLUB, SUTTON UK support from LAURENCE JONES
24 RHYTHM FESTIVAL, BEDFORDSHIRE UK
SEPTEMBER 2012
7 THE FLOWERPOT, DERBY UK - support from LAURENCE JONES
17 JERICHO TAVERN, OXFORD UK
22 THE MEETING ROOMS, ELLAND, HALIFAX UK
26 THE ROBIN 2, WOLVERHAMPTON UK support from LAURENCE JONES
30 MIDDLESBOROUGH EMPIRE, MIDDLESBOROUGH UK    With AYNSLEY LISTER, local boy TOM ATKINSON opening.
OCTOBER 2012
3 THE FERRY, GLASGOW UK with WALTER TROUT
4 CARNEGIE THEATRE, DUNFERMLINE UK with WALTER TROUT
5 PICTUREDROME, HOLMFIRTH UK with WALTER TROUT
6 BEAUFORT THEATRE, EBBW VALE UK with WALTER TROUT
8 FIBBERS, YORK UK with WALTER TROUT
11 STAG THEATRE, SEVENOAKS UK with WALTER TROUT
12 TIVOLI THEATRE, WIMBORNE UK with WALTER TROUT
14 THE ASSEMBLY, LEAMINGTON SPA UK with WALTER TROUT
15 THE CITADEL, ST HELENS UK with WALTER TROUT 16 JAZZ CAFE, LONDON UK with WALTER TROUT
20 AFTER HOURS, BEAUVAIS FR
23 KAUE, GELSENKIRCHEN DE with WALTER TROUT
24 DOWNTOWN LIVE CLUB, HAMBURG DE with WALTER TROUT
NOVEMBER 2012
5 THE GRAND, BISHOP AUCKLAND UK Local venue for me
17 THE THREE TUNS, GATESHEAD UK
18 SHILDON CIVIC HALL, SHILDON UK My back yard!!!
21 NETHERLANDS PROMOTIONAL TOUR
22 NETHERLANDS PROMOTIONAL TOUR
23 NETHERLANDS PROMOTIONAL TOUR
24 CAFE MAX, STAVOREN NL
25 NETHERLANDS PROMOTIONAL TOUR
26 NETHERLANDS PROMOTIONAL TOUR

Edit:- Sorry Scotland, not "this time around"...

I still rate Mitch's Burning Bridges as one of the best albums of 2012, and the times I've seen him play so far this year, the lad's on fire.

Mike

Seems to have been a while since caught Mitch last; he's done a few local gigs, but a couple of the more noticable were knocked back by the promoter being a bit over-ambitious.

Still, Mitch was first up at the Durham Blues/Rock Jam-boree over the Easter week-end, and while Mitch should need no introduction, recently his stock seems to be slipping back for some inexplicable reason. No need to worry about his opening placement on this bill, the event was more of a triple-header. Mitch kicked it off in grand style, with his epic Time Is Running Away. and for the next 55 minutes, he just blazed, peaking with his monster take on Marvin Gaye’s Inner City Blues. Mitch laid off a bit from the more rootsy blues he’s been playing (and carrying very well) of late, and turned up the “funk” a bit; brought to mind the quote about Ritchi Blackmore by Bumps Blackwell -” I had to stop, blink my eyes and go back and take a close look at the cat. He was playing some black blues that’d make some black stand up and take notice”. Mitch has, and is on the same song-sheet as Gary Clark Jr.

I know I've already just said this on another thread, but a good performance as this stands repeat comment.

Mitch has a Newcastle date coming up in September - the 13th (and it's a Friday!), It's listed as a recording session for a upcoming Live album.

Bit down about not being able to get to Mitch's recording session last week, but kind of made up for it catching Mitch, Matt & Rhian do a cracking opening set for RSB at Newcastle. Only 6 numbers, but 2 were brand new and Mitch had the "funk" level turned all the way up to "Oh Yeah". Great start to a fantastic night.