1 (edited by BansheeUK 2018-10-10 04:03:34)

Topic: Joanne Shaw Taylor

Had a heads up on dates for Joanne's upcoming Autumn UK tour; hopefully supporting her latest album. Tickets for the telecaster Tornado go on sale this Friday (25th May) for the following venues:-

Tue 9th Oct (+ Laurence Jones Band) The Robin 2 Wolverhampton
Thu 11th Oct  The Tunnels Bristol 
Fri 12th Oct    The Wharf Community Art Centre Tavistock 
Sat 13th Oct   Princess Pavilion Falmouth 
Sun 14th Oct  Mr Kyps, Poole 
Tue 16th Oct  Leicester Square Theatre London 
Fri 19th Oct    The Haunt Brighton 
Sat 20th Oct   Norwich Arts Centre Norwich 
Sun 21st Oct  Waterside Arts Centre Manchester 
Tue 23rd Oct  The Duchess, York 
Wed 24th Oct The Cluny & The Cluny 2 Newcastle upon Tyne 
Fri 26th Oct    O2 ABC Glasgow (ABC1 & ABC2) Glasgow 
Sat 27th Oct   ARC (Stockton Arts Centre) Stockton-on-Tees 
Sun 28th Oct  The Rescue Rooms Nottingham 

She's also got some summer dates round Europe between now and then as well as a couple of US shows:-

May 25th 2012, Mönsteras Blues Festival, SWE
May 26th 2012, Dalene Blues Festival, Egernsund, NOR

June 27th 2012, Peace and Love Festival, Borlange SWE
June 28th 2012, Kiruna Festival, SWE
June 29th 2012, Haparande, SWE
June 30th 2012, Sandviken Festival, SWE

July 26th 2012, KEITELEJAZZ, ÄÄNEKOSKI, FIN
July 28th 2012, Rock & Blues Festival, Norrtalge, SWE

Aug 18th 2012, The First Annual Blues Festival Day, Newport, RI
Aug 24th 2012, 2nd Story Blues Club, Fountain Hill, PA
Aug 25th 2012, Hudson River Park's Blues BBQ Festival, New York City, NY

Think Gabba & Jack from The Accelerators will be backing Joanne for some/all of the summer European gigs: should be good...

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

2 (edited by Kenny 2012-05-21 06:14:16)

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

Thanks Mike, another Glasgow trip methinks.

Planet Rock presale on Wednesday.

Another Glasgow trip for me too. Pity she's not coming back to Aberdeen.

Holland or Germany???

andre wittebroek wrote:

Holland or Germany???

Haven't seen or heard of any dates yet, but there is a schedule gap between August and October. If I get to know anything, I'll pass the information on as soon as possible.

Mike

Wed 24th Oct The Cluny & The Cluny 2 Newcastle upon Tyne

How does that work then?

Thanks Mike.

Just two festivals this week in Norway/Sweden. Would do them all as Joanne is just the best to hand out with, but there would be too many clashes.

BansheeUK wrote:

Think Gabba & Jack from The Accelerators will be backing Joanne for some/all of the summer European gigs: should be good...

Mike

Murray1903 wrote:

Another Glasgow trip for me too. Pity she's not coming back to Aberdeen.

Yeah thats a shame, went along last year and really enjoyed it.

Some more info about the new album here also:

http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Releases … t-tour.htm

BansheeUK wrote:

Tue 16th Oct  Leicester Square Theatre London 

Have been to this theatre - more suited to a Comedy Club - rather than a Rock venue, imo! still, would like to see her perform.

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

Jo will be performing with Annie Lennox for the Queen in October.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Surreal day for me today. Had the mundane task of digging out some fence posts. At the same time Joanne was in our rehearsal room with Jack and Gabriel. Although sound proofed, it does filter through. Joanne must have sold her soul at the crossroads, stepping it up big time. Always rated jo as a 'scarey' player, totally feerless but what I heard today pushed anything else before to oneside.  Truly a WOW day. This tour is going to be different, dont miss out. On top of that, she is just lovely:)

Caught Joanne at Stockton ARC last Saturday evening, along with some good company:- Gary Grainger, Jamie & Andrew from The Mentulls, Tommy from Cameron’s Club and Kath from Guisborough RnB Club where Joanne got her first gig in the North east, a “few” years ago.

I was told to expect Joanne was in blistering form, as if the new album wasn’t hint enough, but Wow! has she upped her game. Suppose biggest change, apart from not having P+A+U+L or Accelerators as backing band, was the sight of Joanne now wielding Les Pauls instead of Telecasters. While she can certainly wring notes from a Telecaster, the Les Pauls do add a “richness” to her sound, especially noticable on the older songs of the night like Watch ‘Em Burn or Diamonds In The Dirt which followed her opening salvo of 3 newbies from Almost Always Never including the title track.

Jo, really tore up her version on Manic Depression before another 3 old and 3 new. Glad to see that this is still in the set, and going by the form she’s on, would hope that a “Live” album could be cut before she “retires” this number for her own, quality self-penned stuff. Jealousy is one such song that'll be a showcase for her in the future.

Going Home” never fails as a set closer, and for this Joanne did reach for a “twangy” Fender Strat and again showed it no mercy. Over 100 minutes of playing of this standard, Joanne rightly deserves nomination next year as British Blues Guitarist; maybe B.B. King doesn’t get “girlie” moments like guitar leads getting caught in heels, but then you ain’t a guitarist if you ain’t “got your wings” by tripping over your leads, whatever the excuse.

Full on 5Star show in a packed (400 seater) Stockton ARC. Brilliant sound, just lacking the atmosphere of somewhere like The Cluny.

Mike

Joanne is right up there with the best and she was on blistering form in Glasgow too. I was dead centre stage and had a great view of her Les Paul skills. Don't want to be pedantic Mike but "Jealousy" is not self penned - it was written by the great Scotsman Frankie Miller for his 1982 album Standing on the Edge. I have seen Frankie do this live with Brian Robertson on guitar and Joanne nailed it both vocally and instrumentally. The applause in Glasgow was very loud, to say the least.

Let's hope the tour with Jimmy Bowskill comes to the UK next year.

2 November 2012
Still don't know whether I'll go to see Joanne at Schwarzer Adler to let her sign the new album which is great except song No 1 which isn't my cup of tea or whether I'll make a trip to Dortmund to see Chris Kramer Band: Benni Bilgeri (guitar), Martin Engelien (bass), Charly T. (drums).

I don't know the Chris Kramer Band, but I can tell you this - Joanne's playing is on fire at the moment. She's got a really good band behind her including the new addition of keyboards (hammond organ style), giving a full, rich sound. I'm wishing now that I'd gone to see her at The Cluny earlier last week, as well as the ARC gig.

I am trying to lay down £100 on next years winner but the betting shops will not take the bet..............

BansheeUK wrote:

Going Home” Joanne rightly deserves nomination next year as British Blues

Mike

Kenny wrote:

Don't want to be pedantic Mike but "Jealousy" is not self penned - it was written by the great Scotsman Frankie Miller for his 1982 album Standing on the Edge. I have seen Frankie do this live with Brian Robertson on guitar and Joanne nailed it both vocally and instrumentally.

Kenny; all I can say, like Manic Depression, Joanne now "owns" Jealousy.

Martin; if you can find some action on that wager, I'll have a slice too.

Think the Blues Caravan tour hits the UK round April next year. Did see Hessle (nr Hull) pencilled in for 19th Apr, but don't quote me.

Mike