73 (edited by Wooders 2012-09-14 07:18:26)

Re: Friday Night Is Music Night on BBC4 TV

I gave the first hour or so of the easy listening a go and it wasn't bad, bringing back a few memories.

Not sure I'll be catching the Fairports tonight. Apart from Meet On The Ledge, I can't really say I know any of their stuff. I think they passed me by during my "heavy music" phase.

Last night I caught Sir Tom on the red button from the R2 Hyde Park do last Sunday and he gives a good show. It's refreshing to hear someone with a strong voice, even tho' it's nowhere near it's old timbre. Jessie J is pretty good on the pipes too.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Wooders wrote:

I gave the first hour or so of the easy listening a go and it wasn't bad, bringing back a few memories.

Not sure I'll be catching the Fairports tonight. Apart from Meet On The Ledge, I can't really say I know any of their stuff. I think they passed me by during my "heavy music" phase.

Last night I caught Sir Tom on the red button from the R2 Hyde Park do last Sunday and he gives a good show. It's refreshing to hear someone with a strong voice, even tho' it's nowhere near it's old timbre. Jessie J is pretty good on the pipes too.

Phil

Hands up, I have to admit, I also watch the "Joys of Easy Listening" documentary the other week; Jimmy Webb was an interesting interview. Mind; is it me or is Richard Carpenter getting very much like actor Christopher Lloyd?

Same way, Fairports passed me by for the most part, they only really caught passing attention when Dave Pegg used to be in and out of Jethro Tull as well as Sandy Denny's contribution to a certain band oft name-dropped on the forum. Old Barclay James Harvest is a (not so) secret vice of mine, so may well tune in for an hour or so.

As for Tom Jones - he was my mum's #1 so growing up, got a bit tired of Green Green Grass. Didn't see the Hyde Park you mention, but was impressed with what he did at the Jubilee.

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

BansheeUK wrote:

As for Tom Jones - he was my mum's #1 so growing up, got a bit tired of Green Green Grass. Mike

I thought that I was the only one who had to suffer that family torture!!! smile - Although when "It's Not Unusual" came on I did n't mind!

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Ian916 wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

As for Tom Jones - he was my mum's #1 so growing up, got a bit tired of Green Green Grass. Mike

I thought that I was the only one who had to suffer that family torture!!! smile - Although when "It's Not Unusual" came on I did n't mind!

Perhaps we should start a side thread on this. It's well known how Joe and loads of others we report on here were inspired by parental music sources - what about the not-so-inspiring, or the stuff that you just can't shake off...

Mike

After a half hour of Reggae, Friday 28th September, BBC4 are screening both parts of Martin Scorsese's George Harrison - Living In The Material World. from 9:00pm onwards.

From Midnight or so onwards, there's compilation of Beatles songs covered by various artists, and usual clip shows until the wee small hours.

Mike

Thanks for the reminder, Mike. I'll look forward to a bit of George at the end of a stressful week.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Wooders wrote:

Thanks for the reminder, Mike. I'll look forward to a bit of George at the end of a stressful week.

Phil

Probably will miss most of it - out with the gang to see Chantel McGregor at Durham's Gala Theatre. Alternately I could have gone up to Newcastle to catch Tracer & VATA at The Cluny, but after dancing round each other over the last couple of years, finally get to be in the same place at the same time with Chantel.

Mike

Okay - here's a confession for you all: back in the late 70s, I was a member of the E.L.O. Official Fan Club. If there are any other brothers and sisters out there, then Friday 5th October is our night to come out and stand proud.

9pm - Mr Blue Sky: (new) Story of Jeff Lynne & E.L.O.
10pm - E.L.O. Live at Wembly - 1978 charity concert
11pm - Rock Family Trees; Birmingham Beat - Featuring Moody Blues, The Move etc
11:50 - 12:20 - Jeff Lynne Acoustic, Live from Bungalow Palace.

Might have to start playing A New World Record for a bit....

Mike

81 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-10-26 02:38:41)

Cor, Blimey, Guv'nor!!! Do my mince-pies decieve me? Better tell the ol' trouble an' strife to get down the apples after Eastenders, them diamond geezers down at the telly are giving it some rabbit this evening about Mr Charles Nicholas Hodges and his associate Mr David Victor Peacock Esq.

Yeah - a Chas & Dave profile on BBC4 tonight; think it'll surprise some people, how rich their pre-"rockney" background is.

Following that, couple of compilation shows on the music of London. Bet there isn't one song ends, "'Ave a banana.."

Mike

PS - think it's Paul Weller next week (Nov 2nd); barrel of laughs.....

Hey Mike - I can't stand watching Chas & Dave since seeing them as one of the support acts of Led Zeppelin at Knebworth in 1979. Excrutiating and a total mis match on the day (as were most bands).

83 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-10-26 05:21:17)

Kenny wrote:

Hey Mike - I can't stand watching Chas & Dave since seeing them as one of the support acts of Led Zeppelin at Knebworth in 1979. Excrutiating and a total mis match on the day (as were most bands).

Led Who? Never 'eard of 'em, mate.  Nah, what you want is a bit of ya Chas & Dave maybe wiff one of their mates like Albert Lee:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGU63KqXuZk

wink

Now that takes me back!! I remember that from Heads Hands & Feet (which Chas Hodges was in). Must look out their single "Warming up the band".

My memory is improving. Wonderful!! smile

85 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-10-26 06:53:27)

Kenny wrote:

Now that takes me back!! I remember that from Heads Hands & Feet (which Chas Hodges was in). Must look out their single "Warming up the band".

My memory is improving. Wonderful!! smile

For those who don't know:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aIft448lBA

(Chas Hodges on Bass btw)

86 (edited by Kenny 2012-10-26 06:54:34)

Cheers for thet Mike. Brilliant, never thought of looking on Youtube.

Its now officially winter. Snowing in Aberdeen in October!!!!!!!!!

Good job I'm out watching a real band then. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

88 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-11-09 03:14:13)

PSmith1946 wrote:

Good job I'm out watching a real band then. big_smile

"Gertcha!!"

Hey, I'd have prefered to have been out watching a "live" band, but it was a very interesting show. Chas Hodges certainly has the more interesting back-catalogue recording-wise; starting out with Ritchie Blackmore in The Outlaws for Joe Meek beforfe going on to Cliff Bennett & The Rebel Rousers and then Head, Hands & Feet.

Anyway, for those, like me who will probably be dog-sitting while fireworks are going off on Friday 2nd Nov, it's a feast of Paul Weller.

9:15pm - Weller @ The BBC - Looking back over 35 years of performance in the studios.

10:15pm - BBC Four Sessions - Paul Weller in session featuring 2008's 22 Dream album & past hits.

11:15 - BeeGees: In Our Own Time - Re-run of Robin Gibb tribute.

For Friday 9th Nov:-

9:00pm - Queens of British Pop (hope there's more Dusty than Cheryl.....)

10:05pm - Songs of Sandy Denny @ The Barbican (new) featuring live performances from Maddy Prior and PP Arnold.

11:35pm - Fairport Convention: Who Knows Where The Time......

Ahhhh Dusty. The best soul singer of the time. cool

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

90 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-11-09 08:41:07)

Just a reminder for tonight (9th) at 9pm, its the first of 2 programmes about Queens of Pop - Sandi Shaw, Suzi Quatro and Siouxsie Sioux (nifty bit of alliteration for this time in the morning....) followed by recording of a tribute show to Sandy Denny at 10pm with re-run of Fairport Convention doc to take us past the midnight hour...

For 16th Nov - here's a question....what's the significance of Al Martino's Blue Spanish Eyes?

It was the first ever listed UK #1 single back in November 1952. And that's the theme for the first of the night's programmes

9:25pm -  Pop Charts Britannia: 60 Years of the Top 10: Documentary chronicling our ever-changing love affair with the British singles chart.

10:55pm - Sound It Out: Documentary following life in one of the last independent record shops still trading. Believe it's on Teesside....

11:55pm - The Genius of David Bowie: A selection of some of David Bowie's best performances from the BBC archives. (R)

Mike