55 (edited by MikeG033 2012-10-25 21:13:44)

Re: Afterglow

Received "Afterglow" today! Rest assured, BCC has delivered a phenomenal 3rd installment. Highlights for me include: "The Circle", "Big Train", "Cry Freedom", "Common Man", "Midnight Sun" and "The Giver". I just wish the album booklet included songs lyrics.

big_smile

afterglow=vintage awesomeness.......LOVE this disc.

man i'm telling you and i mean this as a HUGE compliment but if this band had existed in 1975 (back when awesome bands could still sell records) this CD would be a multi-million seller!!!!

well done joe and BCC!

Alas, West Coast will have to wait a bit.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

I got my Afterglow copy in the mail this afternoon.  I have made it through one listen so far and I am very, very impressed!  This is the type of music I want to listen to.  This is a brand new "classic" album.

Love the Reviews so far.

If any of you get the UK amazon package, can you let me know what is on the DVD?
Is it the webisodes or something different.

Really appreciate it as I was looking into maybe waiting and getting that package.

Thanks so much smile

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

Got mine too!

Definitely vintage, classic stuff here!!

I also think that this music would have been HUGE in the 70's. But that of course isn't realistic. That said, many have tried to recapture that vibe in some way with mixed results often sounding like a band trying to sound like they are in the 70's. This band eclipses that. They ARE that sound. The genuine article. Not a decent replica, but the real deal.

I do believe that they could be massive in this day and age with the proper promotion, touring etc. Just playing their stuff on the radio would IMO blow it wide open. If I were in the bizz I'd be looking to push this band. I really think its as sure a thing as there is out there today.

You got some magic going on here. Seize the moment.

Jane H. wrote:

Mailman just brought Afterglow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wooohooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn...now where is my copy...I hope it shows up before Monday, after we lose power due to the Baltimore 'Gasp and Eclectic' event........ lol lol

100% Certified 'Bona-Nut'

Jane H. wrote:

request, request, request!

Yeah...98 Rock and their 'excuses'.......I guess fancy-pants over there is happy with eye candy more than sheer talent....now, now...I mustn't let emotion take over.........but we tried......

Jane H. wrote:

but i won;t give up i just got to get my motivation going again but they are good at wearing you down

lol lol Jane - I think your new Avatar would suit their corporate logo just fine!!! lol lol

What it really boils down to is they play what the sponsors want to hear or what the sponsors think the general public wants to hear. Around here you have better luck talking to one of the stations major sponsors and getting them to talk to the station manager. The problem with that is you have to have a sponsor who actually knows something about music and who enjoys something more than just the same classics over and over at nausium. Don't get me wrong, I love the classics I just don't like to be beat over the head with them. I love the Sirius/XM alternative but hate that they make you buy separate subscriptions for home, cars and work but that's another complaint dept I guess.

Oh well, I have all three BCC's on shuffle today....who needs the radio?

You don't find a style, ... a style finds you

Keith Richards

still loving this disc after multiple listens.......i'm thinking mr. bonham (listed as the writer of the music) may need to send a check to geddy and alex in rush for the opening riff in "common man"......sounds dangerously close to "tom sawyer" for a bit....i love the song but it for sure puts me in the tom sawyer frame of mind when it comes on.

Speaking of Common Man, I love the ending jam.  You can feel the fun they were having.

"what's the point of race cars, rocket ships and rock and roll?"

I guess we will always have great memories of the shows they did perform.  Im glad I traveled from Ohio to catch this one in New Jersey.  What a great show it was!!!  http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Live+Sa … 11/8312523

Doug

Chuck Johnson wrote:

Speaking of Common Man, I love the ending jam.  You can feel the fun they were having.

agreed

Weakest album for me personally. Sounds too Glenn...some songs just don't catch my ear.
Still a solid album...just has no buuurrrn!
Three great songs for me.
Big Train - wow, that verse sounds like the side of a mountain falling away...so, so heavy. This is how Glenn's bass should have always sounded - great Orange!
The Confessor - Again, thunking bass. Rocks along. Keyboards...finally! Kevin must be anti-keyboards...or very guitar and vocally orientated...
Afterglow - Easily the best song on the album - probably one of the nicest intros they've ever done. Killer riff. Holds a lot of power.
Joe might have said it himself, but I sadly agree...his playing here just sounds a bit (understated) for want of a harsher word. No solos that made me take notice...still, some nice tones.
Drums don't sound as powerful as I thought they would be...it's just bass and rhythm guitar mix...
Super cliche lyrics...got very bored after one run through...sorry, trying to be honest as a giant fan of BCC.

Maybe I've just been too blown away by this Zeppelin release...

Got it! big_smile
Time for some spins.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

DaveWammbarro wrote:

Weakest album for me personally. Sounds too Glenn...some songs just don't catch my ear.
Still a solid album...just has no buuurrrn!
Three great songs for me.
Big Train - wow, that verse sounds like the side of a mountain falling away...so, so heavy. This is how Glenn's bass should have always sounded - great Orange!
The Confessor - Again, thunking bass. Rocks along. Keyboards...finally! Kevin must be anti-keyboards...or very guitar and vocally orientated...
Afterglow - Easily the best song on the album - probably one of the nicest intros they've ever done. Killer riff. Holds a lot of power.
Joe might have said it himself, but I sadly agree...his playing here just sounds a bit (understated) for want of a harsher word. No solos that made me take notice...still, some nice tones.
Drums don't sound as powerful as I thought they would be...it's just bass and rhythm guitar mix...
Super cliche lyrics...got very bored after one run through...sorry, trying to be honest as a giant fan of BCC.

Maybe I've just been too blown away by this Zeppelin release...

Dont have it yet myself.I was hoping ,based on other reviews that this will be the the best of the three.But that is a subjective thing based on how it compares in contrast to the other 2.I mean it could be epic for some,but not hit the bullseye for others.I will reserve judgement till I give it some ear time.But thanks Dave for your take.Maybe it will grow on you.I have had some albums I was disapointed in on first listen,maybe geared up for a particular sound.Then gone back and really liked them listening to it in a different mindset.
I have read that there was to be  more Derek in Afterglow.Is that not the case?

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Still waiting on the post grrr....

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)