1 (edited by nmagcorn 2015-03-23 09:01:42)

Topic: Hobbies... Other than obsessing over everything related to Joe :)

As I sit here again reading over forum posts I was wondering what everyone else does to make themselves happy other than obsessing over everything related to Joe smile. I try to keep myself busy with different projects around the house. Over the years I have painted and wallpapered, sewn curtains and slipcovers, installed toilets and sinks, tiled bathrooms and kitchens, and built numerous projects inside and outside the house. I guess I am an engineer at heart (it's in the genes) I love designing and building things especially out of wood. I have a woodshop in the basement and I am probably one of the only women that is excited about getting a power tool for my birthday smile! I recently built a stand for the ipad out of some scrap black walnut.  I was getting tired of propping it on a book. Now, when I sit at the kitchen table, I can watch youtube videos of Joe at the right angle without having to hold it up!!(it's the little things in life...) So, I was just wondering what others do to keep themselves busy and happy other than work or Joe?

Re: Hobbies... Other than obsessing over everything related to Joe :)

Went into Politics....I read everything, and argue about everything to everyone....I watched all of both conventions.....I never thought I would consider myself a Libertarian, but that's what people accuse me of....

NO!!!!!.....this doesnt need a political response....we dont do that here....so let it be please

Shreddy, the expert on all things prevelent roll

Jane H. wrote:

sounds cool. I'd love to see some pictures. I am trying to get into the hobby of guitar playing but I am not putting in enough practice.
I like wood crafts too but not into it very much. I wanted to stick with wood shop in school but my parents made me take French (or another foreing language). I was so mad I purposefully did not try to learn (I already knew the kissing part and they didn't teach that anyway)
For years i gave them grief by pointing out all the things I could have made if I had more wood craft skills.
I feel bad about that now.
i love my dremel tool and have fixed alot of things with it but not created too much.

i have done a bit of gardening and hope to do a better job next year.

I've done a little poetry this year. not too much to share, i use it to get things off my mind sometimes.
i want to write lyrics too and my dream is to write music one day. I'd be satisfied when i can just play it better.

I've sewn a few things for the house like you describe too. Its a great feeling to make stuff to completion.

Hey Jane, here are a few pictures: bookcases, shed, chair, chicken coop and ipad stand

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anitrasdance/

nmagcorn wrote:

Over the years I have painted and wallpapered, sewn curtains and slipcovers, installed toilets and sinks, tiled bathrooms and kitchens, and built numerous projects inside and outside the house. I guess I am an engineer at heart (it's in the genes) I love designing and building things especially out of wood. I have a woodshop in the basement and I am probably one of the only women that is excited about getting a power tool for my birthday smile! I recently built a stand for the ipad out of some scrap black walnut.  I was getting tired of propping it on a book.

The woman of my dreams!

I'm always daunted of starting a job that my lack of ability won't allow me to finish. So I admire anyone that takes on water, heating, electrics and the like.

10 years ago I started a more outdoor life building and working in climbing parks. Now I always find myself looking at impressive trees when I'm out wherever and thinking about climbing them!

A giant redwood is on my bucket list. Maybe one day. Other than that it would be music. I've sung for years but am unable to accept that singing makes me a musician (it's not worthy!). Ridiculous really as the voice is an instrument. Anyway I picked up a bass a couple of years ago and bumble around on, play cajon and various other percussion and am now trying harp again. It really is never too late. Oh and I have promised myself that I will take a dancing course this year. I WILL TANGO!

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

5 (edited by nmagcorn 2012-09-07 17:04:12)

hansamike wrote:
nmagcorn wrote:

Over the years I have painted and wallpapered, sewn curtains and slipcovers, installed toilets and sinks, tiled bathrooms and kitchens, and built numerous projects inside and outside the house. I guess I am an engineer at heart (it's in the genes) I love designing and building things especially out of wood. I have a woodshop in the basement and I am probably one of the only women that is excited about getting a power tool for my birthday smile! I recently built a stand for the ipad out of some scrap black walnut.  I was getting tired of propping it on a book.

I'm always daunted of starting a job that my lack of ability won't allow me to finish. So I admire anyone that takes on water, heating, electrics and the like.

10 years ago I started a more outdoor life building and working in climbing parks. Now I always find myself looking at impressive trees when I'm out wherever and thinking about climbing them!

You shouldn't be so worried about projects being daunting. I always approach things this way: I'm just as smart as the people who do it for a living. It may take me longer to finish because I am learning while doing, but the sense of accomplishment when it is all done is worth it.

And what is a "climbing park"? I used to love climbing trees as a kid. I was always the smallest so I could get the highest. I used to love being at the top and just swinging with the breezes.

nmagcorn wrote:

As I sit here again reading over forum posts I was wondering what everyone else does to make themselves happy other than obsessing over everything related to Joe smile. I try to keep myself busy with different projects around the house. Over the years I have painted and wallpapered, sewn curtains and slipcovers, installed toilets and sinks, tiled bathrooms and kitchens, and built numerous projects inside and outside the house. I guess I am an engineer at heart (it's in the genes) I love designing and building things especially out of wood. I have a woodshop in the basement and I am probably one of the only women that is excited about getting a power tool for my birthday smile! I recently built a stand for the ipad out of some scrap black walnut.  I was getting tired of propping it on a book. Now, when I sit at the kitchen table, I can watch youtube videos of Joe at the right angle without having to hold it up!!(it's the little things in life...) So, I was just wondering what others do to keep themselves busy and happy other than work or Joe?

..."work or Joe?'   ...............

Guilty on both charges.......That's all I do............... lol

p.l.j.  smile

P.S.  Ha! True Confessions!  wink

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

I love most forms of 'art', works of art. I found i was able to draw from an early age.  I love artists like, Damien Hurst, but i can appreciate the classics as well.

Photography would be another, and that would  come under the heading of 'art', as well. I took an interest in that later on in life.

Music - of course, drumming, and my eclectic record collection, i would also put that under the heading of 'art'. 

This next one isn't really a hobby, more of a passion - My football team - Manchester United.

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

As many already know (and some have argued about/because), I fly fish.

Why don't we eliminate all the warning labels and let things sort themselves out?

9 (edited by hansamike 2012-09-08 02:07:42)

"And what is a "climbing park"? I used to love climbing trees as a kid. I was always the smallest so I could get the highest. I used to love being at the top and just swinging with the breezes."

In England they are called High Ropes Courses, in Germany 'Kletterparks'. Tree based platforms interconnected with bridges, obstacles, nets and ladders all with a self belay security system to get around. Normally a rope ladder or net to get up and zip lines to get down.

My one in Germany has 5 stations dotted around the forest. Longest zip is about 115m, highest point 11m. The trek around is about 1km. Takes about 2 hours to complete for the average person. There is a lot of them around now. When I built it in 2004 there were only about 2 or 3 like it in the whole of Germany. Now there's over 300!

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

hansamike wrote:

"And what is a "climbing park"? I used to love climbing trees as a kid. I was always the smallest so I could get the highest. I used to love being at the top and just swinging with the breezes."

In England they are called High Ropes Courses, in Germany 'Kletterparks'. Tree based platforms interconnected with bridges, obstacles, nets and ladders all with a self belay security system to get around. Normally a rope ladder or net to get up and zip lines to get down.

My one in Germany has 5 stations dotted around the forest. Longest zip is about 115m, highest point 11m. The trek around is about 1km. Takes about 2 hours to complete for the average person. There is a lot of them around now. When I built it in 2004 there were only about 2 or 3 like it in the whole of Germany. Now there's over 300!

Wow! That is so cool! Do they cost a lot to use? There is a small, somewhat lame zip line course in Western Maryland that costs quite a bit and doesn't have near the features that you describe ( the platforms are on poles, not trees, and you pass by a few trees every now and then) I guess if we ever go to Germany we will have to check one out.

nmagcorn, your post cracked me up a bit.  I've got a couple of lifelong friends who tackle all sorts of home improvement projects, too.  She's the handywoman, though.  And that iPad stand is cool.  You could market those.

My hobby is collecting hobbies.  I dabble in a lot of things.  A buddy of mine once said I had "interests a mile wide".  To which I responded, "Yeah, too bad they are only a foot deep in a lot of places."  If I had to list principal pastimes, music (blues in particular, but not exclusively), trying to play decent blues harmonica, reading (avidly), mountain biking (though mostly trail riding in the flat midwest), and hiking.

I've always wished I had an artistic bent, but I can barely draw a straight line with a ruler.  And painting is out of the question, other than walls and such with a big wide brush, or a roller.  tongue

Play like you've worked at it, and don't worry about sounding like your influences.  You can't cheat on them, or your practice, anyway.  If you've worked hard at your skill, your audience will know it.

I love to camp, but after 5 recent canoe trips into the Minnesota/Canadian wilderness, I've been spoiled. So it's almost strictly wilderness camping for me.
I love to fish...which ties in nicely with my love for camping.

A number of other more minor hobbies that I never seem to have enough time for: photography, bicycling, golf.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

13 (edited by JBFan4Life 2012-09-08 11:23:34)

As far as I'm concerned, there is no other form of camping, except in the wilderness.  On the other hand, I've some friends who recently took it up again.  They actually bring an air conditioner for their tent.  Not the "roughing it" types.  I told them they are a few short strides away from buying a freakin' Winnebago.

Sadly, I dig canoeing, but can't find time to get away and do it much, these days.  When I was younger, used to hike and backpack all over the place, too.  It's hell growing older and having grown up responsibilities, sometimes.  sad

Play like you've worked at it, and don't worry about sounding like your influences.  You can't cheat on them, or your practice, anyway.  If you've worked hard at your skill, your audience will know it.

We used to go camping ( yet I must admit it wasn't quite wilderness camping) when my husband and I graduated college over 20 some years ago, we took three weeks in August and drove out west with a little Honda Accord hatchback, tent and camping supplies. He wanted to see the Grateful Dead shows in Colorado and Utah and I wanted to see the country. It was an experience, we stayed mostly in campgrounds and a week outside Red Rocks Amphitheatre at Chief Hosa Campground in Colorado with over three thousand deadheads and only two bathroom facilities! Something I'll definitely never forget! Needless to say when we took our kids out west 6 years ago, we bought a camper. I do admit I like a little luxury these days and my husband likes the fact he can use the bathroom while we are driving down the road  smile

A few of my favorite things besides music:

Reading
Gardening
Riding my turquoise beach bike
Watching Sports

Books - I read more in the summer on the beach under my umbrella with 100% UVA protection and lathered in sunblock. It is so relaxing to watch the waves and the seagulls and the people wink that congregate on the beach. 

One of my recent books - THE AMATEUR ~  Barack Obama in the White House - extremely interesting read
Funny what Shred said about politics (not to be discussed here of course), I've never been more interested, watched both conventions... Gotta' quote John Lennon - JUST GIVE ME THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!! That would MAKE MY DAY smile

Gardening - Love flowers, plants, trees etc. etc.  My first college degree was in Horticulture.  My first job with this degree was to work for an interior plantscaping company.  My dream job at that company was to be the designer who picked all the plants according to light meter readings and designed the space. When a newer employee came in and got that position, because she was sleeping with boss, I left and started my own business.  I made more money from 2 accounts working 7 hours a week than I did from working 40 hours a week with the old job. I paid my own way for night school with some college loans and got a business degree and shifted gears... That first job out of college was my most valuable life lesson!

Bicycling - Love my new beach bike that my hubby gave me for Christmas and he tuned into getting me the color I would have picked without me telling him. (its the little things wink My bike gave me so much freedom as a kid, I rode everywhere, I never lost that fun feeling even when I got a car and I love the wind in my face while working my thighs! lol

Sports - I love watching all kinds of sporting events, especially baseball, basketball & football and the NHL playoffs.  I have a flexible work schedule whereby I plan work around game times, so I can watch and work from my desk and computer.

P.S. Natasha!!  Wow, love all the stuff you've made and I like your shed, I want a fancy version of that.  I want a little house in the backyard with window boxes (like a doll house the size of a big shed) that would be utilized as a potting shed, etc..  I want to paint it the colors you see of the homes in Bermuda and decorate it for Christmas with lights. (keep the lights up all year and light it up for parties)  I want to be able to see it from my kitchen.  I wouldn't mind having a green house either... wink

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

It has been cool reading everyones posts and hearing about the cool things they are into. Thanks JBFan4Life and Angela for the compliments, it's really nice to hear. And Angela I can see the shed from my kitchen window. It sits behind the vegetable garden. It was also cool seeing you were from New Jersey. I grew up in an old house in NJ where my Dad had over a thousand books and a vegetable garden in the backyard. Since being a kid, I've always had a love of reading and gardening (in fact, just dug up a whole bag of potatoes yesterday).

As my screenname says...Poker is my secondary pursuit outside of music (I wont limit that to JB, since there arent enough shows to fill the concert year!).

After that probably cooking, and am researching a vertical hydroponic garden. There is a local  VH farm that is producing some great vegetables with over 7000 plants on a 1/4 acre.

I listen to Joe......Walsh........Endless commercials, endless commercials!!!!

Vote For Joe!!!

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint