Topic: Why isn't Joe on the radio

7th album about to be released...Could be joe's best music ever...Always on the road...Worldwide tours...Fans love him to death...Up and coming Rock and Roll Hall Of Famer...and No fricken radio...My wife and I just returned from vacation...675 miles there and 675 back...XM was on all the way (when we weren't listening to Joe CD's)...Surfed every channel...Bluesville, Mix, you name it, and no Joe Bonamassa...I just don't get it...Is anyone as frustrated as me over this?...or should I just get over it?...

The Other Joe B.

It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life for me...and, I'm feelin good

Re: Why isn't Joe on the radio

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

Joe does get some airplay on a few XM channels; not near enough. Other airplay is spotty at best. It's a frustrating situation. The largest owner of radio stations is also the largest concert promoter. It may not be a monopoly, but its damn close....maybe more like a mafia deal -- you have to pay them off to make it happen. And if you piss them off, you may be done all together.

The part that is really frustrating is that those same radio stations make the decision for you about what is going to be popular, then they ram it down your throat. That's why some of the bland, no talent bands are all over the radio.

Very frustrating.

PC

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

I think we all agree Joe deserves more radio air play. I have XM and do hear him I would say once a week. (You can actually can go on xm's website and see what stations he is played on, what song and when). Fortuantely living in CT we have many college radio stations that have their weekend blues shows. I used to be one of the few that requested Joe. The good news many other blues fans in our area are now requesting Joe also.

If you really need a Joe fix on "commercial" radio, try www.wccc.com on Sunday nights 6-midnight. Nuttin but the blues and always atleast one Joe song. Want to really freak the jock ( Beefstew) out - you can request a song ( via email) during the week which assures you he will play it. I challenge a JB fan from Omaha ( or somewhere far from CT) to email him a Joe song request. Tell him where you are from.

Just Sent This to Beefstew

Hi There Beefstew , Was Wondering if you could Play
BLUES DELUXE or RECONSIDER BABY for my friend RHONDA in SULLIVAN MISSIOURI , Thanks for letting me Stay and i'll see you Sooner rather than later. "Are you Doubting me"
& are those Chekin's still runnin' loose in your yard
KEEP SPREADING THE BLUES STEW

Michael

Hope that help's  tonight

Hey a listener From England , That'll Freak 'em

wink

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

You guys in the States don't know how lucky you are.
In the UK we get station after station playing the same dance orientated music or manufactured pop "stars" absolute predictable rubbish. Why we need channel after channel playing the same stuff just leaves me in despair. Same on TV sad

Hear Joe on the radio ? Apart from the 1 hour of Paul Jones every Monday, who may play Joe very occaisionally, about as much chance of Joe on the radio here as him  playing in my front room !!

Same in Germany.
You turn on the radio and turn it off the next second, because you can only hope that they´re joking ... wink
A blues show on the radio?! I can only dream of something like that ...

Well I listen to a internet radiostation.
And they play Joe Frequently (do you write it like this?)
The play him a lot.
Here's a link:

http://www.dr-blues.nl/

It's a duch station, click on the line that says so (click here for live radio)

The play also some old blues as well as Joe and some  other modern guys.

Here, go to the "INTRODUCTION" part of this forum and read the thread I wrote called  (Backstage (San Luis Obispo, CA) with Joe and an apology... by Fandango1)
this may explain some of it...after this experience, I get it completely.
Don't worry though, the street team will come through as well as Joe's awesome abilities...
Also, because Joe hasn't much air time on public radio, your ticket prices remain low when purchasing Joe Bonamassa show tickets and that says a lot about Joe...he's a cool dude.
F1

CURRENTLY: CAT5 JB PLEXI 50W, CAT5 1900 50W, Split 4x12 cab.
Fender Strat, Tele. Gibson LP including ole #174 JB Goldtop...

In heaven right now with the CAT5 rig!!!

Everything on radio now is so specialized like everything else.  Joe is too rockin' for country, too bluesy for rock, too new of an artist for any classic rock station.  I  hear him on a few Sunday morning blues shows, but that's about it.

I have waited for a long time to hear Joe on the radio. Finally, we have a station here that will play his music. But it's not a mian-stream station...........it's outlaw radio. Playing what Willie wants and that includes Joe. We got lucky. You have to keep trying, keep pushing your local stations. It worked in Houston, took a long time...........ask Glen and Phil. They kept at it until they finally broke them down. But, like I said, we got lucky that Willie Nelson bought a local station and is running it the way he wants.
Cion

NPR on friday nights in upper wisconsin WXPR plays blues.  I hear Joe every noe and then on there.
Yeah, XM plays joe on Deep Tracks and Bluesville once in a while.

I wouldn't hold my breath for commercial stations that play commercial music though ; )

He's playing almost 24/7 on my iPod - I got smart.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

although it would be nice to get JB on Conan Obrien or Jay Leno on the day of the release? Street Team?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

michael*lynch wrote:

Just Sent This to Beefstew

Hi There Beefstew , Was Wondering if you could Play
BLUES DELUXE or RECONSIDER BABY for my friend RHONDA in SULLIVAN MISSIOURI , Thanks for letting me Stay and i'll see you Sooner rather than later. "Are you Doubting me"
& are those Chekin's still runnin' loose in your yard
KEEP SPREADING THE BLUES STEW

Michael

Hope that help's  tonight

Hey a listener From England , That'll Freak 'em

wink

Well, what happened?! Which one did he play?!

Marianne wrote:

Well I listen to a internet radiostation.
And they play Joe Frequently (do you write it like this?)
The play him a lot.
Here's a link:

http://www.dr-blues.nl/

It's a duch station, click on the line that says so (click here for live radio)

The play also some old blues as well as Joe and some  other modern guys.

Hey Marianne,

I´m listening to it right now ... cool link - thank you!

15 (edited by Ramonster 2007-08-02 02:53:00)

Joe does get played on the radio, I just noticed that last night. I tuned in to Arrow Rock Radio for their wednesday evening show called Bluesbox. Joe seems to have been on that show about two weeks ago (18th of july), according to their site they've had the world wide premiere for the Sloe Gin album right there and then http://www.arrow.nl/rock/index.php?opti … amp;id=854
Yesterday the presenter was counting down the days till the release of the new album and then he played Ball Peen Hammer.
I was really impressed by that track, good singing and very well produced. It's a mid-tempo song filled with acoustic guitars and a cool electric slide solo at the end, good to hear Joe whipping out the Chandler Lectraslide again (sounded like that guitar to me anyway...). Too bad I can't find a way to listen to that show again, I dont see anything on their site for that, just the playlists of the shows sad.

We have just one world, but we live in different ones.

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

although it would be nice to get JB on Conan Obrien or Jay Leno on the day of the release? Street Team?

That would be a good thing.  It would really give that kick to the release of the new album.  Not sure how to make it happen though, I imagine the shows are rather booked for a while.

Basically, the way I see it, Joe's going to sell a million copies before he'll even get a shot on the radio. The way he's doing it now, it grows slowly but it grows stronger, because the people you turn him onto are going to be more like to become a big fan than someone who just hears a song on the radio. What will happen is he will just come out of nowhere to these people, and we'll be sitting there going, "Hey, I told you about this guy years ago." I've given up on radio, except for one of my acquaintances at the radio station here in Harrison. 25 years old and does the morning show. When Sloe Gin comes out I'm going to give him a copy and ask him to play it on the radio. Since they're not Clear Channel, they can go off the beaten path if they wish.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Artists in the Blues catagory dont draw much interest from major radio stations .Its usually the best from 70's 80's 90's . classic rock, oldies, hip hop ,alternative. soft/lite rock.the marketing genious have  us all slotted very well don't they.Anything blues sounds like small limited market ie no money.Joe is a perfect example of alot of contemporary artists whom dont fit exactly in the blues mold. blues some rock acoustic .Joe as many others that are our favorites I'm sure could find a lager audiance with exposure. Dont see it changing any time soon. So we keep the street team going and it will help. just going to take longer.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky