Re: Virgil and the Accelerators

Bit of fun from Burnley Blues Festival last w/e http://youtu.be/xwWDv1-eWv4

mbcl wrote:

That would work well Gibson to Gibson smile

BansheeUK wrote:

Wonder how a jam between Virgil and Ryan would sound? That would be something to think about...

You might want to keep an eye on what's happening at Sedgefield R'n'B club..... things are moving for 2013. wink

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

I'm agree with you mbcl.

Great show at Mainsforth last night. Nice sound (loud - like it should be too). Good to see some newer stuff being worked into the set and really appreciated the band taking time out to chat with us.

41 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-05-14 04:03:35)

Yeah; gret show on Saturday night. The last two times I've caught the guys, they were doing opening slots for Uriah Heep and Wilko Johnson - not to be sneezed at - but this was VATA "unleashed" in comparison. As soon as they ripped into Working Man, the template was set; Virgil and Jack playing like they were possessed and G-man was powering that red Natal kit like a demonic locomotive. Bad Girl made a welcome return, segueing into the mighty Backstabber. As ever, Virgil tore through his SRV tribue before his first showpiece Don't Shake My Hand, which I thought had a little extra bite.

A favourite of mine from the album, Racing With Life was back in the set, as well as what's becoming a under-played gem, Fell To The Floor. Another of these "gems" is the lads' take on Green Light Girl, I heard them try it out 6 months previously, and now, they own it. As ever, Silver Giver brings the set to a close, and each time it gives me shivers, picking out Virgil's inspirations.

That wasn't the end of the evening though, not bya long chalk. They came back out and Virgil literally and figuratively let his hair down as they ripped into a 3 part medely the likes of which I've not heard before. Think classic Deep Purple doing Motorhead's Overkill and that'll tell you the power and the performance. What did they do? Go catch them and find out... Or ask Martin, but he'll tell you to do the same.

Virgil was telling me before the show, he's just had his guitar re-fretted with big, stainless steel frets; and it sounded like it paid off. Only thing, the way Virgil was playing, I'd have gone for Tungsten Carbide or Adamantine steel, these one's ain't gonna last too long before they'll need re-doing.

It's great that the lads have been acknowledged in the BBA as Young Artists (okay, Virgil has, but this is a BAND), but a gig like this puts them squarely on the Adults table.

Gotta give tribute to Willie and his team at Mainsforth; super venue and great sound again. It may be off the established blues trail, but VATA are picking up a fan-base in the area and both Chantel McGregor and Danny Bryant have shaken (what little is left) dust from the rafters, so keep an eye out on the place.

Mike

42 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-05-15 02:25:26)

Just got emailed newsletter from Sedgefield Blues Club this morning; half  of their committee were at Manisforth on Saturday. This is their opinion on the night:-

"We've also been busy touring around the rock and blues circuit in the North East, taking in some cracking acts, some of which will be coming to our club next year, so watch this space. Having been blown away by Virgil and the Accelerators last night, we can highly recommend that you get off the sofa and go and see them."

Double-header with Ryan McGarvey..............?

Mike

Ryan and VATA would be awesome!!! Both bands are so good and fit together perfect.
I really hope Ryan gets tourdates in the UK, he deserves that!

Yet another trip to Glasgow. Bonus - its a Saturday!!

26th Sep Wolverhampton Slade Rooms
27th Sep Manchester Academy
28th Sep Newcastle The Cluny
29th Sep Glasgow O2 ABC
30th Sep Leeds The Cockpit
3rd  Oct Nottingham Rescue Rooms
4th  Oct Bath Komedia
5th  Oct Gloucester Guildhall
6th  Oct Poole Mr Kyps
7th  Oct Brighton, The Haunt

45 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-05-21 07:45:09)

Kenny wrote:

Yet another trip to Glasgow. Bonus - its a Saturday!!

26th Sep Wolverhampton Slade Rooms
27th Sep Manchester Academy
28th Sep Newcastle The Cluny
29th Sep Glasgow O2 ABC
30th Sep Leeds The Cockpit
3rd  Oct Nottingham Rescue Rooms
4th  Oct Bath Komedia
5th  Oct Gloucester Guildhall
6th  Oct Poole Mr Kyps
7th  Oct Brighton, The Haunt

This tour is with Aussie hard rockers Tracer, so make sure you've got plenty of ear protection!!!

Mike

That's another bonus Mike - I have their album and it's a belter.

What a good bit of news!  Mr Kyps in October ... that's a no brainer.  Who fancies a trip to Poole then?

Martin - you may get that Bonamassa Guitars t-shirt hand delivered after all.

Made up about this one, we can really rock it up. Bring out the artillery smile
Lyn - looking forward to it.

49 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-06-19 02:46:41)

Looks like the lads are in for a busy late summer right through to start of winter; better re-phrase that, these days that happens in a fortnight.

No sooner do they get through the late Festival season and a couple of weeks touring with Tracer, my spidy-sense tells me they're off back round the country with Wilko Johnson again for about 20 dates:-

Oct 11 - Komedia, Bath
Oct 12 - Phoenix, Exeter
Oct 13 - Guildhall, Gloucester
Oct 14 - Komedia, Brighton
Oct 17 - Cox's Yard, Stratford
Oct 18 - Fibbers, York
Oct 19 - The Sage, Gateshead
Oct 24 - Mr Kyps, Poole
Oct 25 - O2, Islington
Oct 26 - Corn Exchange. Hertford
Oct 27 - Picturedome, Holmfirth
Oct 28 - Plowright Theatre, Scunthorpe
Nov 1 - Corn Exchange, Bedford
Nov 2 - Citadel, St Helens
Nov 3 - O2 ABC, Glasgow
Nov 4 - Corn Exchange, Stamford
Nov 22 - The Met, Bury
Nov 23 - Platform, Morecambe
Nov 24 - Carnegie Theatre, Workington revised venue
Nov 25 - Robin 2, Wolverhampton

Think that's about right - see Wilko missing Shildon Civic this time round  :-(  Know someone who won't be too happy about that.

Mike

PS - LynB - looks like that's 2 trips to Poole in October....

Do they ever play the States? I would travel to see those guys.

Not yet but working on something for 2013, we get a lot of of support from the USA, which we are very grateful for.

wharris wrote:

Do they ever play the States? I would travel to see those guys.

Hope to see them soon back in The Netherlands or Belgium?
Walter from Belgium

We are working on the Middle of Nov, had a bunch of dates in Sept but had to cancel them due to the Tracer tour.

retlawv wrote:

Hope to see them soon back in The Netherlands or Belgium?
Walter from Belgium

Virgil & Co appeared at the Wardrobe in Leeds supporting Wilko. I couldn't be there but a couple of people have told me how much they've improved over the last couple of years.