Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Dang Jeff. You managed to get RiverCat and Duncan po'd. Well not like I haven't been in that predicament. We want all to be able to express their opinions and this topic will keep coming up. We all would like Joe to write more since he has grown so much as a writer. We know he can. I also know that there are reasons he doesn't and they are valid reasons. I think we will get that album of all originals someday when Joe is ready. Again I just like getting releases on a regular basis. We all are passionate fans with strong opinions we like to hear varied opinions at least I do, unless it is a certain reviewer out of Upstate NY,  but nobody wants to hear that their opinion is wrong or is not valid because they are somehow unqualified to express it. I think that is what RiverCat got upset about. Not sure about Duncan. Again let's try to get over this little dust up and move on. Not taking sides just trying to keep the peace. wink

Can't speak for BJJ, Jim, but for me, it's the title of the thread that offends me. Subsequent comments seem be telling Joe how to make hit CD's. For now, I think he's doing okay wink   Cathy

I thought about sticking my pinkie in but the water was cold.... and deep.
Agree with Jim. Take a deep breath. 'Taint worth the grief.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

I read somewhere that Joe was  covering SRV tunes when he was 7....note for note!!!!! If he stops doing covers.......he better do just one SRV original!!!!!  Gimme some Stangs Swang!!!

keep on covering the blues classics please, your covers often result in something better than the original.

cathysiler wrote:

Can't speak for BJJ, Jim, but for me, it's the title of the thread that offends me. Subsequent comments seem be telling Joe how to make hit CD's. For now, I think he's doing okay wink   Cathy

More than OK he is doing great. Love the covers love the originals I quit second guessing the boss a long time ago. Just enjoying the ride. Still I understand how people want to see him do more originals. He seldom writes on the road so if you are always on the road it's tough to write. Still got plenty of time for that album of original material. I keep suggesting covers though I want to hear him do. So far no luck with any. wink

79 (edited by Greenose 2012-05-30 01:30:19)

cathysiler wrote:

Hi Cathy, I think it's apparent that the title of the thread was written by a person with English not as their first language. Not the best title I agree...
Nobody is telling Joe how to make hit CDs, he can do that well on his own. The point was his albums might receive more universal critical acclaim. You've read the allmusic review "Joe isn't much of a song writer". We know it isn't true, but one all original album will kill negative comments like that stone dead. It was also mentioned that the grammy nominators may take more consideration to an album of all originals. The argument to keep the blues covers is a perfectly understandable argument of personal preference, there's nothing wrong with that view. The argument for all originals is that it may just change some firm perceptions already made about Joe from his detractors. It's hypothetical of course but its plausible. Maybe those comments are worthy of consideration... 

Incidently, had I not been named, then I wouldn't have posted again on the topic.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Joe makes music.  Darn good music.  Period.

When I listen to Joe's CDs, 99% of the time I don't know whether they're covers or originals until I read the liner notes and frankly as long as I enjoy them I don't care.

LynB wrote:

Joe makes music.  Darn good music.  Period.

When I listen to Joe's CDs, 99% of the time I don't know whether they're covers or originals until I read the liner notes and frankly as long as I enjoy them I don't care.

Amen, Lyn! wink

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

He has written some great songs by himself, but can you tell someone to stop making masterpieces like the ones below?!

reconsider baby
another kind of love
you upset me baby
walking blues

just to name a few...

thats the blues...

I'll say keep doing the great reinterpretation covers you do, Joe.  Case in point, Stones In My Passway.  What an awesome reinterpretation of one of the earliest roots blues songs by Robert Johnson.  I don't know where I heard some of RJ's stuff, maybe a blues documentary or something, but I hear real echoes vocally of RJ, and the song flat out rocks. 

So let's see.  Off the top of my head, Joe covers I couldn't live without that largely define his sound and catalog: Blues Deluxe, Burning Hell, Stones In My Passway, Sloe Gin.  Off the latest disk I also really like New Coat of Paint and I Got All You Need. 

I can understand the theoretical desire for more originals of the quality of the four that appear on DTTD.  But I trust Joe and Kevin to come up with a balance that keeps the quality high and the listening experience great.  By that standard Driving Towards the Daylight is a colossal success even beyond its chart success.  I love it even more with repeat listens.

After reading the first post, I'm not gonna bother reading the other 84 after it.  If the original poster doesn't like Joe's new album then he shouldn't buy it.  Perhaps he would like Joe to be like 99.9% of the artists out there who put out 1 album every 3-5 years and then tour once.  Can the O.P. name an artist who puts out an album every year of all new originals AND tours almost 365 days a year?????????????????

I don't know how or why Joe keeps up the schedule he does but I'm glad he does.  All of the songs Joe covers are MUCH better than the original and for myself and I'm sure most of Joe's fans, we don't know which are his and which are covers until we look them up. 

Maybe the O.P. would rather Joe spend his time as a judge on some asinine TV show trying to convince the stupid American public to watch an hour of crap.

Mods should lock this thread, or delete it.  Time to listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF-OH4jh … mp;list=UL  which by the way is 10 times better than the original.

See you in November Joe.

If you look up to the heavens just before the start of every Joe Bonamasaa concert you can see Stevie, Jimi, Muddy, Gary and others leaning over God’s railing jockeying for the best view. 
And if you listen, you can hear Stevie say  “ SHHhhhh,  The kids about to start playing.”

lest someone decides to trash or lock it, I'll take a parting shot. I cannot believe that the topic has spanned 5 pages. roll It seems like a no brainer to me, but we do love to argue heh? What originally attracted me to Joe was the combination of originals and covers, my fav song is actually an older cover. I don't want an all original or all covers CD, I want the mix that am used to, and I will feel cheated (no not really) if it is not a mix. Yeah, Joe's doing just fine in the direction he's headed, keep on keeping on and don't listen to the naysayers.

Tres

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

I think it's time this thread was locked now. Lets talk about what we all agree on.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)

...Like how amazing it is when an album gets "universal critical acclaim" that the following line is often...but sales were "off" (or non-existent yikes) ...I rest my case.  Business before pleasure. 

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

88 (edited by Greenose 2012-05-30 15:25:30)

Rocket wrote:

...Like how amazing it is when an album gets "universal critical acclaim" that the following line is often...but sales were "off" (or non-existent yikes) ...I rest my case.  Business before pleasure. 

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

Well if existing fans believe that a self penned album would only be of "demo like quality" then I guess Joe will have to stick to his existing formula, whether he wants to or like. Reason I've suggested the thread is ended is that people are flaming without reading the content. We can have this discussion another time when Joe doesn't have a new album to promote.

Agreed Duncan wink The thread title and the timing are my issue.  I'm fine with a future discussion regarding the merits of both. Cathy

I'm putting away the dead horse hammer now this thread has been beaten to death.