Topic: Who does she think she is?

http://www.syracusenewtimes.com/newyork … o-joe.html

This is an incredibly insulting article! Who does Jessica Novak think she is saying that Joe is doing wrong with his music?

I quote from Joe's FB: 'Jessica Novak you s**ck and so does Syracuse News for publishing that article.'

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Black + Gold Hardware, PRS SE Santana Yellow, Ovation Double-Neck Semi-Acoustic, Ovation Celebrity CC44 Honeyburst, Gibson 2008 Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst (#10), Gibson Robot Les Paul Studio 2012 Limited, Gibson 1976 Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst

Re: Who does she think she is?

So you change your underwear every 5-8 minutes?  Remember don't throw stones as a writer unless you have some good proofreaders!

Awestruck

xavier wrote:

This is an incredibly insulting article! Who does Jessica Novak think she is saying that Joe is doing wrong with his music?

I quote from Joe's FB: 'Jessica Novak you s**ck and so does Syracuse News for publishing that article.'

Read the review, read the comments, read what Joe had to say, M's Novak is on a hiding to nothing - lets move on!

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

Brack wrote:
xavier wrote:

Read the review, read the comments, read what Joe had to say, M's Novak is on a hiding to nothing - lets move on!

Exactly. Joe has a response on his facebook wall that says it all. Not much else needed.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Novak clearly does not understand that there are tonal differences between a Les Paul and an ES-335, and she wouldn't know a Bigbsy if it fell out the sky and hit her in the forehead. Her ignorant critiquing of Joe swapping guitars is reason enough for her review to be considered invalid by anyone who is remotely acquainted with the electric guitar.

Joe gives the guys more than ample respect. The fact of the matter is that I go to see Joe play, not Tal, not Anton, and not Carmine. They are there to back Joe. It's "An Evening with Joe Bonamassa", not "An Evening with the Joe Bonamassa Jam Band". Maybe the Dave Matthews Band would appeal to her more.

I suppose the only way Joe would be "blues enough" for her is if he shoots a man in Memphis and gets the electric chair. Absolutely ridiculous. Joe is doing for the blues now what Stevie did in the 80s, and the music world is a far better place for it.

That is all...

Gibson Custom Joe Bonamassa Ltd Signature Les Paul VOS # 31

I think jessica novak with her 144 followers on twitter and poor journalistic approach is just trying to make a name for herself. I totally would have just thanked Jessica for her insight into blues and happily advised her to keep listening to bieber and prefabricated pop. I think Jessica should possibly pay her dues...judging by her resume on LInked in she's just a hack

Smitty Custom classic Strat in sonic blue
Smitty Custom classic Gold top Hog tele
DR Z m12

I just learned that she's 24 years old... What the hell would she know about "dues"?

Gibson Custom Joe Bonamassa Ltd Signature Les Paul VOS # 31

Jimmy wrote:

I just learned that she's 24 years old... What the hell would she know about "dues"?

Welllll in fairness, 24 isnt too young to have paid "dues", I sure as hell did by that age. But somehow I do picture her "dues" as Starbucks running out of syrup for her vanilla latte.

Brack wrote:

I searched the reviews.
Can't see a review post by Joe in any of the comments

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

For the most part it's not a badly written review, save for her negativity regarding Joe's emotion and the bands lack of competence. I've been reading music reviews for years from Rolling Stone down to the local fish wraps(as Rick likes to call them). One thing I noticed over the years is some kind of unwritten law amongst music critics that you can't write an artist up without some slight. I guess it's just not cool to flat out praise somebodies talents. I'm not saying every single one of them are guilty, but it's a common denominator I see in articles about live performances or studio efforts. Remember this is just one writers opinion and opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one.

Rock The Vote,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

holdemxpert wrote:
Jimmy wrote:

Welllll in fairness, 24 isnt too young to have paid "dues", I sure as hell did by that age. But somehow I do picture her "dues" as Starbucks running out of syrup for her vanilla latte.

Or schedule her pedicure when she wanted to.

Ohhh!, The Humanity!!!

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

DougH wrote:
Brack wrote:

I searched the reviews.

Joe has made his feeling known on his fb page.

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

DougH wrote:
Brack wrote:

I searched the reviews.

Check Joe's Facebook, he posted on there about it smile

18th October 2011 - Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff

I see this as an complete insult. Stating that "he has no connection" with the audience is just NOT true. You could ask any person around the world "listen to this, it's Joe Bonamassa" and they would be amazed. The facts are that Joe has played in sold out theatres all around the world, working as hard as he can, and that a LOT of people dig what he does.

I don't charge for mistakes. - Joe Bonamassa

Uh oh...she was a drum major.....lmfao!

jnovak@syracusenewtimes.com

Cathy's response to that grizzled old inexperienced young "critic" was just too perfect. Nothing else needs to be added.

Maybe I've drawn too much attention to this.

I messaged her to ask her why she said the things she said and had she seen Joe's response. She replied:

'Hi Xavier,

I did not mean to insult or offend. I've been a huge Bonamassa fan for some time and was looking forward to the show for months. I didn't bash or trash in the review and in fact think Joe could be a musician noted in the history books, as I said. However, I wrote what I saw and felt at the show. I wish him and his family the best. I think he's capable of incredible things.

Best,
Jessica'

I replied: All is forgiven

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Black + Gold Hardware, PRS SE Santana Yellow, Ovation Double-Neck Semi-Acoustic, Ovation Celebrity CC44 Honeyburst, Gibson 2008 Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst (#10), Gibson Robot Les Paul Studio 2012 Limited, Gibson 1976 Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst

ohiodawg13 wrote:

One thing I noticed over the years is some kind of unwritten law amongst music critics that you can't write an artist up without some slight. I guess it's just not cool to flat out praise somebodies talents. I'm not saying every single one of them are guilty, but it's a common denominator I see in articles about live performances or studio efforts.

I agree.  There's a fair amount of praise in the review, but it also reads like the reviewer came into the show with a couple of preconceptions (possibly formed by "research" on the interwebs, where there is a fair amount of Joe-bashing to be found...you can even find some posts HERE where folks have voiced similar sentiments); this is a difficult thing for an experienced reviewer to avoid, much less someone so young as Ms. Novak...

The point about "band camaraderie" is just silly; I've seen plenty of it in the three shows I've been fortunate enough to attend.  I guess for some folks, "camaraderie" is that time-wasting horsing around so many musicians engage in between numbers, much of it stale and rehearsed.  If you don't see/hear that this band gets along just fine, and that each performer's contributions are essential to the sound, you're just not paying attention...

I would say the same thing about the supposed "emotional disconnect" between Joe and his audience.  Maybe she was just sitting next to the wrong people.  Next time, she should sit next to me and watch what happens when Joe plays "Midnight Blues" or "Mountain Time."  "Emotional disconnect" my a$$...   wink

She strikes me as the kind of person whose definition of "blues" is severely limited, which is a shame. It is possible to play the blues without sounding like Blind Willie Johnson doing "Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground," eh?  And it IS rather comical to hear such a young person say that Joe doesn't appear to have paid his "dues."  She clearly doesn't know anything about Joe's backstory, or she would never have said something so preposterous...

All in all, it isn't a terrible review, but it is certainly an example of what the social scientists call confirmation bias...she went into the show with some pre-formed opinions and, wonder of wonders, saw and heard nothing that would convince her those opinions were mistaken...

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO