91 (edited by Lynnl 2011-12-01 19:58:40)

Re: So I did one myself...

Wonder how many excluded guitarist felt they needed to to do their own list?
If it's for fun fair enough, if it's for ego, who cares. Better to count your blessings than sound bitter. How many guys unerd 40 are on that list??

Lists are for shoppers and the first signs of Altzheimers. Just enjoy the music. Most lists come from a target listening group anyway. That's how we end up with the X factor and other trash that fills our tv shows. This is highlighted when occasionally there is a really good music show and we all have to pass it around because it isn't publicised, it's on late at night on BBC 4 or other non mainstream channel. If you don't look at Rolling Stone or the many other so called big players or buy their products then they will become worthless anyway.

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Glad to see Segovia on the list. I can hear the classical influence in a lot of what you do.  Did you have much/any classical training?

I had the pleasure of seeing Segovia in '77 at the age of 84!  It took him about 3 minutes to walk to center stage and sit down.  But from the minute he started playing he transported us to another planet. Different genre but exactly what you do, too.  Christopher Parkening is was his #1 protoge' at the time and is worth a listen if you haven't heard him.

Looking forward to seeing you on Monday night in Phoenix (concert #7). I was able to arrange a businiess trip next week to Tuscon and am making a slight detour ;-)

94 (edited by jakey 2011-12-17 07:04:52)

Noting Joe's list, I always believe this is a very personal thing and of course there is no way of qualitiatively assessing 'best'. It's who you like!

I love players that 'play the song' and make themselves work into the music and are part of the song, so some some strange choices for me...

I'm sure I'll have missed one or 2 off mine but here goes:

1. David Gilmour

Daylight

2. Joe B (sorry buddy!)
3.Eric Clapton
4. Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac)
5. Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music)
6. Carlos Alomar (Bowie)
7. Neil Finn (Crowded House)
8. Neil Young
9. Paul Kossoff
Joint 10th (cos I can't choose). Andy Summers (Police), Nile Rogers (Chic) Gary Moore, Robert Smith (Cure) and Snowy White!!!!

"Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips...."

JB LP Goldtop No. 290- Aged...rather like me.

Mike Campbell is seriously under-rated. If you have seen him live you will know what I mean.

Kenny

Kenny wrote:

Mike Campbell is seriously under-rated. If you have seen him live you will know what I mean.

Kenny

Although slightly off topic, for those close to Cork, Dublin and the IOW you'll have the chance to see Mike Campbell live next year !

97 (edited by Kenny 2011-12-21 04:16:03)

PaulG wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Kenny

Although slightly off topic, for those close to Cork, Dublin and the IOW you'll have the chance to see Mike Campbell live next year !

Emerald Isle here I come. Expensive pints of Guiness on the menu. And a trip to Rory Gallagher's grave.

I'm old school but I didn't see Randy Bachman.  From The Guess Who, BTO, and solo stuff, Randy can't be ignored.  He has written some great tunes and provided some classic riffs over the years.  I'm sure that Joe B. would agree.

Livermore, CA

jakey wrote:

Noting Joe's list, I always believe this is a very personal thing and of course there is no way of qualitiatively assessing 'best'. It's who you like!

So true!

Mine favourites:

1.  Jimmy Page (always been and think always will be)
2.  Joe
3.  Dickey Betts
4.  Billy Gibbons
5.  Warren Haynes
6.  Mark Knopler
7.  Rory Gallagher
8.  Keith Richards
9.  The Edge
10. Brad Whitford

jakey wrote:

I love players that 'play the song' and make themselves work into the music and are part of the song, so some some strange choices for me...

I'm sure I'll have missed one or 2 off mine but here goes:

1. David Gilmour

Daylight

2. Joe B (sorry buddy!)
3.Eric Clapton
4. Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac)
5. Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music)
6. Carlos Alomar (Bowie)
7. Neil Finn (Crowded House)
8. Neil Young
9. Paul Kossoff
Joint 10th (cos I can't choose). Andy Summers (Police), Nile Rogers (Chic) Gary Moore, Robert Smith (Cure) and Snowy White!!!!

I'm new and I loved the Blues Brothers/John Candy ref.  Took me a second!
The great quotes are endless.  My personal fav "lead singer and driver of the Winnebago".

Livermore, CA

Cannot believe no one has mentioned Richard Thompson - Masterful Guitar Player

Any of the guys from The Black Crowes over the years...because they are exceptionally tasteful and always play for the song.

The one I take greatest influence from is Marc Ford...every note is my favourite.

103 (edited by DarthElvis 2012-01-31 21:55:37)

I dunno Joe. Rory Gallagher could move up a couple dozen spots.

Anyways, My top 5 :

1. Rory
2. Stevie (SRV)
3. David Gilmour
4. Randy Rhoads (huge part of my formative years)
5. Joe (You got me back into playing guitar. I can never thank you enough)

Plus hundreds (#5 doesn't seem so bad now does it?) more that I'm forgetting(Robben Ford, Gary Moore, Kief, etc.), but these are my current top 5.

Brazenhead wrote:

Ted Nugent

Who could forget the 'Nuge? wink

Noticed dimebag on the list, with metal artists in there Dave Mustaine definitely should have made it haha. I'd throw Jack White in there too, his simplistic, odd sounds are a great influence on me, and obviously Joe gets my list too.

Music is a powerful thing...

Here's my top 20
1. Hendrix
2. Page
3. Beck
4. Kossoff
5. Clapton
6. Allman
7. Rory Gallagher
8. Buddy Guy
9. B.B. King
10. SRV
11. George Harrison
12. Rhoads
13. Peter Green
14. David Gilmour
15. Eddie Van Halen (He's fast and his phrasing and bends are decent but he plays way to many pinch harmonics, atleast when I saw him live.)
16. Leslie West
17. Ritchie Blackmore
18. Joe Bonamassa- Face it Joe, your hard work is paying off.
19. Billy Gibbons
20. Django Reinhardt

I haven't listened to many jazz guitarists, but that's my list, and I'm sticking to it.

Just couple I haven't seen that come to mind immediately:
Coco Montoya
Jake Cinninger

107 (edited by rioi 2012-05-21 14:06:51)

I'm really new to the hole guitar thing, but in the last two years i have found a couple of favourites.
For the record: This is probably not a "best guitarists in the world list" but my personal favourites

1: Stevie Ray Vaughan  (Third stone from the sun, Life without you, Tin pan alley... All live.. The guy that got me into guitar!)
2: Joe Bonamassa
3: Gary Moore
4: Jimi Hendrix
5: Petrucci/Vai/Satch
6: Vidar Busk (Norwegian blues strat player)

My favourites:

1) Joe Bonamassa

Nothing has not already been said to say what an awe inspiring musician he is. If I hadn't come across Joe I would have probably given up guitar.

2) Eric Clapton (mostly Cream tracks)

Being an 11 year old kid at the time in, sitting on the living room floor in front of the TV, only now I'm 15 and realize what a life-changing moment it was to see the Cream Reunion Concert. For the first time I found music I liked and the person I wanted to be.

3) Jay Jesse Johnson

This guy is practically unknown and a very promosing musician he is. The heavy chorus tone he is able to get is truly magical, on tracks like 'Hear No Evil' and 'Blues For The Devil'.

4) Philip Sayce

Another almost unknown with an amazing repetoire. His first album has always been my favourite. Like SRV, his playing has energy and depth.

5) Gary Moore

One of the greatest guitar players of all time. A great master of the blues and rock. My favourite tracks are 'Midnight Blues' and 'Parisienne Walkway'.

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Black + Gold Hardware, PRS SE Santana Yellow, Ovation Double-Neck Semi-Acoustic, Ovation Celebrity CC44 Honeyburst, Gibson 2008 Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst (#10), Gibson Robot Les Paul Studio 2012 Limited, Gibson 1976 Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst