Topic: Asking Around For You

I just got the new Cd over the weekend and I have to say JOE it is awesome!!! Asking around for you is one of the best songs I have heard in a in a long time. Im not saying the rest of the CD is not good ( the whole cd is awesome) but that song just hit me if that makes any sense...

Steve

Re: Asking Around For You

This one is gettin me too..great tune

Wait until you see him perform it live!

The blues isn't about a look or a specific sound, the blues is something deep within. But the sound doesn't hurt things, you know? ~ Ben Hernandez

That is his encore for this tour

scottphilly

It's interesting. The first time my girlfriend and I heard this song (live at the Tangier in Akron a few months back), we interpreted it as a song emphasizing the enormity and completeness of love, and how one never wants to lose it, but wants to carry it with them to the "next place."

The song hit us so hard that we immediately knew it was going to be (one of) our wedding songs. Now, having gotten Y&M and listened to the song, oh, 50 or so times, it just occured to me that Joe might be singing about a lost loved one, as Jane wrote about in a previous post. Which, of course, got me to thinking about its appropriateness for a wedding.

For about a minute.

The beauty of the song (and the blues; and music in general) is that it doesn't matter. Whatever YOU take from any song is what's most important. So thanks to Himmelstein for writing, and Joe for singing and playing, one of the most soulful, emotional and beautiful songs I've heard in a long while.

I love that song as well.  Theres just something amazing about it.  Whenever I listen to You and Me, I always listen to that one twice before going on to So Many Roads.  Does anyone else hear the Ray Charles vibe in it?

All I can say is "Awesome song"! This is definitely one of my favorites of Joe's growing catalog, which is saying a lot.
I heard this live before the album was released and it was the highlight of the show for me.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't like it - though I haven't heard it live yet.

I agree with everyone.  I didn't think you could top "I Don't Live Anywhere" or "When She Dances."  But once again Joe continues to deliver.  The song was more subtle live, he played it on a Gibson semi-hollow and it was just beautiful.  A great way to close the show.  Awesome!

Last night he played it on Lucille. I commented to Joe afterwards about what would BB King think if he knew Lucille was cheating on him. His response: "That is a sweet guitar."

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

WordGuy, the absolute greatest thing about music is you may interpret it to mean whatever you want. I like your take on "Asking Around For You". It certainly could be that just as much as it could anything else.

I think you should keep it as your song. Make yours. Definitely.

The blues isn't about a look or a specific sound, the blues is something deep within. But the sound doesn't hurt things, you know? ~ Ben Hernandez

Asking Around For You is definitely one of my favorite "Joe" songs.  When I hear it I want to pour a glass of wine or two and dance the slow dance with my man. Joe has definitely captured the feel of the blues in this CD. Looking forward to seeing Joe play this one live next month.  smile

I also absolutely LOVE this song!!! Joe's voice takes on a new dimension in this song and one can hear a Ray Charles influence behind the vocals. wordguy-Songs should mean whatever you want them to mean to you, you are the listener, so it's up to you. IMO

Pattie wrote:

Asking Around For You is definitely one of my favorite "Joe" songs.  When I hear it I want to pour a glass of wine or two and dance the slow dance with my man. Joe has definitely captured the feel of the blues in this CD. Looking forward to seeing Joe play this one live next month.  smile

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Everyone keeps saying they hear Ray, which of course I do, but I also get a heavy Leon Russell "Song For You" vibe.

hi wordguy-Interesting  you would mention Leon Russell, I've been a fan for over 30 years and heard him last night! I'm wondering if you mean Leon's style of singing, as opposed to the sound of his voice? How could one even describe Leon's voice, gravel-like? Can't think of the right adjectives...Last night I was watching the show House, which I think was a rerun, but I didn't see the beginning of the season. The closing song was a Leon song "Stranger In A Strangeland". I saw Leon in March with Dave Mason and on another Dr. House show, they played Dave Mason, so they probably have a baby boomer making some of the music decisions on the show.  Where I'm going with all this is, I had told a couple street teamers that I thought "Asking Around For You" was a great song to play on "House" and also another doctor show I watch "Grey's Anatomy". To me, it's a spirtual song that stirs up many emotions and feelings including faith, hope, love and believing, so that's why I thought it was a good fit. Sometimes circumstances present an awakening of these feelings.

wordguy71 wrote:

Everyone keeps saying they hear Ray, which of course I do, but I also get a heavy Leon Russell "Song For You" vibe.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

I was talking more about the song itself, Leon's version specifically. The tempo, rhythm and "Singin' a song for you"/"Asking around for you" thing. But I agree, AAFY would be a great song for either of those shows.

Here are the lyrics to "Asking Around for You":

If I get to heaven
The first thing I'll do
Before I met my maker
I'm gonna ask around for you

All of heaven's got to know
The beauty of the truth
I'll tap an angel on the shoulder
And I'll be asking around for you

I'm sure you've found a place up there
Where we could all sit & talk a while
Play some cards & drink black coffee
How I'd love to see you smile

If I get to heaven, now
Oh, I'm prayin now-- it'll,
It'll be the first thing I do

I'm sure you've found a place up there
Where we could all sit & talk a while
Play some cards & drink black coffee
How I'd love to see you smile

If I get to heaven now, oh I'm prayin' now
It'll, it'll be the first thing I do

and I'll be coming home to you

This song--both its words and music--is a beautiful & very meaningful work of art, in my opinion.  So meaningful, in fact, that it's actually hard for me to listen to, especially with Father's Day coming up.  That aside, the gentle but awesome playing and the soulfulness with which it's sung makes it utterly primo.  I first heard this song on that European interview, but the sound quality was such that it didn't really hit me; it sure did the following month, though, when I heard it live-- and it has everytime since then!

"The Blues is like a tonic for all that ails you."  BB King

Rock ON & Keep the Faith!

It's my favorite song on this CD. Beautifully orchestrated.
Cion