Topic: Rupp Arena Lexington Kentucky 5/11/12

The Lexington welcome mat is out for Joe, Rick, Carmine, Tal and crew's upcoming visit to our beautiful city. Joe's last show here in April 2010 at the Lexington Opera House seating just over 1000. Rupp Arena being down sized (capacity is 23,000+ for basketball & concerts) I was told to around 2500? Over double in two years. Rupp Arena opened in 1976 and was named for Coach Adolph Rupp, Hall of Fame Basketball Coach, for the Univserity of Kentucky from 1930 to 1972.  It is the home court the 2012 National Champion University of Kentucky Wildcat Men's Basketball team Can't wait to see the guys performing under the mass of tourney and Final Four banners that hang from the rafters cool

My first ever live concert was at Rupp Arena, Heart May 6, 1980 I will never forget it.  Just a teenager, only had my learner's permit to drive. My parents had not allowed me to go to concerts yet. I was spending the night with a friend and we went with a bunch of girls to Lexington (my hometown 17 miles outside of Lexington) didn't tell my parents until afterward, they realized I survived and I was allowed to go to concerts from then on. In those days big arena shows were frequent and I was very fortunate to be able to go to a lot of shows.

Recently I was trying to find out the date of the Van Halen show I saw there in 1980, for $9.00 the half of the stub I have from the show had the date torn off. A friend shared this link with me. It lists every event at Rupp Arena since 1976!! The 1st concert there was Lawrence Welk, I remember my parents going to Neil Sedaka one of the 1st few shows there smile I am attaching the link, it is a great read for any music lover. I saw David Bowie there in 1987, Carmine's bio says he was with Bowie through 1987, I've always wondered did I see Carmine at Rupp Arena already? If not with Bowie maybe with Rod Stewart he has been in concert at Rupp many times as you can see on the list.

It's interesting too, to see what bands were touring together in the 70's & 80's. As I scrolled the list one that I was sorry I missed was Rush w/ Rory Gallagher 10/30/82. I would have been a poor college student then, only reason I can think I didn't get to that one. What a show that must have been? Elvis sold out the arena however passed away before the concert. Many folks never returned their ticket for the refund. You can tell as you scroll the list the mid 90's is when the list of shows starts to decline probably a good measure of fewer tours booking the large arena shows.

http://www.rupparena.com/aboutUs/eventTimeline.php

Working on a preshow get together for those attending, will post the details here as soon as I have them smile If you're going to the show please plan to join us, everyone is welcome smile

f/k/a #1kyfan original registration 5/2010
"Lookout Man the storm's about to rage"

Re: Rupp Arena Lexington Kentucky 5/11/12

great post Lizzee!!!  i've spent half my life in rupp for shows and basketball......my home away from home!!

Not sure if anyone from here will be attending tonight's show at Rupp Arena. If so and anyone would like to meet up before the show there is a bar/restaurant that is in Lexington Center (same building as Rupp) called Yesterday's. Food is reasonably priced and billiards is you want to shoot a game of pool smile Please post here or send me a private message if interested?

Thanks Masque, spent lots of time Rupp too! Really looking forward to tonight's show!!!

Great show at Rupp.  Loved it.  Glad to see Joe's fan base in the Bluegrass growing.  Would love to see the set list.

See the Omaha thread and the entry from COACH305.  He has the set list from that show and it was the same at Indy last weekend with the exception of Tea For One was played in place of Blues Deluxe, since Doug Henthorn, the singer on T41 is from Indy and came onstage and performed it with Joe and the band.

pathoag wrote:

Great show at Rupp.  Loved it.  Glad to see Joe's fan base in the Bluegrass growing.  Would love to see the set list.

Thanks.  Got the set list. 

thaze wrote:

See the Omaha thread and the entry from COACH305.  He has the set list from that show and it was the same at Indy last weekend with the exception of Tea For One was played in place of Blues Deluxe, since Doug Henthorn, the singer on T41 is from Indy and came onstage and performed it with Joe and the band.

pathoag wrote:

Show at RUPP last night kicked serious tail!! I have seen Joe several times, and I swear last night Joe rocked his butt off and played amazing!!! Im a drummer by trade, and guitarist by hobby - I loved the sounds of the drums last night - sounded like friggin CANNONS!! LIZZEE - We didnt get down there until showtime, or id we would have loved to meet up with some forum Friends!! Are you going to the Charleston WV show Lizzee?

Rupp Arena was rowdy last night! Joe even said so smile Starting promptly at 8 as always, Slow Train a perfect opener. it just rocked and set the mood for the evening. From where I sat the sound was perfect and Joe, Tal, Carmine and Rick seemed to be having a blast. Midnight Blues one of favorites of the show, I woke up still singing it in my head this morning. Second time I've seen it live a great addition to the set list can't wait to have it on a Beacon cd. Another great addition  Look Over Yondrs Wall this arrangement different than the studio version a real treat live.

The interview from LexGo which is posted in General Topics, Joe mentions hearing the crowd sing songs back to you, you should have heard the fans in Rupp singing along to BOJH last night! It was a thrill for me I can only imagine what it must have felt like for the guys to hear on stage.

Joe mentioned winning the BMA award for Dust Bowl while talking about his new release and not having any hits. Lots of "Go Joe' and "We love you Joe" from the crowd. Personally every song is a hit to me not a single one I dislike or prefer over the other because there are so many I couldn't choose a favorite.

The exchange between Tal and Joe at the beginning of Young Man Blues was too much fun! Really funny last night was during the back and forth when unexpectedly Tal hit the cow bell! A big laugh out loud from the crowd and from Joe & Carmine. And of course lots of "more cow bell please" shouts from the crowd.

Seeing Driving Towards the Daylight was another highlight, this song is so good, really cannot wait for the cd. No flying V on Just Got Paid, I know nothing about guitars so I honestly could not tell which was played and I may have missed somewhere what & why it was replaced. Still an awesome ending to for me what was a perfect show in my hometown.

I cannot say it enough, thank you, Joe, Carmine, Tal, Rick, the crew and everyone at J & R for coming back to Lexington and all that you do to make "An Evening with Joe Bonamassa" the best 2 hours+ of live entertainment there is!

The set list is the same as Omaha, will place here to save cross referencing

Slow Train
Last Kiss
Midnight Blues
Dust Bowl
Who's Been Talking
Sloe Gin
Ballad of John Henry
Lonesome Road Blues
Look Over Yondrs Wall
Steal Your Heart Away
Blues Deluxe
Young Man Blues
Woke Up Dreaming
India/Django Mountain Time

Encore
Driving Towards the Daylight
Just Got Paid

If anyone sees any errors in order or omissions please help me correct

Also, here is also a link to a great review and photos I that saw posted to Joe's Facebook Fan page smile

http://rock-nb.com/concert-reviews/joe- … ington-ky/

Very cool! You posted my review here. Long time reader, first time poster. lol Thanks Lizzee!!

Nursing a miserable cold has me awake at all hours and what delightful reads Lizzee and googlyi. Welcome to the forum by the way googlyi. Please stay out of the shadows and join us in the celebration of all that keeps us coming back for more. Thank you both and thanks again Lizzee for the link. It just keeps on getting better.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

googlyi wrote:

Very cool! You posted my review here. Long time reader, first time poster. lol Thanks Lizzee!!

Hi googlyi welcome to the forum as well. You should fit in here fine. Tell us a bit about yourself. There is a newbies introduction thread to do this from. In the meantime enjoy the company. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Thanks everyone!

Sorry I did not get the chance to post this sooner, shortly after the Rupp show one of my dearest friend's Mother passed away. It was the day before this review was in the Lexington Herald-Leader on May 18. Over the last few weeks family and friends have been home for funeral, graduation, and the Memorial Day Weekend I have just had the first chance to find this review archived in the reviewer's blog. He does answer my previous question about Carmine playing at Rupp with Bowie, still not sure about Rod Stewart in 1991, I took along my ticket stubs and Feb. Bass Player magazine just in case I got the chance to ask Carmine but missed him sad Hopefully there's next time smile:)

http://musicalbox.bloginky.com/2012/05/ … namassa-2/

Welcome Pathoag, & Googlyi, and thanks for the great review & photos, glad you introduced yourself! Don't be strangers!

Blues & Tattoos sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, I did meet some friends from Lexington there  before and after the show. There were several different tables of folks throughout Yesterday's before the show. I had forgotten to mention Yesterday's was playing Joe while we were there before the show. When stopping in after the show the manager came over to ask how was the show? He said he was a big fan and couldn't get the night off but he had been playing Joe's Pandora channel all night  smile The Charleston show is on the radar, I have tickets for Cincinnati on Nov 9, the 6 hour round trip to Charleston harder to do on a week day but anything's possible smile

So Lizzee,

The answer is yes.  Carmine was there with Rod in 91 and probably 6-7 more times during the 90s...with Rod.

MuchLove
BigJeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

bigjeffjones wrote:

So Lizzee,

The answer is yes.  Carmine was there with Rod in 91 and probably 6-7 more times during the 90s...with Rod.

MuchLove
BigJeff

Thanks BJJ, I knew that dates worked but wasn't sure if he was on tour, I remember the Rod Stewart was a great concert, and the Bowie show is one of my all time favorite concerts cool