Re: Forum players under 21

Jlowther wrote:
RusScagell wrote:
Jlowther wrote:

Thanks guys! and Rus I am also finishing year 13 within the next 20 days - happy times! big_smile

Fantastic! Off to Uni? What're your plans?
Tasty video of Thrill is Gone man, loved that smile
Rus

Thanks bud:) ... off to Lincoln University to study programming for games! How about you?

Come to my college at Blackburn. You can give me lessons, lol

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

GaryParker wrote:

Hahaa, I take it as a compliment :-p
Oh, I was wondering where that had gone...I dont want to be a pain or anything but I just think in the section it was in it had more potetial to gain publicity (what i'm tryng to do, aswell as promote my new music). 

Cheers
-Gary Parker

I'll try and explain my reasoning for your (and everyone elses's) benefit, Gary.

We noticed a definite trend of more and more youngsters joining up and starting topics for their own music. In itself, this is a very good, positive, and happy turn of events! We love young players, none more than Granny Cathy!

Once we decided to create the sticky for the very purpose of encouraging and fostering the interchange of ideas and comments amongst yourselves, and between the rest of us and you youngsters, I could envisage a situation whereby quite a number of the topics towards the top of Other Artists would be your topics, while we also had the sticky, in which you would presumably be posting the same links and work. This would work to the detriment of all the other artists who have topics, and create redundant posting.

Hence, I thought it would be a better and neater (I'm kind of anal like that, sorry wink ) idea to just have the sticky here, and to have existing personal topics down in Old. Try and look at it this way - Old is just another part of the forum; none of the topics are locked, and anyone is free to post down there. If you all know that your 'own' topics are in there, you can always access them if required.

To be clear, this was my idea, not Cathy's or anyone else's. I played it like I saw it, with absolutely no intention of causing any damage to any of you. I am certainly not infallible. What I decided is not written in stone, and I am always open to persuasion by reasonable argument. If you all think that what I did is a really bad move, let me know.

In the meantime, please humo(u)r me guys, and let's give this a try. If it turns out that I have somehow miscalculated and that this is a bad move, I will be happy to reverse it.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Come to my college at Blackburn. You can give me lessons, lol

Haha no problem! tongue not sure how far Blackburn is from Lincoln if I'm honest! I'm actually from up North originally (Bradford)

Amsterhammer ... yeah this is a fair way to do it I guess .. the only thing I would say though is that it's hard for us to create a portfolio of our work in a neat little place (Like our personal topics) so when people want to search for someone in particular they will find it difficult wading through all the comments on here to find the particular song/video

Jlowther wrote:

Haha thanks Pete you should start recording some stuff!

Thanks Stefan mate:) can't wait to see yours !

...i did post my 'unique' ( < kind word ) version of the Thrill' some time back! ...but alas i'm not young enough to post a link here even allowing for the discrepancy on my birth certificate! sad

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Amsterhammer wrote:
GaryParker wrote:

Hahaa, I take it as a compliment :-p
Oh, I was wondering where that had gone...I dont want to be a pain or anything but I just think in the section it was in it had more potetial to gain publicity (what i'm tryng to do, aswell as promote my new music). 

Cheers
-Gary Parker

I'll try and explain my reasoning for your (and everyone elses's) benefit, Gary.

We noticed a definite trend of more and more youngsters joining up and starting topics for their own music. In itself, this is a very good, positive, and happy turn of events! We love young players, none more than Granny Cathy!

Once we decided to create the sticky for the very purpose of encouraging and fostering the interchange of ideas and comments amongst yourselves, and between the rest of us and you youngsters, I could envisage a situation whereby quite a number of the topics towards the top of Other Artists would be your topics, while we also had the sticky, in which you would presumably be posting the same links and work. This would work to the detriment of all the other artists who have topics, and create redundant posting.

Hence, I thought it would be a better and neater (I'm kind of anal like that, sorry wink ) idea to just have the sticky here, and to have existing personal topics down in Old. Try and look at it this way - Old is just another part of the forum; none of the topics are locked, and anyone is free to post down there. If you all know that your 'own' topics are in there, you can always access them if required.

To be clear, this was my idea, not Cathy's or anyone else's. I played it like I saw it, with absolutely no intention of causing any damage to any of you. I am certainly not infallible. What I decided is not written in stone, and I am always open to persuasion by reasonable argument. If you all think that what I did is a really bad move, let me know.

In the meantime, please humo(u)r me guys, and let's give this a try. If it turns out that I have somehow miscalculated and that this is a bad move, I will be happy to reverse it.

Thanks for the long, extensive reply, I completely nderstand where youre coming from.  I'm more than happy to post in this sticky - lets see how this goes :-) fingers crossed.

Thanks again,
-GaryParker

What a great thread, some amazing talent in this forum for sure, really enjoyed going through these uploads, keep it up guys!

Jane H. wrote:

So the young ones should go to Old? sorry but the irony just cracked me up there. I think your intentions are wonderful A/h but it does seem more fair to me to let each other artist have their own thread. Just my opinion. I think it could work ok along with this thread, where one could intro themselves as a young artist (if they wanted to) but post in their thread when they have something new?

True, but a gentle reminder to not excessively bump for views would be appropriate. The youthful competition could get fierce. I think the sticky serves that purpose so established artists don't get buried before the topic is seen.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

RickB wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

So the young ones should go to Old? sorry but the irony just cracked me up there. I think your intentions are wonderful A/h but it does seem more fair to me to let each other artist have their own thread. Just my opinion. I think it could work ok along with this thread, where one could intro themselves as a young artist (if they wanted to) but post in their thread when they have something new?

True, but a gentle reminder to not excessively bump for views would be appropriate. The youthful competition could get fierce. I think the sticky serves that purpose so established artists don't get buried before the topic is seen.

+1 !

RickB wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

Thanks Rick. Plain and simple.  Now can we stop discussing the thread and concentrate on the contents. We do, indeed, have a lot of talented young guns here. smile   Cluck cluck, Cathy

Hi everyone again,

I'd just like to share with you an Improv in a Joe Bonamassa (ish) style I did a while back at the beginning of December 2011 - anyways, here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yC4Mtgr … mp;list=UL

Many Thanks
-Gary Parker

GaryParker wrote:

Hi everyone again,

I'd just like to share with you an Improv in a Joe Bonamassa (ish) style I did a while back at the beginning of December 2011 - anyways, here it is!

Many Thanks
-Gary Parker

Cool! Sounds more like Satriani to my ears - not a bad thing !!

I'm 9 years past 21 but heres a video of a gig I did the other week. All I used was a LP Standard, Class5 and a Line 6 M9 for some drive and delay. We played a 45 minute set so kept the equipment light. Enjoy and thanks for watching. -S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WOKyigttfk

helrazr84 wrote:

I'm 9 years past 21 but heres a video of a gig I did the other week. All I used was a LP Standard, Class5 and a Line 6 M9 for some drive and delay. We played a 45 minute set so kept the equipment light. Enjoy and thanks for watching. -S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WOKyigttfk

That was really nice playing ... I'm interested in what your method was for building up the speed ?

Cheers Seth

Jlowther wrote:

That was really nice playing ... I'm interested in what your method was for building up the speed ?
Cheers Seth

Thanks a lot Jonny! I used to listen to a ton of Satriani and Vai, and any "speed" I have is more legato based similar to their playing style. Even though Satriani is considered a technical player, his playing is much more loose than that of Vai and Malmsteen- which I like. Theres a lot of straight forward rock/blues influence in his phrases (I think) so maybe listen to some of his live stuff and pick out a few parts. Trying to now work on getting my picking hand more in sync to do more precise runs but its hard since I'm used to playing a different style overall. As you play more, it will come. Talk to you on the flip side! -S

Not bad for an old young un...Thanks. Always great to listen to the talent n this forum.

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Jlowther wrote:
GaryParker wrote:

Hi everyone again,

Many Thanks
-Gary Parker

Cool! Sounds more like Satriani to my ears - not a bad thing !!

Yeahh, probably more Satriani in there really! He's my real inside inspiration from the start of my playing!

Anyways, cheers bud, nice playing too :-)

-Gary Parker

Nice playing Gary.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

GaryParker wrote:

Hi everyone again,

Many Thanks
-Gary Parker

Really cool Gary, I've loved all your stuff, keep on doing what keeps you motivated....I can never get enough guitar playing for my ears smile

Shred