Topic: Des Moines, 5/3/12

Set list was the same as Omaha 4/26/12, so just a few random observations from a splendid evening...

• It was a gas to finally meet Patty, who lives just about 80 miles east of me.  Can't imagine anyone being a more cheerful and enthusiastic ambassador for Joe and his music.  You go, girl...   wink

• Also fun to meet a few other forum denizens at long last...

• The Des Moines Civic Center is a substantially better venue than the Music Hall in Omaha (and that's not just home state boosterism).  Better sight lines, better acoustics, and a professional approach to hosting the event (including ushers, a concept with which the folks in Omaha would do well to acquaint themselves).  Plus, the A/C was actually working...

• Tal seems to be much more comfortable and relaxed compared to when I saw him in March 2011, which is to be expected.  He and Carmine are working together much better now, and their obvious joy in playing is contagious...

• Rick is, quite simply, a treasure.  Period.

• Joe's playing is always marvelous, but he brought a little extra magic last night.  He also seemed more relaxed and even playful at times ("Look Over Yonder's Wall" put a BIG smile on my face, for instance)...

• The Lester with the P-90s he used in Omaha was replaced last night by Tom Wittrock's '59 burst, which sounded fantastic. I can see why Joe wanted to borrow it...   wink

• The V was also given the night off, as Joe played "Just Got Paid" on Patty's JB Goldtop.  The audience stood throughout...well, I tried to stand throughout, but I tweaked my back just a bit standing up at the conclusion of "Mountain Time," and I needed to sit down for a bit during the middle section of JGP.  I wasn't about to miss it all, though, and I managed to get back on my feet for most of the tune, albeit with a bit of wobbling and leaning (hey, I'm old, okay?  wink ).  I'm sure she was thrilled, and I think the rest of us were thrilled for her as well...

Oh, one more thing:You won't hear about it on CNN or anything, but Joe announced his candidacy for President last night.  His platform?  "Shut Up and Play," which he did to a fare-thee-well!  big_smile

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

Re: Des Moines, 5/3/12

Great review, coach - can count the hours now until the Indy show and love the preview!!!

kestrou

Thanks Coach. I know the post show stun smile It's hard to put into words how you feel after a show. Again, because it was "Patty's House", there was extra energy last night. I'll wait, patiently, for the others to come back down to Earth. smile Cathy

Jane H. wrote:

Patty for VP!!!!!!! big_smile
speech! speech!

Hey, if she decides to run, I'd be happy to help her draft her speech...I'm a speech teacher, after all!  wink

P.S. One thing I forgot to mention earlier: I got my tickets to both Omaha and Des Moines via litho purchases, and apparently the venues have quite a bit of say over what tickets are provided.  In Omaha, I got nosebleed balcony seats; in Des Moines, I got fourth-row center!  I honestly think the latter was a karma deal, since I had passed along the Meet & Greet passes for Des Moines that I wasn't going to be able to use (couldn't get off work early enough) to a friend of Patty's.  That's the upside of paying things forward, folks...

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

Coach305 wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

speech! speech!

Hey, if she decides to run, I'd be happy to help her draft her speech...I'm a speech teacher, after all!  wink

P.S. One thing I forgot to mention earlier: I got my tickets to both Omaha and Des Moines via litho purchases, and apparently the venues have quite a bit of say over what tickets are provided.  In Omaha, I got nosebleed balcony seats; in Des Moines, I got fourth-row center!  I honestly think the latter was a karma deal, since I had passed along the Meet & Greet passes for Des Moines that I wasn't going to be able to use (couldn't get off work early enough) to a friend of Patty's.  That's the upside of paying things forward, folks...

Well done Coach!  I got two drum sticks from Tal at the Beverly Hills show, I gave one to a the stranger sitting next to me and one to Linda M.

WOW! Don't even know where to begin about the Des Moines show!  I can't tell you how wonderful it was to meet up with Forum friends and to put faces with names......one thing I know for sure, it feels like we have known each other forever. One of Joe's greatest talents,,,bringing people together from all walks of life!

What a mind blower....the distance traveled to come to Iowa of all places! Never in a million years would I have thought you all would have traveled here from such long distances!  Massachusetts, California, Michigan, Wisconsin,Minnesota, South Dakota, Illinois, Missouri, and Iowa!  What a statement to Joe Bonamassa!!!  Iowa kind of has a similar ring to it as "BonaWho?".."Iowa?? Not sure where it's at?? Did you mean Idaho?  Potatoes?  Oh yeah the corny state!" lol

Loved every minute of being with everyone and it was simply out of this world!   I just about worried myself into a breakdown before everyone got here, trying to figure out the logistics on getting everyone together.....I think I had everything but the kitchen sink in my purse....a huge thank you to xcorporate (Kelly) for making the seats together a reality...everyone missed sad  not getting to meet up with you , next time, talk about paying it forward....I think he may have written the bestseller on it! wink

The M&G was huge and I don't know how Joe does it, show after show.  It was fun to stand back and watch him oogle the guitars.  Nic's "Goldie"  was absolutely topnotch!  Beautiful guitar and  attention to detail...loved the pinup girl on front and Joe stickers on back of it!  And she sounds great, too!  Joe must have had deja-vu looking at it!  Many thanks Coach for giving your M&G to Duane & Lee.  Duane's first time to see Joe and Joe was definitely eyeing Duane's guitar before he got up there.....a 1966?   ? with Bigsby...maybe Coach or Lee can fill in what it was? Caught Joe's guitar techs eye, too!

The Civic Center!!  I have never been prouder to work in such a great place!  I heard many compliments of the staff!!  I do have the honor of working with a great bunch of people whose sole goal is for the patrons to have the most pleasant experience possible.  I thought it was a perfect show.  The stage is huge and it was picture perfect with lighting, etc.....there are some really beautiful moments on stage with the lighting effects.......kudos to Joe's crew for perfection!!  Also, the sound was spot on perfect! I could hear everyone playing and all very balanced....and Joe's vocals were just right, very clear!  I did not hear anything but perfection...kudos to Joe's crew again!  It all looked and sounded just like the dream I had in my head.

Joe looked very handsome and received a thunderous applause and standing ovation when he came on! Many concurred that they had never been to a Joe show where it was that loud and long from the git-go.  Great play-time
between Joe & Tal........they are so much fun to watch together....I think the twinkle in Tal's eyes could be seen clear to the very back row....Carmine, so smooth, so hip, so rhythmic.....Rick, master of the black of white...gluing everything together for such a big sound,love watching him play, had great view of him last night and thanks for setlist!

And I don't know how the crew around Joe does it?  They are always busy and on the go!  Clancy does an unbelievable job of keeping track of everything....he must have exceptional organizational skills.  To keep up with Joe's demanding schedule of shows, interviews, etc...must be  HUGE!  Thanks for all your hardwork Clancy!!!!    Bob, what the heck?  From the last two shows sales look phenomenal....what a huge job to keep track of all the inventory and assist in the M&G and who knows what else......when I got the cards to hand out before the show he apologized for being a hair late as he was trying to coordinate something South America! Holy Cow!  To all the stage crew and techs, you all must be super-human to set up and tear down over and over and over again, making it all happen for us the fans. Thanks so much!

Loved all the songs...Look Over Yonder Walls......as J-Lo would say on American Idol gives me "goosies"  Just something about it.....all songs were perfect and I'm not just saying that , it was all spot on!  And I totally don't understand how Joe can play like he does virtually non-stop.....night after night......I know in the earlier years Joe commented one time that his hands didn't quit hurting until it was time for the next show...don't know if he still experiences that or not...hope not ....so many notes played with so much fervor and flair!

And last but not least, so this doesn't turn into a novel.....

Joe playing Just Got Paid on Child #184...WOW!WOW!WOW!  We joked back and forth thru Nic, the stage mgr. at Civic Center, about letting lil' Joe have it on stage.........well,  no mercy was granted to lil' Joe  unbelievable Joe and I swear to the Guitar Gods above that lil' Joe was vibrating in the case afterwards.............and curious about the strings put on ...plain silver package with handwritten on it  "PROTO X      BONAMASSA"  ???      So much other coolness in that case with guitar, thanks Joe wink

Joe Bonamassa, thank you so much for playing at the Civic Center!  I hope you loved playing there and will want to come back in the near future!   Des Moines was absolutely bonkers over you!!!!

And I do believe, in my heart, that you could win the presidency!  Bill S. must have had a premonition with his "VOTE JOE" avatar!!  wink

As always, Joe Bonamassa, World's Greatest Guitarist, Vocalist, and All Around Great Guy...such an honor to know you!
   And the only way I know I can repay you is to keep telling the world about you...luv u

pattyluvsjoe    cool

P.S.  Coach, I am not very eloquent with words so I'm sure I'd be a problem student.... lol

Sandy,Rhonda,Rick&Helen,Bill S & Jane,Dan &Susan, Kurt & Deb, Lee & Renee, Suzie & Wade, Nic, Jon & Penny, Roy, Dave & Jo & gang, Coach, Duane, James, Brian, Amber, Christine,Rex and Vaughan  big love to all of you ♥♥♥ 

P.S.  If you ever want to hear a fun Joe gig of" Old Joe" songs,  Nic is your man.  He can play all your favorites...got to hear "You Upset Me Baby"  "Had To Cry Today" "Miss You Hate You" to name a few and got to hear Mountain Time again.  Nic, you ROCK!!!

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

I'm so excited for the Springfield, IL show!

Coach did you manage to get your guitar signed this time around?

pattyluvsjoe wrote:

Many thanks Coach for giving your M&G to Duane & Lee.  Duane's first time to see Joe and Joe was definitely eyeing Duane's guitar before he got up there.....a 1966?   ? with Bigsby...maybe Coach or Lee can fill in what it was? Caught Joe's guitar techs eye, too!

I was happy to do it, and grateful that you helped make it happen.  I was sort of hoping it would be a first-time experience...you only ever get one of those, eh?  wink

Loved all the songs...Look Over Yonder Walls......as J-Lo would say on American Idol gives me "goosies"  Just something about it...

Yup.  Becoming one of my favorites, too...

P.S.  Coach, I am not very eloquent with words so I'm sure I'd be a problem student.... lol

Not at all!  The Swiss philospher Henri-Frédéric Amiel once observed that "Truth is the secret of eloquence..." (an insight I often share with my Creative Writing classes).  You always say what's on your mind, that's why I always look forward to your posts.  I had a blast last night, in no small part because of how much I knew you were enjoying the show.  Thanks a million for helping bring Joe and the guys to the Civic Center!

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

Coach305 wrote:

Not at all!  The Swiss philospher Henri-Frédéric Amiel once observed that "Truth is the secret of eloquence..."

Biting my proverbial tongue to avoid a political comment!

What a great night seeing close friends again and getting to meet other Bonabuds I hadn't met before. The show was great, but one song stood out "head and shoulders" above the rest:
Joes updated version of "Look Over Yonder Wall" absolutely blew me away! A slowed down, bluesy vibe that really grabbed me. Well done Joe, I love, love, love this version!!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Come on! A huge block of you were there, an obvious really grand show night, so let's hear some encore reviews from you guys!

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Yeah, and we need some film clips too....did anyone manage to grab this highly touted version of 'Yonder's wall? Really curious now how Joe's morphed this one.....

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Coach305 wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

speech! speech!

Thanks so much for the update . I will be at the show on Joe's Birthday May 8th .  I have been trying to get a meet and greet to have Joe sign my Bonamassa Gold Top. How were you able to get yours ? Was it part of the Buying the Litho/

Amsterhammer wrote:

Yeah, and we need some film clips too....did anyone manage to grab this highly touted version of 'Yonder's wall? Really curious now how Joe's morphed this one.....

Yes, I got it, but haven't had time to convert and upload.

I think there is probably some "Joe Jet Lag" going on.... lol  we stayed up way,way,way late after the show and then some up for early flights home, some are still here in Iowa, may take a little while on this one..............stayed up too late again last night with Lee & Renee watching the show again via their camera thru the tv....Roy & Nic & Amber & Christine were on a pub crawl......Sandy, Rick & Helen jettisoned back to their homes on virtually no sleep....Rhonda totally running on fumes back to Missouri, she's been on the Joe Train from show to show to show......I have a few pics but my camera isn't the greatest but I will try and post....I always think I am going to take more pics and I get too caught up in the excitement of everything and toss the camera in my bag, especially being surrounded by people who have really nice cameras...  p.l.j.

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

16 (edited by RickB 2012-05-05 09:04:10)

The Row of Glow, squeals of glee,  and opening three songs. Shakey camera work, my mind was on the killer music assault. Here is my contribution for starters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhKGuwWgY2A Slow Train, Last Kiss, Midnight Blues. 23 minutes of nonstop goodness!!!! More to come.
Rick
edit" JOEJETLAG!!! lol yeah, we got it too! Rolled in yesterday eve, started the laundry, watched RAH, then set this vid to upload.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Amsterhammer wrote:

I sure hope so! Roy was next to me videotaping but after the 3rd song he shut the camera off and said he wanted just sit and enjoy the show. Hopefully somebody else captured it.
In case I didn't make it clear, I LOVED this song, lol.

BTW, I'm posting via my phone. I'll provide a review of the festivities a little later today.
If I'm really ambitious, I'll get some photos up.