1 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-11-03 11:01:55)

Topic: The Mentulls

About this time last year, on another board, far, far away, I made a prediction that 2011 was going to be a huge year for Virgil & The Accelerators, and my crystal ball wasn't far off the mark. To be fair though, like our host here, the lads had put in a lot of hard graft and deserve the plaudits they're getting.

Anywho - my 2012 gig account has finally opened and a young band who caught my eye last year are already jumping in the crosshairs and I'd be remiss not to drop their name even though a couple of folks already know them, and I think, share my enthusiasm for The Mentulls.

I thought it used to be a sign of getting old when ploicemen looked like schools kids, but I think it's a great sign when guitar heroes ARE school kids. Andrew Pipe, the focus of the band isn't turned 16 and last Friday I watched him go toe-to-toe with Mitch Laddie during a funky cover of Standing On Shaky Ground and Hendrix's Foxy Lady. Previously I've seen Andrew sit in with Sherman Robertson, Ian Parker, Oli Brown, Chantel McGregor and some serious jams with Virgil McMahon. Don't for one minute think of this lad as having "novelty value" for bands to have him sit in - he's a serious contender!

Jamie Pipe augments the band's sound on keyboards; though he's the older brother, he's content to let Andrew take the lead, but don't be fooled, he's just as adept on those keys, giving full backing. Finally, the whole thing is held together by some cool and deft drumming from 16y old Nick Colman. No wonder Andrew can fly with 2 such good pairs of hands behind him. The whole sound walks that line between the late 60s Blues and late 60s prog but they have the ethic and professionalism of 21st centruy Joe B. Hell, they've even been writing their own material for a couple of years.

Don't believe me? Well, until Andrew finishes school, they do tend to be tied round "home-ground", Teesside, but here's a few upcoming gigs, home and away, so you can see the calibre of the attention they are attracting. If you're fans of the main band, take time from the bar and check the lads out; you won't regret it.

24th March - Ripley Blues, Harrogate (Opening for Aynsley Lister)
14th April - Guisborough RnB (Opening for Larry Miller)
28th April - Camerons Club, Hartlepool (Double header with Glossop's guitar prodigy Alex McKown)
15th July - Clowne Rock & Blues Club, nr Chesterfield
20th July - Harrogate Blues Bar
28th July - Maryport Blues Festival (on the Trail)
30th September - Cameron's Club, Hartlepool (Opening for Dr Feelgood)
19th October - The Jam House, Edinburgh (Opening for Wishbone Ash - don't know which one...)

I don't think they'll get the acclaim VATA have by the end of 2012, but the talent is there, the commitment is there, so let's give them some support to help them on their way...

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: The Mentulls

BansheeUK wrote:

19th October - The Jam House, Edinburgh (Opening for Wishbone Ash - don't know which one...)

Mike

I'll give you a clue Mike, its not the Martin Turner version.................

Kenny

Thanks for your kind comments Mike.

2 more dates to add:
Friday 6th July - Live radio session on Friday night blues show on Trent FM, Nottingham
Saturday 7th July - The 76 Club, Burtin On Trent, supporting The Jon Amor Blues Group

KP

Just say it as I see it. Great to see three really talented, young lads getting out there and playing their socks off.

Have some friends going down to Ripley to catch you guys with a Aynsley: speaking of whom, if he's at home maybe he'll tune in for your Nottingham radio appearance.

I'll catch you on the road (playing) in April, if not sooner as punters.

Mike

Here are the latest gigs for The Mentulls:

24th March - Ripley Blues, Harrogate (supporting Aynsley Lister Band)
14th April - Guisborough RnB Club(supporting Larry Miller Band)
21st April - The Station, Swinton (Nr. Sheffield)
28th April - The Camerons Club, Hartlepool (Double header with Glossop's guitar prodigy Alex McKown)
6th July - Live Radio Session - Friday Night Blues Trent FM (Nottingham)
7th July - The 76 Club, Burton On Trent (supporting The Jon Amor Blues Group
15th July - Clowne Rock & Blues Club, nr Chesterfield
20th July - Harrogate Blues Bar
28th July - Maryport Blues Festival (on the Trail)
30th September - The Cameron's Club, Hartlepool (supporting Dr Feelgood)
14th October - The Robin 2, Wolverhampton (supporting Wishbone Ash)
19th October - The Jam House, Edinburgh (supporting Wishbone Ash)

Please come down and support this great young band - "blues rock is in good hands"

I hear that Andrew has been invited along tomorrow night to sit in with WT Feaster Band in Hartlepool tomorrow night - should be good....

Mike

A couple of videos from The Mentulls gig at Ripley Town Hall on 24th March 2012..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhR49W9LUQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbi0niEc … ure=relmfu

Gigs for the next few weeks.................
Saturday 14th April (supporting Larry Miller) - Guisborough R & B Club
Saturday 21st April - The Station, Swinton (Nr. Sheffield)
Saturday 28th April - The Camerons Club, Hartlepool (Double Header with Alex McKown Band)
Sunday 6th May - tbc

"The future of blues rock is in good hands"...............

The Mentulls wrote:

A couple of videos from The Mentulls gig at Ripley Town Hall on 24th March 2012..........

Saturday 28th April - The Camerons Club, Hartlepool (Double Header with Alex McKown Band)
Sunday 6th May - tbc

Great band - get yourselves to see em.

Shame that Camerons Club clashes with a gig at Sedgefield though!!

Dave82775 wrote:
The Mentulls wrote:

Sunday 6th May - tbc

Great band - get yourselves to see em.

Shame that Camerons Club clashes with a gig at Sedgefield though!!

It was a really good gig at Ripley; shame a jam with Aynsley Lister didn't happen - hopefully next time. Had a chat with Andrew after the show; he was full of admiration for Aysnley and said he still has a lot to learn. I don't know about "a lot", but still wanting to learn is the same attitude Virgil McMahon has, and is a great attitude to have. Already looking forward to the gig with Larry Miller at Guisborough.

Dave: gig clashes - don't get me started.... I already know about the Hartlepool/Sedgefield one (Mentulls or Danny Bryant). There's another one I've got to worry about, Hartlepool/Mainsforth (Eric Steckel v Virgil & The Accelerators).

Mike

we had The Mentulls on at last years Hebden Bridge Blues Festival, Went down a storm

BansheeUK wrote:

There's another one I've got to worry about, Hartlepool/Mainsforth (Eric Steckel v Virgil & The Accelerators).

Mike

Ah bugger Mike - got me worried now. Hadn't noticed that one!

Dave82775 wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

There's another one I've got to worry about, Hartlepool/Mainsforth (Eric Steckel v Virgil & The Accelerators).

Mike

Ah bugger Mike - got me worried now. Hadn't noticed that one!

You guys should be thankful you have a choice to make, we hardly get anything up here in NE Scotland!!

Sorry Murray; I know there's a couple of guys working trying to get these bands up to you, so hang on in there. The situation round here is that there are several venues in a small area and they are starting to tread on each other's gigs and when there's this many really good bands going round, sometimes "no choice" would be the easy option.

Mike

Mmm scotland, well all I can say is that I was asked to increase our exposure in Scotland, so we did a series of hi profile support slots at our own expense (not complaining, it was great fun and a great experience). impressed the **## out of anyone who saw us and increased our mailing list in scotland dramaticly. Passed all this on to said promotor and heard bugger all back. We have been promised gigs by others and noone has come through. I have certainly tried my side but its wearing a little thin. I would book my own gigs up there but its too far to handle promotion properly. There is one lady who desperate to get us up there but she only has access to some small pub venues, for which we are too powerful. She is trying hard though.

BansheeUK wrote:

Sorry Murray; I know there's a couple of guys working trying to get these bands up to you, so hang on in there. The situation round here is that there are several venues in a small area and they are starting to tread on each other's gigs and when there's this many really good bands going round, sometimes "no choice" would be the easy option.

Mike

Cheers, Mike. I hope my post didn't come across as an angry rant, it certainly wasn't meant that way. I've noticed on Facebook that Duncan is trying to get Ryan McGarvey up to Edinburgh, hopefully that'll come off and I can make it.
Most of the gigs in Scotland are in Glasgow or Edinburgh which are about 2.5/3 hours travel from where I live. So it can get a bit expensive by the time you add up petrol/train & hotel costs which means picking and choosing which gigs to go to. Having said that I still go to quite a lot!!

BTW I'm going to Durham Blues Festival on 23rd June, I'll maybe see you there.

mbcl wrote:

Mmm scotland, well all I can say is that I was asked to increase our exposure in Scotland, so we did a series of hi profile support slots at our own expense (not complaining, it was great fun and a great experience). impressed the **## out of anyone who saw us and increased our mailing list in scotland dramaticly. Passed all this on to said promotor and heard bugger all back. We have been promised gigs by others and noone has come through. I have certainly tried my side but its wearing a little thin. I would book my own gigs up there but its too far to handle promotion properly. There is one lady who desperate to get us up there but she only has access to some small pub venues, for which we are too powerful. She is trying hard though.

Hopefully something will happen up here for you. I saw VATA at Leamington Spa supporting Southside Johnny, I spoke to Virgil and I think you as well after the gig. I had tickets for the Kinross gig which was cancelled. Can't wait to see them again!!

17 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-04-03 09:25:31)

Murray1903 wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Mike

Cheers, Mike. I hope my post didn't come across as an angry rant, it certainly wasn't meant that way. I've noticed on Facebook that Duncan is trying to get Ryan McGarvey up to Edinburgh, hopefully that'll come off and I can make it.
Most of the gigs in Scotland are in Glasgow or Edinburgh which are about 2.5/3 hours travel from where I live. So it can get a bit expensive by the time you add up petrol/train & hotel costs which means picking and choosing which gigs to go to. Having said that I still go to quite a lot!!

BTW I'm going to Durham Blues Festival on 23rd June, I'll maybe see you there.

No worries - I used to get just as frustrated when bands seemed to bypass this area or not get up as far as London (KWS - I'm talkin' to you....). Now, as well as crackin' local bands like The Mentulls, we've several lively small venues in a small area, so these clashes are getting more frequent: think they need to get together and sort something between them. I know Duncan is working hard to get Ryan McGarvey up into Scotland and I think Bluesmoose will be keen to get Eric Steckel up there too as a package maybe. Mind, you could give Gerry Jablonski a kick down to these parts.....

I'll be at the Durham Blues Fest on the 23rd June also, so I'll give you a shout nearer the time and maybe we'll meet up and have a good whinge, then enjoy some great bands.

Mike

I'll be at the Durham Blues Fest on the 23rd June also, so I'll give you a shout nearer the time and maybe we'll meet up and have a good whinge, then enjoy some great bands.

Well I'll be there too - so include me in the shout too!!