Re: Poor Man's Joe Bonamassa Rig

a Tiny Terror won't give you a Marshall type tone. You're much better off with a Blackheart Handsome Devil for that purpose... As far as the Dumble tone from a 20 watt amp, you might want to try a Koch Studio Tone. Not quite the same but at least you'll get a freakishly great clean tone from a small amp.

Chris Martins wrote:

a Tiny Terror won't give you a Marshall type tone. You're much better off with a Blackheart Handsome Devil for that purpose... As far as the Dumble tone from a 20 watt amp, you might want to try a Koch Studio Tone. Not quite the same but at least you'll get a freakishly great clean tone from a small amp.

Ok Chris, your suggestion is really appreciated. The Koch studio tone is a amazing amp. Do you know another cheaper options for Dumblesque sound?

93 (edited by Chris Martins 2010-02-09 20:57:09)

How about an Egnater Rebel 20 ? It's supposed to have a great overall tone so the clean tone should be very good.

mhh... For this price I prefer Kock, i don't know how much cost in USA, but in Italy Kock and Egnater cost 700-800 €, about 1000 $. The Blackheart is perfect for a Poor Man JB Rig because cost only 300 €...

You are very gentle. smile

I don't really know about the USA either... I'm French...  big_smile The rebel is about 550€ though... A bit on the expensive side but not over the top.

Chris Martins wrote:

I'm French...  big_smile The rebel is about 550€ though... A bit on the expensive side but not over the top.

big_smile:D:D:D

In Italy cost 800 € new... mad

Did someone tried Epi Valve Senior? I didn't have a chance to try it...I hope I will... because where I live, we dont have so many small amp choices, especially cheap.... Blues junior, Epi Valve Senior and Vox AC15, Laney LC15 etc...:|

My rig is now almost complete:

http://picasaweb.google.com/micabelk/20 … 6940578082

The only missing pedal is the ABY box to be able to morph the vox and the egnater and see if it gets better to my ear... not sure because i love the egnater on his own... and i play home smile

JBLP #214 very proud owner smile

stratpaulguy86 wrote:
twistingcrow wrote:
twistingcrow wrote:

I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever tried this poor man's joe rig:

- Tiny Terror Head (or Dual Terror if it's as good as its little brother...)
- Peavey Classic 30 head (I'm guessing maybe a Dual Terror would then be a better match with the Peavey since the'd both be 30 watts... what do you think, I'm a bit scared that the TT may get drowned in the mix?)

I had a Peavey C30 combo before my JTM45 head and I remember it had really nice cleans along with a nice reverb.

So I would load both amps with a Voodoo Lab Amp Selector into my 2X12 cab loaded with 2 EV's... Do you think it would sound any good? Also, just a practical question: my cab has only one output and the speakers are connected in parallel to put out 8 ohms (they're 16 ohms each) so what do I need to buy to be able to connect both amps?
Thanks! big_smile

Hey guys!
Now I have the option of getting a nice Silverface Super Reverb from 1974 (non master volume). Would you spring for the Tiny Terror/Classic 30 double amp set-up or would get the Super Reverb? I'm a little scared that the Super may be way too loud for small clubs (50 to 150 audience) even though I have a plexi shield and besides I really don't have a clue about what the TT/C30 thing will sound like. I need your help here, what do you guys think?
Thanks!

If it were me I wouldn't even hesitate.  I've played the Tiny Terror and Classic 30 a bunch of times and they do not compare to the wonderful sound of my old '68 Super.  The Super is going to be PTP wired, likely very reliable (due to high quality components and materials), has some of the best sounding reverb on the planet, and is totally an iconic amp.  If you check my Youtube videos on my "Stop" demonstrations the amp was on about 3 which is very clean.  All of the overdrive was coming from my Fulltone Fulldrive 2.  It takes pedals incredibly well and still gives you that wonderful clean.  Not to mention, when cranked, it offers up some of the juciest overdrive I've ever heard.  The ONLY drawback is that it's on the heavy side, but that's what casters are for!

I have to say, that some of the most consistent, best live tones I've heard have been coming out of Fender Super Reverbs. In clubs, concerts, festivals, whenever someone has a Super and a few pedals on stage it's a no brainer.  Back Door Slam (before Budda, had zvex box of rocks and a super, killer tone), Eric Lindell, Derek Trucks etc.... Kenny Wayne Shepherd had a pair of Vibroverbs that just killed.

100 (edited by ModTourMan 2010-02-14 20:17:14)

This is an old thread but here's my take.  This low/mid volume set up works well in a home / studio location...can't say if it would work well mic'd during a gig.

Gibson Les Paul Historic (2001 R8) > Zvex Box of Rock (any Marshall style distortion will do) > Maxon AD-999 analog delay with stereo outs > dry signal to a THD Univalve (KT-66 power tube) driving a THD 2 X 12 cabinet, wet signal to a Silverface Fender Champ set as clean as possible.

The Box of Rock has a separate boost which adds to the versatility of this set up especially when I use my Stratocaster.  I also stack a Tube Screamer in front of the Box of Rock which I use for that classic screamer tone.
I only get Marshall and Fender tones with this set up (the THD
can get some Vox-like tones too!).  I have been toying with the idea of adding a Dumble style pedal to the mix but my pedal board is way too big already!

I'd prefer to use multiple amp heads into a single cabinet but I'm stuck playing lower volumes only these days.  I've tried attenuators and sims in the distant past but I've found that pedals work the best at lower volumes. If the dry amp is set to a warm "just before breakup" setting the pedals sound excellent and I can get nice sweet sounding cleans by simply lowering the guitars volume knobs.

Russ B.

Joe has a lot of great tones!
But he has a lot of great guitars that plays through that great set up.
We all have our favorites out of his many styles and tones.

I don't believe you can or should capture them all.
Your favorite tone would have to reference when and where he played what.
There is no "Bonamassa Tone"
I am in love with the tones he opened with in the Royal Albert Hall concert.
"Ballot of John Henry", "So it's like that", and my personal favorite "Last Kiss"
I found this tone in my existing rig playing a 78 LP
Mesa Dyna-Watt 20/20
Mesa Tri-axis pre
Marshall 2x12 Stereo closed back
Line 6 for delay/reverb
CryBaby and my creme de la creme,...
Aphex Guitar exciter

The nice part is I don't have to look out for eviction notices.
Thank you Joe for inspiring me to find,
MY TONE

My take on it:

Gibson LP Studio or Les Paul Skylark replica, into either a Phaez Sibly or a Jet City 20H. These are both EL (mumble) 4 amps so I want to add a 6L6 or 6V6 type amp; possible the Ceriatone HRM Bluesmaster, but it won't be for quite a while.
In the meanwhile I get clean tones from a Fender SCXD, or a Champ 600 for a different flavour of overdrive.

Cab-wise I like the Jet City brand, I currently use a 112 for the Sibly and Jet City. I haven't decided yet whether I will run 2 212's, so at the end of the rig, one amp goes to one speaker. The other alternative is to run the Sibly and JCA into a 112 with a headswitcher and another 112 for whatever amp I choose to add.

Pedals are the Way Huge Pork Loin, DD3, and a Digitech Bad Monkey. Looking to add a wah, chorus and reverb.

103 (edited by Lespaulnmarshall 2012-03-01 04:21:06)

Cool thread!! Here's my poor man't joe rig.

Les Paul, tele or es-339 into a vox wah, keeley fuzz head, maxon od-9, way huge pork loin, red witch trem, script phase 90 big shot efx used as an ABY. Both reverb and delay are in the loop of my Mesa booie MK III. I have an FX switcher  a DD-3 and a TC G-major in the loop of the MK III, the DD-3 is in one of the fx switchers loops, I use the other loops to switch settings on the MK III. The other side of my rig is a 1987x or a 2204 (depending on what I want that particular day). The marshall goes into a 4X12 greenback cab. The boogie goes into a 2x12 with ev12L's. Sometimes I run both amps into the 2x12.

The mark III has some great american dumble tone on the clean and lead channel (with the rhythm 2) off. The Marshalls are for the british side of the setup. The 2204 has some mods, because it was too bright for my taste. It's a bit darker now and it can do a great joe (jubilee) tone with a boost in front. If I want a 'not so bonamassa like tone' I use my 1987x instead of my 2204. Sometimes I also use a bluesbreaker instead of the mesa boogie.

Um... Guitar -> Axe-FX -> Verve 8ma ...

big_smile

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Devan wrote:

Um... Guitar -> Axe-FX -> Verve 8ma ...

big_smile

As I sit here reading thru this great thread, I was wondering where modeling would fall into this. There have been alot of modeling technology improvements over the past few years from where this topic got started in 2009. In my way of thinking a Poor Mans JB rig shouldnt be $5000+....$500-$1000 yeah okay, maybe even as high as 2 grand. There are a lot of modeling possibilities in that price range. And im thinking for home use more than gigging. The Axe-FX or Kemper are towards the higher priced end of modeling, but there are certainly many cheaper options that work well also.

My poor mans rig consists of my Epi JBLP and a MustangIII amp. Liquid solo setting with both guitar volumes rolled back to 4-5 and its a touch sensitive little monster sound.

wwit wrote:

In my way of thinking a Poor Mans JB rig shouldn't be $5000+....$500-$1000 yeah okay, maybe even as high as 2 grand.

Indeed. "Rich" and "poor" are, of course, relative terms.  As a strictly amateur/hobbyist player, there wouldn't be much point in my chasing Joe's sound with big bucks, since the essence of that sound has nothing to do with gear...

My poor mans rig consists of my Epi JBLP and a MustangIII amp. Liquid solo setting with both guitar volumes rolled back to 4-5 and its a touch sensitive little monster sound.

I've been able to make some interesting Bonamassa-esque noises with my Epi JBLP and Vox VT-20+.  I've got quite a few of the same pedals Joe uses, too, but putting together a two-amp rig in my price range is still a ways down the road.  In the meantime, I mostly work on trying to get good enough to deserve the gear I have...   wink

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

I have an Epi JB Model and a Marshall Class 5 amp. It gets close.  In our Worship band I use a Digetech RP150 with an amp setting of a Marshall Plexi, a tube screamer and some delay.  It gets even a little closer!

adamym wrote:

I have an Epi JB Model and a Marshall Class 5 amp. It gets close.

I also have a Class 5, and it does have some pretty mighty tone for such a little guy.  My Vox gets more use because it is a bit of a struggle to get out the pedal board and run it through the Class 5 (which isn't fond of all the pedals on the board anyway).  At my age, and with so little spare time, convenience often trumps my quest for tone...   big_smile

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO