Topic: You couldn't make it up

Rolling Stone.  roll  Again  roll

Yup, they got a whole bunch of well known and lesser known guitarists to come up with a list of 100 greatest guitarists. Yup, no Joe.  roll

Now, we here might want or expect Joe to be higher up that list than others, but hey, not even in the top 100? Incredible. Outrageous. Laughable

See it and weep here - http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists … s-20111123

I think I'll drop them a mail.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Re: You couldn't make it up

Amsterhammer wrote:

Rolling Stone.  roll  Again  roll

Yup, they got a whole bunch of well known and lesser known guitarists to come up with a list of 100 greatest guitarists. Yup, no Joe.  roll

Now, we here might want or expect Joe to be higher up that list than others, but hey, not even in the top 100? Incredible. Outrageous. Laughable

See it and weep here - http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists … s-20111123

I think I'll drop them a mail.

Obviously none of them have ever seen Joe perform live. Maybe we should pay for a ticket for one of the "Rolling Stoners" to see him in concert. THEN word would get around...

I perused the list this morning. Posted a couple of thoughts in "Other Artists".

Why don't we eliminate all the warning labels and let things sort themselves out?

That rag hasn't been good enough to use for toilet paper since about 1982.

Why would you expect that rag to recognize great guitar playing. They can't even pick good music. They're just all about fads and trends.

Funny they can't recognize the coolest dude since Eric Clapton when he arrives.

JBLP (aged) 293, JBLP STD, JB ES-335, JBLP Studio, JBLP Goldtop Epi, JBLP Inverness Green Epi.

What kind of a sensible human, with a grasp of the real world, reads Rolling Stone? There's more important things happening than Lady Ga Ga's latest hairstyle, and what the Jonas Brothers are doing now. Wouldn't even use it as camp fire fuel, for fear I may get high off the hippie fumes...

Generation Kill has a good few, real quotes bashing the crap out of Rolling Stone. Check it out if you like a good laugh at an out of date and purpose magazine.

We all know is worthy of a place inside the top 100 of anyone's list. The good thing is, he isn't making and breaking his career based on the editor of Rolling Stone putting him in his list.

wharris wrote:

That's what he said...and I agree 110%. They care about - Bieber's hair and Gaga's meat. Everything else is passe.... mad  mad Bonfire time is near...... big_smile  big_smile

100% Certified 'Bona-Nut'

I was looking at the list with my son earlier today, it's amazing all the people that were completely left out - Joe of course, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Steve Lukather, Eric Gales, Zac Wylde, Dean Park, John Petrucci, Joe Satriani.....ad nauseum, the list of not list goes on. It was very entertaining though, we laughed until my side hurt.

Tres

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

wharri wrote:

+ 1,000,000
big_smile  yikes  roll

Think this blog sums it up nicely for most of us here.

http://www.straight.com/article-546561/ … s-all-time

bonawho59 wrote:

Think this blog sums it up nicely for most of us here.

http://www.straight.com/article-546561/ … s-all-time

Agreed! Anyway, what are the likes of Lou Reed and John Lennon doing on any 'greatest guitarist' list? And putting Rory down at #57 is, well, just as offensive as ignoring Joe completely.

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

that's a pretty good list of voters George, how did they manage to get some of it so wrong? Perhaps there are a few too many younguns that voted. Really, Rory way down the list but Keith Richards in the top ten? Keith does need to be on the list, and again it's totally subjective, however he would not make my top 30 whereas Mick Taylor would.

Tres

Rolling Stone Magazine?????   Never heard of it...   wink

I have figured out why Joe gets no press...he's avoided scandals!!! One good picture with a pregnant starlet and the fire could be set! We've gone about this all wrong.  Anything with Lady Gaga could get him a cover!!!  Cathy

cathysiler wrote:

I have figured out why Joe gets no press...he's avoided scandals!!! One good picture with a pregnant starlet and the fire could be set! We've gone about this all wrong.  Anything with Lady Gaga could get him a cover!!!  Cathy

Would never want to see him go down that road. It's simple, Joe doesn't get the nod because a major label doesn't own him like so many that get hyped by Rolling Stone. The guitar mags know who's who in the guitar world and they pay plenty of notice to him. Joe's his own boss and that's a good thing.

Think Green,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

16 (edited by ahsmith33 2011-11-27 15:14:44)

cathysiler wrote:

that's a terrible way to look at it Cathy, but I know it's tongue in cheek. smile What if we went for something a little less "over the top". Like next time he's flying out to somewheres overseas, hide some unfinished Indian rosewood in his luggage. roll

sorry to continue off topic, I don't have another guitarist to nominate.

Tres

unless I missed him Warren Haynes is not even in there, - and I think he was #26 last time they did one of these lists. And where is Albert Lee?

Please don't shoot me down guys but the way I read a lot of the names on that list is that they were/are influencers rather than brilliant technical guitarists, - not saying that Joe is not an influencer or not capable of being but I think that he such a current blues/rock guitarist it is too early for people to look at his name with any sympathy, - and some of those names do look to have a sympathy vote.

The likes of Johnny Ramone, Keith Richards, Neil and Angus Young correct me if I am wrong but the way that they play/played was very simple but they make/made some great songs, - hence they have all claimed an important stake in rock history

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

18 (edited by BluesMan 2011-11-27 15:47:49)

I'm sure this bugs Joe just a little because, he has mentioned it before. But you know what? Who needs these butt-heads? Joe's always been his own guy and has never kissed anyone's behind. Yet look at where he is right now at the still very young age of 34 years old. Is it wrong that they don't even mention Joe? Of course it is! But ultimately, you can't make everyone like you in a world that has haters in it. roll

As a number of my Italian friends would say..."Forget about it..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf0ZyoUn7Vk cool 

Roy

Joe is the Best!