Topic: Cardiff Motorpoint Arena, Tuesday 18th October

Saw Joe at Cardiff yesterday evening...my first live experience of JB.....stunning show. First class showmanship and the band were super-tight (loving the new drummer!). To hear Joe on record is one thing, but to see that guitar playing live....is just beyond...it blew me away. I've been waiting to see Joe for years and to have my expectations soundly smashed like that was enough to put a lump in my throat...it couldn't have been better. Highlights for me - 'Midnight Blues' (such a moving tribute to Gary) and the finale 'Just Got Paid'...unreal.....inspiring to a young guitarist like myself smile

Thank you Joe for making my first live JB gig such an incredible experience...honestly....I will be seeing you again soon!!! smile

Peace James

'What's the use in gettin' sober......when you're gonna get drunk again' - Louis Jordan
Guitars - Gibson VOS R8 LP, Custom built Telecaster w/Bare Knuckle and Duncan pickups, 60's/70's Kay Tulip  (for slide)
Amps n ting -1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb, 1961 Gibson GA30 Invader, Fredric Effects Golden Eagle, Wampler Faux Analog Echo

Re: Cardiff Motorpoint Arena, Tuesday 18th October

James - did they open with Cradle Rock or The River?

3 (edited by Mandy and triggermala 2011-10-19 12:51:46)

Totally agree with everything said, stunning show in front of a 3,200 crowd who was very appreciative of joes brilliance, you would never have guessed joe had been suffering with flu. For the fans going to the rest of the gigs this week you are in for a real treat.
Here is the only video I took of last nights show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw_T1LH0jjg

Kenny - they opened with Cradle Rock smile was great to hear, it was one of my favourite early Joe tunes!

Indeed, you wouldn't have thought he was ill...although his reference to 'Beckhams' cold and flu drinks did make me chuckle... big_smile

'What's the use in gettin' sober......when you're gonna get drunk again' - Louis Jordan
Guitars - Gibson VOS R8 LP, Custom built Telecaster w/Bare Knuckle and Duncan pickups, 60's/70's Kay Tulip  (for slide)
Amps n ting -1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb, 1961 Gibson GA30 Invader, Fredric Effects Golden Eagle, Wampler Faux Analog Echo

I fully agree, the cardiff gig last night was my first JB gig. I took my 13 year old lad and we were totally blown away with his sound, much better than cd's.
my lad was over the moon with joe's guitar tech who gave him some of joe's plectrums before the show started. Many thanks....

Great first JB gig for me last night. The band were rockin' and Joe did a great show despite being ill. Didn't like the venue though.
Soulless arena... and please, what is it with the whistling and whooping from the crowd. Sorry but that just made me feel like I was watching one of those dodgy over-dubed youtube clips of Slash.

Cheers JB

7 (edited by gold2040 2011-10-19 13:42:44)

curlyscouse wrote:

Great first JB gig for me last night. The band were rockin' and Joe did a great show despite being ill. Didn't like the venue though.
Soulless arena... and please, what is it with the whistling and whooping from the crowd. Sorry but that just made me feel like I was watching one of those dodgy over-dubed youtube clips of Slash.

Cheers JB

I agree about the whistling, I mean fair enough, it's fine for 30 seconds or so but it just got obnoxious after a while. Didn't someone tell the people to be quiet, i forget

Fantastic gig however, my first time seeing Joe. Everything i expected and more

My first Joe show as well last night, what an experience!!! Easily the best gig I've ever been to, the whole band were just superb!

I agree with the comments about the whooping/whistling. It's acceptable enough in small measures, but there were people whistling during the opening of Sloe Gin, which is just disrespectful in my opinion.

Other than that, everything was just brilliant. Really encouraging to see so many youngsters there as well. I'm 17, but there were kids there about 10 years old, good to see the blues is still alive in the younger generation!  lol

What did everyone think about the support act? I wasn't fussed on his voice, but the overdubbing effects he had were very clever.

18th October 2011 - Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff

Thanks for the vid, it shows what we missed at Blackpool. Glad to see Joe back on great form. I agree, hate the US style whistling and whooping especially whilst he is playing smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

10 (edited by cathysiler 2011-10-20 21:37:46)

Thanks for the reviews. I love hearing from all ages and from Bonavirgins!! Joe is a very addicting "drug"!! Be ready for the slow burn of need for your next fix!  There's no cure so buckle up and enjoy the ride!   Cathy

And, BTW, I've seen Joe in England, Holland, Belgium and the States. No one country has the noisiest or rudist audience, that universal!!!

cathysiler wrote:

Thanks for the reviews. I love hearing from all ages and from Bonavirgins!! Joe is a very addicting "drug"!! Be ready for the slow burn of need for your next fix!  There's no cure so buckle up and enjoy the ride!   Cathy

And, BTW, I've seen Joe in England, Holland, Belgium and the States. No one country has the noisiest or rudist audience, that universal!!!

Absolutely right Cathy.....next fix is already sorted - Birmingham, 31st March 2012 smile

James Davis wrote:
cathysiler wrote:

Thanks for the reviews. I love hearing from all ages and from Bonavirgihttps://forum.jbonamassa.com/img/smilies/tongue.pngns!! Joe is a very addicting "drug"!! Be ready for the slow burn of need for your next fix!  There's no cure so buckle up and enjoy the ride!   Cathy

Absolutely right Cathy.....next fix is already sorted - Birmingham, 31st March 2012 smile

smile  The 5 months shakes start today!!!  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

Wait ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

5 months is too long..... lol

14 (edited by Rocket 2011-10-21 07:44:56)

James Davis wrote:

5 months is too long..... lol

Been two months, and two weeks to GO! is...too long!  lol

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Likewise the 5 month shakes starts for Sheffield. After the Blackpool disappointment, all the more stress is added mad

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

If anyone fancies writing a review of the Cardiff gig to go online with some of my photos (fully credited of course) please drop me a message

Thanks

Thanks for the video.  I've seen Joe many times over the past decade and he never disappoints.

Oasis.Guitar wrote:

Thanks for the video.  I've seen Joe many times over the past decade and he never disappoints.

Joe was just supurb in Cardiff - as someone already pointed out, Midnight Blues really stood out, as did Sloe Gin, Happier Times and the finale......this guy just doesn't disappoint!!