Topic: Any info on JB's detailed guitar setup?

Hello to everyone here,

It's my first post on this forum, a big JB fan from Sydney.

I'm looking for detailed setup specs for JB's Les Paul & Flying V. I've done some searches on this forum & all I found was that he uses Dean markley 11-52's, he top wraps & uses nut sauce.

Info I'm curious to know is: truss rod relief, high & low E height @ 12 th fret, high & low E clearance @ 1st fret.

And on his Les Paul what is the clearance from his tailpiece to the guitar?

Does he use 11-52's on his Flying V? You can't top wrap a Flying V to relieve string tension.

Maybe Joe's guitar tech is the only person who knows this info, but I'd thought I'll ask anyway.

Thanks in advance
Rob

Re: Any info on JB's detailed guitar setup?

I'm not sure if I have ever seen Joe's tech post here. It would be interesting to hear from him occasionally. Of course, with the number of guitars Joe has I would imagine his tech doesn't have much free time!

I almost forgot... WELCOME!

4 (edited by DougH 2011-10-01 13:06:43)

I watched an interview from him on YT the other day.

He said he sets the volume and tone at 6, so he can adjust those as for tone and distortion.

I wonder if he removes the 300k volume pots in his guitars and puts them back up to 500k the way Gibson used to make it before they changed to a 300k vol/ 500k tone pots.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

The tailpieces on JB's LPs are bottomed out against the studs / wood.

He reports that he runs a highish action but I have never seen specs.

I would say that his Les Paul stage guitars are probably all equipped with 500k pots and bb caps, and yes the bridge is bottomed out against the wood in order to top-wrap the strings.  As far as knob settings, they vary constantly throughout his playing.  But I did read somewhere about a technique he uses setting the distortion and volume levels on the amps a bit higher than needed, then backing off the Guitar's volume to smooth out the tone.  Then if you need a little push, just turn up the volume knob.

As far as string heights and measurements that could be anything.  I'm sure it's a bit high, all the good players know higher action is better and your fingers don't slip off the strings doing bends when the action is higher.  Some people use a ruler of sorts but his tech would be the only one to answer that one.  I just eyeball everything and listen to what sounds best.

Welcome, He doesn't use Dean Markley Strings. He uses Ernie Ball .11-.52

"Music Washes Away From The Soul, The Dust Of Everyday Life"

helrazr84 wrote:

I would say that his Les Paul stage guitars are probably all equipped with 500k pots and bb caps, and yes the bridge is bottomed out against the wood in order to top-wrap the strings. 

Some people use a ruler of sorts but his tech would be the only one to answer that one.  I just eyeball everything and listen to what sounds best.

Tailpiece not bridge - the bridge is set at a height appropriate for the action.

I've tried setting my action with feeler gauges but really it is down to feel in the end - I run higher action than my guitars can handle because it allows me to play better.  This is also the best part of top wrapping for me - it drops the tailpiece out of the way for my picking hand.

Thanks guys, yeah I assumed his tailpiece would be hard against his guitar.

We still need to know the truss rod relief, Joe mentioned it needs to be done correctly as it affects playability.

Also the action @ 12th fret, the 1st fret, and I forgot to ask about fret wire.

Thanks
Rob

Chrisuk wrote:
helrazr84 wrote:

I would say that his Les Paul stage guitars are probably all equipped with 500k pots and bb caps, and yes the bridge is bottomed out against the wood in order to top-wrap the strings. 

Some people use a ruler of sorts but his tech would be the only one to answer that one.  I just eyeball everything and listen to what sounds best.

Tailpiece not bridge - the bridge is set at a height appropriate for the action.

I've tried setting my action with feeler gauges but really it is down to feel in the end - I run higher action than my guitars can handle because it allows me to play better.  This is also the best part of top wrapping for me - it drops the tailpiece out of the way for my picking hand.

Oh sorry, thats what I meant!

And yeah, you can measure til you're blue in the face but it comes down to feel.  Agree.

I thought I would chim in and say Joe used Dean Markley strings about 4 years ago but changed like Roadshow said to Ernie Balls. 11-52's he also uses the same guage strings on his acoustics but I'm not sure of the brand string he uses on those.  The pots in his Signature Model's are vintage spec VOS 500k pots with Bumble Bee caps.  Gibson must have just started playing around with pots recently on standard models because Traditionals still have 500k's in volume and tone pots.  Oh and don't forget his nylon bridge saddles on the High E and B strings to mellow the tone out. 

Joe does the volume and tone at 6 and can adjust a little for more gain and bite as needed with the turn of the pot.  When you think about it Joes amps must have a pretty bright sound if he's backing the tone off half way to dial in his tone.  Just something to consider when you guys are setting your gear up.

Beez wrote:

Thanks guys, yeah I assumed his tailpiece would be hard against his guitar.

We still need to know the truss rod relief, Joe mentioned it needs to be done correctly as it affects playability.

Also the action @ 12th fret, the 1st fret, and I forgot to ask about fret wire.

Thanks
Rob

Hi Rob - Welcome from another Aussie JB fan...

Strings, pots, caps etc. yes I agree can be tweaked to match Joe's setup, but action is a whole different ballgame - too many factors on individual guitars to just copy someone else's set up.  You are going to have to set the action where YOU like it and are comfortable playing.  I'll bet if you measure ALL of Joe's stage guitars with a micrometer, you will see variances in all of them.

Things like subtle neck twisting, fret height & level, nut slot depth, bridge saddle slot depth, overall string tension etc. will all dictate the best action for your guitar.

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Here ya go....
       I usually set up a Gibson of any sort with 11-52 Ernie Ball gauge strings.  Each time the guitar is restrung a portion of Big Bends nut sauce is applied.  It works miracles as far as overall tuning is concerned.  I like the neck to be straight without any relief but not over tightened.  This lets the guitar ring at its maximum.   I find there is a big difference between 10 gauge strings and 11's as far a Gibson is concerned.   Something about the scaling and the way the guitar reacts..  Again its not a test of manhood..  I use stock pots and capacitors in my reissues and as far as the two original 59's they are as they came out of Kalamazoo in 1959 for the exception of the Fake 58 tuners that work way better than the originals.  I still have those as well.  I use a medium high action so the guitar fights back a little when I bend the strings.    Its all about finding that balance of power and finesse.  Fender guitars are a different story..  But I rarely use those anymore.  I hope that helps..  It is a personal thing.   Experiment and enjoy the search..  !!   Welcome aboard..
Joe B

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Here ya go....
       I usually set up a Gibson of any sort with 11-52 Ernie Ball gauge strings.  Each time the guitar is restrung a portion of Big Bends nut sauce is applied.  It works miracles as far as overall tuning is concerned.  I like the neck to be straight without any relief but not over tightened.  This lets the guitar ring at its maximum.   I find there is a big difference between 10 gauge strings and 11's as far a Gibson is concerned.   Something about the scaling and the way the guitar reacts..  Again its not a test of manhood..  I use stock pots and capacitors in my reissues and as far as the two original 59's they are as they came out of Kalamazoo in 1959 for the exception of the Fake 58 tuners that work way better than the originals.  I still have those as well.  I use a medium high action so the guitar fights back a little when I bend the strings.    Its all about finding that balance of power and finesse.  Fender guitars are a different story..  But I rarely use those anymore.  I hope that helps..  It is a personal thing.   Experiment and enjoy the search..  !!   Welcome aboard..
Joe B

Hi Joe
the strats you do have do you use the same gauge strings or something lighter?
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

I recently bought one of your Gibson JBLP Studio guitars and have a few observations that might help readers.  I contacted Gibson and asked why they don't top wrap and they answered something like rather than artist preferences they were going for consistency.  Unfortunately my set up was wacked.  Gibson has been great in support.  I had a case problem and a bad switch and they allowed me to drive in to Nashville and swap out.  Support them when you can.  Great people.  I put on a set of Ernie 10-46, dropped the tailpiece down to the wood, top wrapped, set neck relief at about .005 and adjusted intonnation and it plays great.  With the tailpiece set up high I could never seem to get it to play or sound right.  I used a different tailpiece in case I did not like it and this guitar becomes a collector item.  I have been playing about 40 years and have really gotten into Joe's music lately and enjoying every note.  I was attracted to the JBLP because of  the features and am luvin it!  Plays like butta.  Keep up the great work Joe and keep the blues alive!

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Here ya go....
Joe B