1 (edited by Mandrake 2006-06-04 01:23:01)

Topic: Joe's tuning

Can anyone confirm that Joe has his Gigliotti always tuned down 2 halftones (e.g. "taking the hit", "mountain time" on Rockpalast)? Or does he use some open D tuning or anything else? I have some trouble playing those songs...

Re: Joe's tuning

Takin  a Hit is in E and Mountain time is in D - I recall being able to play them in standard tuning...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Both live and in the studio version, Takin' The Hit is tuned in drop-d.  For Mountain Time, on the studio version it is in standard tuning, but live, Joe plays it in Drop-D.
Hope this helps,
Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Hi Scott,

so it's only the low E string tuned down...
Thanks!

Roland

Im not 100% but Im pretty sure Joe does not use Drop D.  I know for a fact Takin a Hit is standard down one step.  D,G,C,F,A,d
Does Brennan still post here?  He tabbed some of Joes tune so he could tell us.  But Im almost postive its not Drop D.  And I think its down one full step because of his voice, its easy for Joe to sing when its tuned down

Ballgame wrote:

Im not 100% but Im pretty sure Joe does not use Drop D.  I know for a fact Takin a Hit is standard down one step.  D,G,C,F,A,d
Does Brennan still post here?  He tabbed some of Joes tune so he could tell us.  But Im almost postive its not Drop D.  And I think its down one full step because of his voice, its easy for Joe to sing when its tuned down

If you watch Takin the Hit on the Rockpalast DVD, Joe is definetly playing it in drop D... watch where he plays the solo, the intro- everything.  It's definetly just plain old drop d.

Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

7 (edited by Ballgame 2006-06-14 15:36:43)

kwsjb1238 wrote:
Ballgame wrote:

If you watch Takin the Hit on the Rockpalast DVD, Joe is definetly playing it in drop D... watch where he plays the solo, the intro- everything.  It's definetly just plain old drop d.

Scott

OK, I dont have that DVD.....yet smile
I'll look for it.  If thats what he is doing then thats new for him because I pay attention to that stuff and he didnt play it like that in Philly the 3 times I saw him. 

So that would lead me to believe he plays maybe some new song in drop d so that he doesn’t have to keep changes guitars

Interesting stuff

Joe use to post here, maybe one day he'll tell us