Topic: Kamusta? from Manila

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. Name's Alexis from Manila. I have been a JB fan for the last couple of years. I've been playing guitar for 4 going on 5 years with some progress. I don't have the chops I hope to have had by now but I'm working harder than I have in the past, so I hope I get somewhere.

I saw my first Bonamassa concert in Singapore. The only reaction I have is just like what Joe's mum said when she heard that Joe was in Singapore - "OH DEAR." As in, OH DEAR LORD WAS HE ON FIRE!

I thought Joe would play a lot of the unfamiliar songs (just like what other artists do when they have a new album out) but boy was I happy to hear all those hits. The pinnacle of my night was the back-to-back songs of Sloe Gin and "The Tenth Best Riff of the Decade" Ballad of John Henry. Then he closed the set (prior to encore) with my favorite JB song, Mountain Time.

Joe was playing through rented Marshalls. DSL, I think. Two cabs were miced and baffled with a third one on stage (for the theremin maybe?) There were quite a few guitars on tour with him here - a 58 plain top sunburst, a JB with Bigsby, a Bonaburst, and his acoustic. They all sounded good but the 58 was my favorite. It was the cleanest of the bunch and had such a smooth sound to it. The distortion was not harsh and the notes sang. A close second was the Goldtop with Bigsby. I never thought you could get away with Beck-isms with a Bigsby. Joe B proved me wrong. I also heard a lot of Phaser (Phase 90? 100?) for some texture. But it was mostly Joe's fingers, guitar and amp making the sound. I'm sure a lot of people in the audience came to hear how Joe's massive rig and tone sounds like but I liked the show for a different reason. BTW Joe, have you stopped using your delay? I heard a very slight hint of delay but not the "everything straight up" kind.

The songs were beautiful. Young Man's Blues (?), Sloe Gin, Ballad of John Henry, and Mountain Time were the songs that stood out for me. My mom, who came to the show with me and whispered that all great guitarists love their moms (Joe made a comment about calling his mom), especially liked his acoustic songs. After the show she said, his acoustic playing was phenomenal.

There you have it Joe, my mom - a Swing Out Sister, Madonna, and 70s music listener - sat through your show and said she liked it. The rock songs sounded the same to her but she was mesmerized by the acoustic set.

Thanks Joe for keeping the blues alive for a 23 year old like me. I fell in love with the music when I was 18, admittedly after hearing SRV's Pride and Joy. Then I stumbled upon Joe's A New Day Yesterday video from his site and I can't be happier. Joe, I will tell you right now - I'm going to be stealing your licks, phrasing, and tone ideas.

I hope you can come to the Philippines. I would love to meet you then.

Cheers,
Alexis

Re: Kamusta? from Manila

Hello! I am also a newbie here. Welcome to the board.

Hi Alexis from Manila, happy you enjoyed Joe in concert. You sound like a real guitar tech. Welcome!  smile

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

Brack wrote:

Hi Alexis from Manila, happy you enjoyed Joe in concert. You sound like a real guitar tech. Welcome!  smile

Thank you Brack and thank you as well topherlaynes!

I'm not a guitar tech. I'm just another guitar nut! LOL

Mabuti!  Absolutely enamored by your most excellent review, dalandan!!! Very nice!  cool
Pretty sure that's not a Phase 90 or phaser period.  Flanged I believe.  Not sure about much of the setup right now, including the delay.  I think much comes from the FOH as I last recall specific instances of delay when Joe was not near his pedal board.  I think the DSL's are used for BCC, but it would be something he could go with I suppose.  Anyway, BIG welcome kabigan.
Glad you made the trip, seems you had a ball! Not surprised!

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:

Mabuti!  Absolutely enamored by your most excellent review, dalandan!!! Very nice!  cool
Pretty sure that's not a Phase 90 or phaser period.  Flanged I believe.  Not sure about much of the setup right now, including the delay.  I think much comes from the FOH as I last recall specific instances of delay when Joe was not near his pedal board.  I think the DSL's are used for BCC, but it would be something he could go with I suppose.  Anyway, BIG welcome kabigan.

Rocket

Flange? Wow. I thought flange had come and gone with 80's hair metal.

He didn't bring his usual Jubilee-CarolAnn-VanWeelden-Cat5 gear with him and used DSLs for the show. A pity I couldn't hear the "real thing", if you know what I mean. FOH delay sounds like a good idea. Doesn't mess with a cranked power amp.

Thanks, Rocket. I appreciate it.

dalandan wrote:
Rocket wrote:

Rocket

He didn't bring his usual Jubilee-CarolAnn-VanWeelden-Cat5 gear with him and used DSLs for the show. A pity I couldn't hear the "real thing", if you know what I mean. FOH delay sounds like a good idea. Doesn't mess with a cranked power amp.

Just bear in mind I am guessing and could be wrong! Sorry, I have to get back to work or I'd chat more!

Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:
dalandan wrote:
Rocket wrote:

Rocket

Just bear in mind I am guessing and could be wrong! Sorry, I have to get back to work or I'd chat more!

Rocket

It looks like you're right, Rocket! It's an MXR Micro Flanger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZMRVv5N … re=related