Topic: Which CD?

I just discovered Joe Bonamassa today.  Wow, what I have read and heard from him today has blown me away.  My husband and I have been huge Jonny Lang and Kenny Wayne Sheppard fans but I think Joe might pass both of them on our list.

Which CD of Joe's should we buy first to check him out?  At Amazon there is no way to listen to the cuts on the CD Blues Deluxe, Had to Cry Today cuts seem good, but what about all the others?

Would appreciate hearing input from his loyal fans.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Glo

Re: Which CD?

Hello Glo,

I know the feeling of just finding out about Joe and his music.  We just found him by accident about a month ago and within the first week of finding him we bought everything he's made and have seen him in concert.  If you think his music rocks then you'll be blown away by him live.  My favorite cd of his is the new one "You and Me", we got it when we seen him in concert.  Awesome CD.  Whatever CDs you buy you wouldn't be disappointed, there all GREAT.
If you can't get a chance to see him live get the DVDs and you'll get a taste and then you'll have to see him live.  The DVDs are the teasers.  There is nothing like seeing him live.
Joe has passed Lang and Sheppard on our list also.  I've seen Kenny Wayne a couple of times and there is NO comparision in my opinion.

Enjoy.

Tallan "The T-Man" Latz
8 year old blues guitarist
www.tallanlatz.com
http://www.myspace.com/tallanlatz

I'm sorry if this is not much help -- but you really need to buy them all. There is great progression and growth, style change, and evolution from oldest to most current release. You can also get a sense of what emotions Joe might have been feeling at the time of each recording. I assure you that whatever you have to spend to get them all, you will feel like it would have been a bargain at twice the price.

I also suggest listening to them in order, oldest to newest. This will prepare you for the next release due out in June.

Welcome, we're glad you are here. There are many others that feel the same as you do.

PC

PS - buy tickets to a live show and go; even if you have to travel a great distance to get there. It's worth it.

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

4 (edited by David A. 2006-05-25 06:55:07)

Hi Glo, I agree with Phil, start with the earliest and go to the latest, not a bad investment and you will not regret it.  But if you have to pick just one, that is really tough because they are really good.  Joe is indeed quite an accomplished musician.  We have been following him for just 4 years now, seen him a number of times and he always amazes us with his talent.  Not sure where you are from but it is definately worth it to travel to see Joe Live. 

We have seen KWS several times and agree that Joe is in a different league.

Welcome to the board and some of the best fans around...

Music is good for the Soul...

If you can't spring for the entire catalog or even find it. I would suggest Starting with Blues Deluxe. As you build the collection I suggest A New Day Yesterday Live. Then try to find So It's Like That with the DVD. If not buy them seperately. On to Had To Cry Today, Rockapalast DVD, Go back and explore where it all began, With A New Day Yesterday, Now you are ready for You and Me. Then since you will want everything Joe. Find the Bloodline CD on Ebay. Now you are ready to collect some audience recordings. When you get to that point check back here for suggestions for those. I guess what we are saying is you can't have just one.

jim m

...go for all wink

...and end your journey with YOU & ME, which will be released in the US within the next one or two weeks...

Greets
PIT

I started with Blues Deluxe, 'cause that was the song that hooked me.  This is the one I recommend for most new fans, too.  Start there and work your way to the rest. 

It won't be long before you have the collection. 

There might be a rare chance that you will find So It's Like That (SILT) with a DVD.  I bought it at an FYE store.  However, according to info that was posted here long ago, not many of this combo pack was released.

Have fun starting your collection!

WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE~~~JIMI HENDRIX

8 (edited by Craig 2006-05-25 08:17:37)

Joe doesn't have a bad cd. Each of his cd's have a slightly different sound. I haven't been this excited about music since I discovered Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Eddie Van Halen when I was young.

New Day Yesterday: Raw blues
New Day Yesterday Live: Playing live is what joe does best! The extended solo's have an Eric Johnson feel.
So, It's Like That: One of my favorites! This is true blues rock! The riffs are out of this world!
Blues Deluxe: Another Favorite. True British Blues! Can you say Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton.
Had To Cry Today: Country sounding Blues! A real diverse CD.
You and Me: This could be his best. I been listening to this one now for two weeks now. Great british blues with a Led Zepplin and ZZTop sound.

I'd say A New Day Yesterday LIVE... the studio album is good, but the live version is out of this world!  Hearing "If Heartaches Were Nickels" live hooked me from the first 30 seconds... been a fan ever since! All of the songs on ANDY Live are fantastic, but my personal favs are If Hearaches Were Nickels, and I Know Where I Belong, but I love them all.

I'd go for Blues Deluxe second... first time I heard the title song, I was driving in my car and around 4 minutes in, Joe hits a high note and wails on it, starts throwing down sounds that are the equivalent of musical Nirvana--and I'm not kidding, I swerved onto the shoulder of the road it blew me away THAT much. Thank the higher power I didn't crash into somebody, Blues Deluxe should come with a warning label-- I had to stop the car and play it again! 

I'd go with Had To Cry Today next, every single song is exceptional, and Joe's song "The River" is my favorite, as well as Reconsider, Baby-

So It's Like That is a great album, the one I listen to the least (but still on a regular basis), but on it are two fan favorites, Mountain Time, and Pain and Sorrow- which, believe me, Pain and Sorrow alone is worth the price of the CD.

If you can, find So, It's Like That with the DVD of A New Day Yesterday Live.  Trust me, you'll have to SEE Joe playing to believe what you've been hearing!! His latest DVD is Live at Rockpalast and equally as amazing...

Finally, Joe's new album, You & Me comes out June 6th, I already have it and I can tell you, he just keeps getting better.  I can't even pick a favorite from his newest effort, they are all THAT good. 

Welcome to the Bonamassa "Family"!!! We're all glad you're here!

Welcome aboard. There are a lot of song samples, some mp3's, streaming video etc. on the fan website at http://www.bonamassabluesrock.com - click on the links for each album. You can also visit the samples page at http://www.bonamassabluesrock.com/samples.html for more samples of each recording.

I want to thank all of you for the well written responses to my question!!  You are all great.  I just purchased Blues Deluxe on Ebay and can't wait till it arrives.

Very soon I will be buying Had To Cry Today and You and Me.

Thanks once again.

Glo

The thing I've found is that all of Joe's albums have been my favorite at one time or another. Currently it's You and Me. If I were making recommendations for someone, I'd probably say Blues Deluxe or A new Day Yesterday Live.
I guess for someone who's never seen Joe, I might recommend one of the DVD's. The great thing about the A New Day Yesterday DVD (as opposed to the cd), is that you get a couple of great bonus tracks...Are You Experienced and Had to Cry Today.
As everyone else points out though, you can't go wrong and once you get one, it's just a matter of time before you own them all.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

jim m wrote:

If you can't spring for the entire catalog or even find it. I would suggest Starting with Blues Deluxe. As you build the collection I suggest A New Day Yesterday Live. Then try to find So It's Like That with the DVD. If not buy them seperately. On to Had To Cry Today, Rockapalast DVD, Go back and explore where it all began, With A New Day Yesterday, Now you are ready for You and Me. Then since you will want everything Joe. Find the Bloodline CD on Ebay. Now you are ready to collect some audience recordings. When you get to that point check back here for suggestions for those. I guess what we are saying is you can't have just one.

jim m

Nicely said Jim

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Tara wrote:

I started with Blues Deluxe, 'cause that was the song that hooked me.  This is the one I recommend for most new fans, too.  Start there and work your way to the rest. 

It won't be long before you have the collection. 

There might be a rare chance that you will find So It's Like That (SILT) with a DVD.  I bought it at an FYE store.  However, according to info that was posted here long ago, not many of this combo pack was released.

Have fun starting your collection!

Tara I did see yet another So It's Like That CD/DVD combo just 3 weeks ago in an upstate New York store...

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

So joeglo HOW did you discover Joe Bonamassa? We love hearing the various stories even if it's a rerun to us!

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

You can get the "limited edition" of So It's Like That along with the companion DVD on Amazon.com. If fact, you can get Joe's entire collection there including the new release (which I got as an import).

My favorite is Blues Deluxe, but as others have said, they are all very good. I bought So It's Like That and did not even realize the DVD was included.

I first read about Joe in one of the guitar magazines (I think it was Guitar Player) and bought the cd sight unheard(?). Anyway, I also just received the Hal Leonard instructional DVD and am pleased with it also. I think he kind of dumbed it down a little for the non players who might be watching, but it is still worth it.

Joe Rocks!

Nothin' but the Blues

My favorite before You and Me is "So, It's Like That". But Phil is right, you need them all.

Cion