Topic: Elgin - 5/5/07

Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines. Joe Bonamassa's 2007 tour has begun with a bang.

Joe came into the marvelous 760-seat Elgin Community College Visual Arts Center with new songs and new band members. Let's start with the set list.

1. Bridge to Better Days
2. Walk in My Shadow
3. Blues Deluxe (OMG, so awesome. Joe at his best on electric)
4. Mountain Time
5. Burn in Hell
6. new song - Another Kind of Love (I think that's the title). A fast rocker. Very nice.
7. new song  - Sloe Gin. Power ballad-y blues. I love it. I love it. I love it. This one will be worth the price of the CD.
8. High Water Everywhere. Leads off the acoustic part of the set.
9. Miss You, Hate You.
10. Woke Up Dreaming. Incredible. Brought the house down.
11. Djano. One of my favorites.
12. Just Got Paid/Dazed and Confused. Wonderful. I love when Joe does straight up rock. Brought the house down again.
13. Asking Around for You. As the encore. Made more special with the addition of Melissa's little boy up on stage playing his toy guitar right next to Joe (who never batted on eye). People went nuts laughing and clapping.

As for the new band members, I have to be honest and say that the addition of Carmine Rojas on bass and Rick Mellick on keyboards really brought a new dimension to the live experience. Carmine's sound is fat and full, and while not particularly showy, really gave Joe the anchor he needs to fly into the stratosphere with his solos. This was Carmine's first show with the band and he fit right in from the first note. Rick's keyboard provided an extra depth of melody that filled up the sound just right.

I had so much fun tonight. I was fortunate enough to meet all the great Street Teamers from the forum...pattyluvsjoe, photogal, Melissa, Bill S., gary and michael*lynch who's in from London to do another round of Joe's shows. It was so great to meet all of you. Thank you for helping make this a special evening.

I'm just saying.

Re: Elgin - 5/5/07

Thanks Nancy,

Makes me curious for the coming European tour. Wonder if he's coming with the same line up overhere. Will see them 3 times the next tour!!

Andre Wittebroek.

3 (edited by Barbara 2007-05-06 08:35:00)

Great review Nancy!  Thanks.  Sounds like it was a killer show and that you had a FANTASTIC time.  Oh, so michael*lynch was there..........  Does that mean he will be posting a review of Joe's show last night too????? Hope so.  Thanks again for sharing.

Barbara

Nancy in Chicago wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines. Joe Bonamassa's 2007 tour has begun with a bang.

Joe came into the marvelous 760-seat Elgin Community College Visual Arts Center with new songs and new band members. Let's start with the set list.

13. Asking Around for You. As the encore. Made more special with the addition of Melissa's little boy up on stage playing his toy guitar right next to Joe (who never batted on eye). People went nuts laughing and clapping.

I hope Joe didn't put my son in time out for getting on stage. lol LMAO!! lol  My wife called me right after the show to tell me the news.  I hope everyone at the show had a wonderful time. smile

Dean

cant add much more to what nancy said , she got it right . dean your little son stole the show,[hard to upstage joe] but joe loved him being up there as much as the audience.I can tell you from hanging around after the show around the consession stand that there was a major buzz going on . I think there were alot of first timers getting that awestruck feeling. Great to finally get a chance to say hi in person to the forum members at the show. Nancy I think your hubby should get on the forum he seems like a great guy. how about a forum name like "worst half" lol.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

I think the fan was a million miles away as per post elgin may 5 . million if you read this you get my vote for most enthusiastic fan . he was jumping around trying to get the crowd more fired up . It looks like you had your bonabaptism big time.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

7 (edited by CarljMD 2007-05-06 10:50:51)

Sounds like the tour is starting with a major *BANG*!  I am getting even more psyched for Joe's 6/2 appearance at the Western MD Blues Festival in Hagerstown, MD. 

Apparently it was not an "unknown fan" who asked to put Nicolino on the stage...see post #29 in this thread: http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtop … 632#p17632

I definitely want to see some pics of that....hope Patty & Rhonda had a great time at the show despite their friend's absence, and the rest of ya's as well.  Wow...Michael Lynch too....amazing.

Keep on rockin' the blues...

CarljMD

Edited:  Oops, my bad....I was confused by the quotes....welcome Million...glad to have you aboard!

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

Sounds like a great show it was. We just have to wait a couple of months over here ine Holland but it sounds like it's worth waiting.
Hope michael has a great time over there.

Greetz

Nancy,
Thanks for the great review. An interesting setlist and as you say the new bandmembers and our Bogie bringing new dimensions to the live performances of Joe.And how about little Nicolino the upcoming star...Great start of the Tour.  Can't wait now ..... wish i could 've joined Michael on his tour.........Hope Patty had a nice time too...
Well have FUN all off you who are goiing to the shows.

Barbara wrote:

Great review Nancy!  Thanks.  Sounds like it was a killer show and that you had a FANTASTIC time.  Oh, so michael*lynch was there..........  Does that mean he will be posting a review of Joe's show last night too????? Hope so.  Thanks again for sharing.

Barbara

I think I blew Michael's cover. I wasn't supposed to tell anyone he was here, but I just couldn't give everyone else a shoutout and not him. He was just such a pleasure to meet and a genuinely all-around great guy. I'll let him do a review in his own unique way which I'm sure will make mine pale in comparison.

I'm just saying.

11 (edited by Nancy in Chicago 2007-05-06 11:34:19)

gary wrote:

cant add much more to what nancy said , she got it right . dean your little son stole the show,[hard to upstage joe] but joe loved him being up there as much as the audience.I can tell you from hanging around after the show around the consession stand that there was a major buzz going on . I think there were alot of first timers getting that awestruck feeling. Great to finally get a chance to say hi in person to the forum members at the show. Nancy I think your hubby should get on the forum he seems like a great guy. how about a forum name like "worst half" lol.

Nah, forums aren't his thing. In fact, I think he gets a bigger kick out of seeing me so "starstruck" than being part of it himself.

Gary, it was great meeting you. I hope we can all get together again in Rockford.

I'm just saying.

I have been terribly remiss in not thanking Joe, Carmine, Bogie and Rick for an awesome show that has kicked off my summer in spectacular fashion.

Joe, thanks for taking the time to meet and talk with us after the show. You are such a warm and generous human being. I could tell you were tired but were so patient and giving to all us fans who want just a little piece of your magic. I wish you much success on the rest of your tour. Thanks again and happy birthday. See you in Rockford.

I'm just saying.

OMG!!! LOL!  Nico, I only wish I couldv'e joined you & Joe onstage with my air guitar! LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can I have your autograph?!

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Oh yeah, thanks for the setlist and posts everyone.   Hope you were able to have some fun Patty.  Remember the mysterious ways all......Michael, you seem to a FANtastic answer to the recent are we losing Joe to the Europeans topic....answer: Looks like a European has started  the "Exchange Program", whether or not he has worries about losing Joe to the US of Americans!!! "Exchange Program"=excellent idea...Dean, that's sounds worse than missing a ballgame, but Melissa, if you laughed and applauded so much you broke your camera.....way too funny and cool

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Hi Steve-

I would like to thank you personally for making my son's night with Joe special.  I know that Nico will never forget this moment on stage with Joe and his band.  He will cherish this moment for the rest of his life.

Thanks again,

Dean

Well, as usual Joe and the band came through with another outstanding show.
I won't repeat the setlist, since that's already been posted but i'll share highlights for me. First off, the two songs from the new album were awesome. Those two songs certainly have me eagerly anticipating the release of the new album. I agree with Nancy about the song "Sloe Gin" and predict that this will become a fan favorite.

Joe started his acoustic set with High Water, and said that it was his first time playing it live.  It sure sounded like he's been playing it forever, a texture to that song that I'd describe as gritty. Like many of the songs Joe plays live, I'm curious to see how some of these songs evolve over time. Although you can see Joe's skills from the opening number, his current version of Woke Up Dreaming really showcased Joe's considerable talents. At one point in this song I snuck a peek at the three new fans that I had with me and they were all sitting with that awestruck look on their faces, that look of disbelief at what they're seeing. Of course, my daughters were with me and even though they've seen Joe 5 or 6 times, they were wearing that same look.

Just Got Paid/Dazed & Confused (featuring a blistering drum solo by Bogie), with Askin Around for You encore were great ends to an great show, along with the special guest appearance by Nico. What was great was that Nico looked totally in sync with what Joe was playing...the kid's got rythym.

I haven't memorized Joe's guitars, but there were a few changes. A new guitar for Burning Hell (not the Chandler), but I don't know what it was (anyone?). No gold strat...Blues Deluxe was played on a Les Paul.

It was absolutely great to see the fan(atic)s from this forum in person. Patty, Rhonda, Nancy, Melissa (sorry we didn't get a chance to talk a bit), Gary and last, but not least Michael. Michael, thank you for you generosity and for thinking of your American counterparts during your travels.
Finally, thanks to Joe, Bogie, Carmine and Rick for  a great evening....and to Carmine and Rick, glad you're here.
Bill S

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Slow Gin? Like the Kiss song?

Blues ain't nothin' but a good woman gone bad.

18 (edited by pattyluvsjoe 2007-05-06 22:47:25)

Greetings All,
      Well, I have finally made it back home.........a long 6 hours.....Joe and me....missed not having Sarah along for company......I think I know all the words to all the songs......ride over, ride back=12 hours of Joe=marathon.  I posted update on Scott's condition under General Topics....thanks again to all for thoughts & prayers.  I know Sarah really appreciated it.  You are all the greatest!
     It turned out to be quite an adventure.  Michael Lynch is absolutely positively one of the nicest people you could ever meet. Such a delight marching with him to "Walk in My Shadow." lol He got to stay at the Bonamassa Hotel (my sister Bev's house) with Rhonda & I.  My sister even had a sign on her front door made.  Michael quizzed us this morning on the state capitals......hard for us tired "Joe-Heads" to get them all correct.  He had a "spot of tea" with his breakfast.  I had him repeat words just so I could hear the British accent.....way cool.  He wants to get in on the left side of vehicles, so Rhonda had to remind him that he wasn't driving smile  She was giving him a tour of Chicago this morning and Missouri this afternoon and evening.  Will be anxious to hear from them.  We had a hard time getting away from each other this morning....sitting in my sister's driveway singing You Upset Me Baby as a trio.......Michael said, "We're the next American Idol !"   
     Well, my post might turn into a mini-series about the concert.  When we arrived in the parking lot........there was Rhonda(Photogal) and Michael.....Michael had us in stitches from the start....he had made "Smiley Pie" masks smile smile smile  for us to wear during the concert.  He actually had them velcrod (sp?) on to glasses so they were quite fashionable.  I laughed so hard I cried.  The picture will tell all when you see it.  I won't say anymore.  Brilliant, Michael & thanks to his Sharon for helping.   Rhonda had some of her signature jello shots and homemade salsa going....I guess you could say we were tailgating.  We had a mini-crowd.  Bill S. (loved your family....what fun kids!!), Melissa & Nico, Nancy & hubby...great chatting with all of you.  Gary & Steve, great to meet you, too!
     And the show.......WOWSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!..........GGGRRROOOVVVYY
Ditto to everyone else's remarks......Joe was absolutely positively ENERGIZED!!!!!!!!!  He was so happy and he was REALLY CHARMING with the audience.  I loved everything he played and it was great hearing the two new songs......CAN HARDLY WAIT FOR THE NEW CD.....Bogie says we are going to be blown away by it!!!!!!!!!   Speaking of Mr. Bogie Bowles, another EXCELLENT drum solo!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And Bogie, we always love visiting with you.  You are a very interesting person and so kind. Rick, excellent keyboard and welcome back!!! We were hoping to see you after the show, maybe next time!  Carmine Rojas, welcome and what a sound......you've got a way cool arsenal of basses.  I enjoyed meeting you after the show and your enthusiasm for being in the band was very obvious.   Donnie, Dave, and Aaron it is always a pleasure to see you hard working men!!!!!!  Many thanks for setlist, my first ever!!!!!  Love the fact it even the keys of each song on it smile  Joe was very well received by the crowd and yes Nico was priceless.  That little dude rocked the entire show.  He played his little plastic guitar feverishly and I felt so honored to be in his presence.  And Melissa, what a treat to get to meet you smile.
     And I was in ABSOLUTE HEAVEN after the show.  Joe came out and was so sweet!!!  He told several  funny stories and yes, I was spellbound by him.  After last night, it is officially confirmed, once again...pattydoesluvjoe smile  I had the time of my life talking with him and sharing in his birthday celebration (as I am not able to go to OKC sad ) but I tell ya' what, he made it all so special.   Thanks Joe, from the bottom of my heart!!!!  Thanks for letting me be wild about you smile You are this fan's hero.  I luv being a Joe Bonamassa fan!!!!!!!!!! 

pattyluvsjoe

P.S.  And to my great pal Photogal, you are the best!!!  I am so thankful that I discovered Joe and then discovered you.  You are a great friend!!!!!  Michael, our new found friend...we make an awesome trio !  Am starting to save my pennies so I can go to Europe and do the Europe scene with you....Rhonda, start tossing your pennies in , too.  I want to go with you.

P.S.  Lee, I almost forgot.....I got the neatest autograph on your picture of Joe & me.  Instead of "You and Me" he signed it "Me and You"  ....priceless...I will bring to next show I see you at!!!!!!!

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184