Topic: How many JB Les Paul models?

Hi I'm kinda new around here. I'm thinking about purchasing a JB model and need a little fast history on the different ones from Gibson. I know there is a chambered, aged goldtop on the Gibson site right now and I see the Bursts at Wildwood. Was there another model before this, and was it aged or chambered?
Thanks.

Anthony

Re: How many JB Les Paul models?

Really? Nobody?

Anthony

Dude I don't have a clue I didn't think they had a chambered body but I can't afford one so I didn't keep up with it.  I think for what I do know is there is an Aged VOS, 25 unaged gold tops, 3 or 4 candy apple blue, and the VOS burst, and now the epiphone models.  If there are anymore honestly I'm unaware of it.

AD3THREE wrote:

Dude I don't have a clue I didn't think they had a chambered body but I can't afford one so I didn't keep up with it.  I think for what I do know is there is an Aged VOS, 25 unaged gold tops, 3 or 4 candy apple blue, and the VOS burst, and now the epiphone models.  If there are anymore honestly I'm unaware of it.

That's it.  From Gibson, there are only the aged/unaged Goldtops, a small number of candy apple blues and the Wildwood "Bona Bursts".  Most recently the Epiphone Goldtops.  Best chance of getting a JB model is the epiphone or the wildwood models.

They are weight relieved not chambered. I have a JBLP aged number #28 and it is my favorite, number one, go to guitar.  I just love it.  I also have one of the WildWood Bonabursts and I love that one too.  The neck is much beefier on the Bonaburst.  A lot more "meat" to the neck.  Sounds fantastic. 

From what I've read they made 300 total from the custom shop.  200 +_ 50 Aged Goldtops.  then they did some without the relicking and they also did a very few (5) blue ones.  Totaling 300 guitars.  So the rarest and most difficult to find is the blue one, followed by a non aged gold top then an aged gold top. 

I saw a Wildwood bonaburst for sale on "The Gear Page".  I think he wanted something like 3300.  I would highly recommend calling Wildwood and see what they can do for you.  The first guitar I ever bought unseen was through them and they really take the time and give you every chance to get the right one.  Not to mention Joe has thrown an impressive amount of swag in the case. 

In terms of playing out (i don't) I would probably play my Bonaburst out before the gold top only because the gold top is obviously a Joe guitar.  It would be like playing out with a red and white striped guitar ala EVH. 

If you keep your eyes on Ebay one occasionally comes up for sale there too.  Good hunting.  We have a fantastic part of the forum where Joe explains his live rig, guitars, etc.....with links to youtube videos that are full of info.  Plus once in a while Joe pops in here and offers advise or just says hi.

Ok here they are so far...as I can recall
  BONAMASSA 001 THRU 300
proto JB (JB collection)
1.  Serial # 001( JB collection) #052( JB collection) thru 250  Aged Goldtops with Black hardware and black backs.
2. 251 thru 275  Unaged goldtops with black hardware and black backs
3. 276-277-279 (JB Collection) -280 Candy apple blue with black hardware and black backs
4. 281 thru 300 aged and custom order Goldtops.  same as the first batch..
none of them to my knowledge are chambered but all have a weight relived two piece back.

Wildwood series Sunburst black back and hardware
Joe B 001 thru 075
prototype (JB collection)
Joe B 001 thru 075
Joe B ( 052 JB Collection)

Custom one off Chambered 
Prototype JB Model.. 
Goldtop black hardware ( dark back ) and bigsby
(JB Collection)

Epiphone  Joe Bonamassa Goldtop with black backs and Hardware
# 1 thru 1000  somewhere in transit and in hands of loving owners
Protype (JB collection)

Thats all I can tell you about the story of the JB's... Hope that helps..
Joe B

There you have it straight from the horses mouth.

Thank you for the replies. Very helpfull.

Anthony

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Ok here they are so far...as I can recall
  BONAMASSA 001 THRU 300
proto JB (JB collection)
1.  Serial # 001( JB collection) #052( JB collection) thru 250  Aged Goldtops with Black hardware and black backs.
2. 251 thru 275  Unaged goldtops with black hardware and black backs
3. 276-277-279 (JB Collection) -280 Candy apple blue with black hardware and black backs
4. 281 thru 300 aged and custom order Goldtops.  same as the first batch..
none of them to my knowledge are chambered but all have a weight relived two piece back.

Wildwood series Sunburst black back and hardware
Joe B 001 thru 075
prototype (JB collection)
Joe B 001 thru 075
Joe B ( 052 JB Collection)

Custom one off Chambered 
Prototype JB Model.. 
Goldtop black hardware ( dark back ) and bigsby
(JB Collection)

Epiphone  Joe Bonamassa Goldtop with black backs and Hardware
# 1 thru 1000  somewhere in transit and in hands of loving owners
Protype (JB collection)

Thats all I can tell you about the story of the JB's... Hope that helps..
Joe B

That's great; thanks so much.

I hope to be calling Wildwood over the next couple of weeks.

I got permission from the comptroller today to pick one out.  big_smile

conorb

we have an update on this issue?
January 2013

Don't forget the Studios smile

JBLP (aged) 293, JBLP STD, JB ES-335, JBLP Studio, JBLP Goldtop Epi, JBLP Inverness Green Epi.