Topic: Fake Gibson Les Pauls for sale.....gold tops

FYI
Just saw on Ebay there are Fake "Gibson" Les Paul "Joe Bonamassa gold tops for sale" ...I think they were 600 some dollars....they had 10 of them.
Some people got the nerve ...Check it out and get a good laugh....hope they stay down under too.....

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

Re: Fake Gibson Les Pauls for sale.....gold tops

I'm going to gig him a little...

wharris wrote:

I'm going to gig him a little...

How many are you going to buy????   Nice  shaped headstock and Gibson logo huh???     L.O.L

4 (edited by wharris 2010-12-31 17:26:13)

I can't get him to answer my questions. I really hope that nobody bites on one of those thinking that they are getting a JB Les Paul in any form.

I did Email Gibson yesterday about it......maybe Ebay or Gibson can stop these thieves...

It wouldn't be so bad if they just listed it as a Les Paul Copy or something, and stopped short of the "Direct from the factory etc etc..." sales pitch.  Using the factory description and Joe's name to sell an obvious fake, even though acknowledging it as a fake, is NOT cool.  I agree they should be stopped.

People build and sell Stratocaster replicas all the time without much flak so I don't personally find it offensive that someone has made a Les Paul copy.  Slash had one...  In my opinion, it's just the way in which they market their products that has them treading on thin ice.  -S.

How is it that companies such as Bulldog can build Les Paul Kits and not catch trouble over it?

The same goes for Fender style products? Like King Bee guitars or anything

AndreS wrote:

How is it that companies such as Bulldog can build Les Paul Kits and not catch trouble over it?

I wonder that too.  The Fender copies are easy to make and they (some) are just as nice as the real thing, and much cheaper.  Most of the companies that build and sell replica guitars are very up front about it NOT being an official Fender guitar and everything, they won't apply decals either.  I'm sure they are within their rights to sell guitars in such a way, though it might be a very fine line they are walking.  Amp builders are out there "cloning" Marshall and Fender too, it's everywhere.  If someone wants to take a design an improve upon it, then I'm all for it.  And if it saves me some money buying from a smaller company who really cares about building me a quality product then all the better.

Gibson Customer service did email me back they are going to look into it...happy to help them out!    A few years ago i saw a Gibson fake in a local music shop....it was a crappy les paul copy ...especially up close. no wonder the person was selling it so cheap( 300.00)...maybe it was good firewood!!!

10 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2011-01-02 15:24:18)

AndreS wrote:

Saga and mighty mite sell licensed Fender replacement necks, so they are good.

I will pretense this by saying I am not a lawyer.
As for Bulldog and other DIY companies.... those are guitar kits... and parts - not complete guitars. They aren't selling anything that says Gibson on it. The "Open Book" headstock might be the only issue there. BUT in court, a defense would be that no person in their right mind would ever mistake a Bulldog or other LP replica from a real Gibson brand guitar because of x, y, and z reasons. Again, it's a defense - not a right.

Many companies sell "single-cut" solidbody guitars. Not kits, but fully assembled working ones. When a lawsuit comes, they're pretty much just forced to change their headstock shape. And I'm not speaking about the China copies, I'm talking the ESP's that that were made for Metallica in the early 90's, and the Ibanez clones from the 70's, etc.

In lawsuit cases with guitar kits, the most logical way for Gibson to do is to lean on them with a phone call, saying "at least change your headstock or legal action could take place."

Contrary to what we might think, DIY guitar kits are a small but upcoming market... not everyone can do this stuff, let alone do it well. A lawsuit could get costly and I don't think they want to bother unless that corner of the market really blew up and people started putting Gibson logos all over them with outstanding quality. Something I don't think will or would happen soon.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

11 (edited by Sjmckean 2011-01-05 07:57:54)

airportdon wrote:

FYI
Just saw on Ebay there are Fake "Gibson" Les Paul "Joe Bonamassa gold tops for sale" ...I think they were 600 some dollars....they had 10 of them.
Some people got the nerve ...Check it out and get a good laugh....hope they stay down under too.....

Which one are you talking about?  I saw one was a Gibson gold top that was being passed of as a Bonamassa, but wasn't.  The serial number verified it was a GIbson gold top though.  I emailed the seller and told him the same thing.  I don't even see it on there anymore.

The other was a brand called "Vintage".  They are pretty common in England, and from what I understand, they are pretty good guitars.  Their version of the JBLP is not advertised by the manufacturer as a JBLP.  It's the people selling them.

Correction: the model nr is MRJBLP, but they don't explicitly call it a "Bonamassa" model.  It wasn't uthorized by Joe, but I think I read that he knows about them.  I'm not even sure we're talking about the same guitar though.  Do you have a link?

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

Sjmckean wrote:

The other was a brand called "Vintage".  They are pretty common in England, and from what I understand, they are pretty good guitars.  Their version of the JBLP is not advertised by the manufacturer as a JBLP.  It's the people selling them.

Correction: the model nr is MRJBLP, but they don't explicitly call it a "Bonamassa" model.  It wasn't uthorized by Joe, but I think I read that he knows about them.  I'm not even sure we're talking about the same guitar though.  Do you have a link?

there is lots on the forums about the Vintage brand relic'd goldtops

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Sjmckean wrote:
airportdon wrote:

FYI

Which one are you talking about?  I saw one was a Gibson gold top that was being passed of as a Bonamassa, but wasn't.  The serial number verified it was a GIbson gold top though.  I emailed the seller and told him the same thing.  I don't even see it on there anymore.

Gibson and or Ebay probably removed them....there were 10 fake Gold tops for sale with free shipping........that same person had other "Replica" Gibsons listed on their site as well......I hope nobody out there purchased one of them... let that junk crap stay over there...!!!

Good.  At least someone is watching and getting them to take the crap off there.  I don't see the one I was looking at either, and it had 10 days left.

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Gold Top, 2010 Epi Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard '57 Gold Top, 2010 Epi Les Paul Standard Honey Burst (autographed by Joe Bonamassa), 2006 Epi Les Paul Classic Quilt top, 2004 Eric Clapton Strat, 1989 First wife

[

baradragon wrote:

[

i got a bonamassa les paul epiphone , fantastic guitar,all the specs match,im playing 30 years,and this mother rocks,not like some of the bullshit copies.

Hi everyone I have just found this forum
I have just bought a JB gold top but I’m not sure sure it’s genuine
I have a Paul Kossoff VOS aged
But this Gold Top a lot lighter
The S N has 9 digits
And starts with 11531
Any advice would help
Thanks Eamonn

swords2828 wrote:

Hi everyone I have just found this forum
I have just bought a JB gold top but I’m not sure sure it’s genuine

Not sure there is enough "guitar experts" here to comment,  and especially on just a serial number.

Joe's custom guitars,  are usually custom colors as well.

Try post pictures on Twitter and Tag Joe on it

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)