Topic: JB's string action?

I know in the sticky "setup" thread JB mentions he plays "high action"...  but what is "high"? Does anybody have any knowledge of the actual action, say, measured at the 12th fret, or something?  I also play with "high" action, but I'm starting to wonder if it's too high... (and hindering me from increasing my speed.)

Re: JB's string action?

ruger9 wrote:

I know in the sticky "setup" thread JB mentions he plays "high action"...  but what is "high"? Does anybody have any knowledge of the actual action, say, measured at the 12th fret, or something?  I also play with "high" action, but I'm starting to wonder if it's too high... (and hindering me from increasing my speed.)

Curious- do you set your action based on what Joe does or what you like?

Maybe you should try and find out how many string wraps he uses on the tuning posts as well... If your strings feel too high, they probably are.  Lower them.

Here is my theory... I set my action high enough so I can bend comfortably.. I know its getting too high when my left ring finger goes under the G string ( let the jokes start in 5..4...3..2..1..) when bending the B string durning So Many Roads.  High action doesnt hinder speed in my opinion.  I use heavy gauge strings and high action.. I think it actually helps.. Now am I the fastest draw in the West?  No not by a long shot.. I think its a good mix of technical and feel that wins the day.. Its like coffee.. How many sugars do you like?  Everybody has a different answer..
Joe B

I like the action to be slightly higher, feel like I can dig in more....too low, feels too easy...that make sense????   Not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but that is not my bag, to play like the "shred kids" on youtube.....technique blended with melody is my cup of tea.

Jay

Self-Professed "GOLDIE" Nut-Job!!!!

JBLP #267

Billion81 wrote:
ruger9 wrote:

oh jeez, here we go...

look, if you don't want be helpful, just move along please.

I set my action according to what I like, of course, but AS I SAID, I've been having problems increasing my speed, and was wondering if my high action might be part of the problem, so was curious how high JB's is. because he obviously can play blisteringly fast.

helrazr84 wrote:

Maybe you should try and find out how many string wraps he uses on the tuning posts as well... If your strings feel too high, they probably are.  Lower them.

See my reply, below. It goes for you too.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Here is my theory... I set my action high enough so I can bend comfortably.. I know its getting too high when my left ring finger goes under the G string ( let the jokes start in 5..4...3..2..1..) when bending the B string durning So Many Roads.  High action doesnt hinder speed in my opinion.  I use heavy gauge strings and high action.. I think it actually helps.. Now am I the fastest draw in the West?  No not by a long shot.. I think its a good mix of technical and feel that wins the day.. Its like coffee.. How many sugars do you like?  Everybody has a different answer..
Joe B

Thanks Joe.  I set my action the same way, based on bending...especially the high E.  I play 11's on my PRS (25" scale), and if I don't get the high E high enough to get my fingertip UNDER it, it slips. I can't just be on top of the string...it slips.  We always called this fun little noise "bdoink...f*&k!" in my band. lol

Sounds like we approach action the same way... thanks again for answering, I was really making sure I wasn't trying to play fast with dobro action.  big_smile

BTW... enjoyed Live@Royal again last night... was jamming along with Django.

I would assume that Joe would have a higher action on the guitars he plays slide on?  Or perhaps he keeps them all the same?  I'd be interested to know.

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

10 (edited by Billion81 2010-12-18 20:33:46)

ruger9 wrote:
Billion81 wrote:
ruger9 wrote:

oh jeez, here we go...

look, if you don't want be helpful, just move along please.

I set my action according to what I like, of course, but AS I SAID, I've been having problems increasing my speed, and was wondering if my high action might be part of the problem, so was curious how high JB's is. because he obviously can play blisteringly fast.

Holy shmoly here we go where??- trying to get a bit of info so I could be helpful. Wee bit sensitive aren't we? I implied nothing to which you inferred....something.

I was taking your comment/question at face value.

Good luck...Moving along as requested.

Billion81 wrote:

Holy shmoly here we go where??- trying to get a bit of info so I could be helpful.

I was taking your comment/question at face value.

No, you were being a smart-ass (just go back and look at your "question" to me, it's obvious), and we both know it.  But that's ok... it's legal, freedom of speech and all that.

Doesn't matter, the man himself chimed in, very gracious of him to actually comment on his own forums (very rare that artists do that). The only other time I've seen an artist actually get on a music forum as a member and actually participate was Brian Setzer on the Gretsch forum... but on of the posters offended him and he left, unfortunately.

Anyway, very gracious of Joe. Thanks again Joe.

ruger9 wrote:
helrazr84 wrote:

See my reply, below. It goes for you too.

Suck it.  That goes for you.