Re: Thank You All

Bogie Bowles me over! Again!
Well I've seen 3 great drummers and 4 great bassists go through Joe's solo career bands, you had the longest stay.  Unlike others, I'm not sad to see you go, of course I have to qualify that.  I am glad you move on as I know we have to do that sort of thing in life, whether desired or not desired.  And it is your desire, so you must Keep the Faith with that, no one but you can question that.  With each musician change Joe has had, I have taken a grumpy, harumphy stand on the next generation.  Because I very much found great favor in the predecessors. Frankly, each new addition was not up to snuff right away in my opinion.  However, having seen you come right in and get busy, it seemed a little different.  The first time I saw you and Mark Epstein perform the Just Got Paid / Dazed And Confused medley, the attention was on Joe, of course, and Mark, and your drumming was certainly "there", but there was no solo, just the turnaround fills.  I'm not sure, but I think that was the very first time you had performed it, as I had just seen the previous show.  One year and some change later, during the tour, which was the Live From Nowhere In Particular extravaganza, you were (totally) blowing me away completely when you had returned to the states from Europe.  I am easily excited but not easily impressed, and you absolutely impressed me.  Knocked me over.  Bowles me o'er!!! I will never forget that.  I had been hoping to chat you up that night, but alas I chatted with Rick, Carmine, & Joe, but not you.  Maybe it was for the better, because I was so impressed that night I would've lost my composure and gone goofy on you and given you a big scary, but caring and careful but precipitously close to scary only hug!  My best memory of your playing will be that Just Got Paid / Dazed And Confused medley, and all other times of course, indeed special on RAH DVD / CD, but that second time very, very special.  I think that is when your ship had come in from the aligning constellations.  What can I say? I really love your aggressive style and my admiration has grown bigger and stronger over time, and time again.  Speaking of time, your solid and I mean SOLID backbeat is so vital to a stage presentation.  But then there are those flourishes, never too much, never too little.  The tasty cymbal crashes (it's hard to master tasty with them, but you did so), to the whirlwinds where I thought your arms might fly off and across the stage, still moving, and that FORCEFUL kick and especially your kick and pause...to double time double whomp
My favorite memories of your playing goes with the title cut of the landmark album Sloe Gin.  I had been wondering when the heck you were going to be allowed to shine in the studio, and there it was, only to be outdone every time, in succession even, on the live stage.  You owned that song as much as Joe!!! Even given the contributions of Carmine Rojas and Rick Melick on that song, let ALONE Joe's tremendous playing and singing, well, hopefully you will understand that your impeccable skills come through, for me, besting all others you are lauded for-High Water EverywhereYoung Man Blues, Slow Train, The Ballad of John Henry, even Happier Times,etc.  So thankful for seeing and hearing you on Sloe Gin those many times!  Glad I finally got to look you in the eyes and shake your hand at Las Vegas, September 2008 event, even though you guys were leaving for Flagstaff A.S.A.P. That handshake brought me luck on Vegas slots after the late evening meal, to the tune of $200.00+ on a 10 spot invested (which was the inside joke on the review I wrote for the free concert being well worth the 200 dollar admission price, meaning Vegas paid me to see that great show and finally meet you).  One of my favorite RAH moments was seeing you all night, of course, with the great Anton and you just amazing and out of this world to me, but most of all seeing you rise from the stool to applaud when Eric Clapton made his entrance past you. And your face meant it too!!!  I came my closest to tears the whole evening, with a Bogie worthy grin on my face, seeing that that special night...
I kind of sensed this coming, and seeing you going out on top in Nashville, and especially the after show freezing meeting you held sway with some...You are indeed a Real Class Act all the way, and so on your way you go, and I wish you well, wellness, happiness, love, peace, good times, and ROCK...and cornbread for rolls!  lol
Whether you step into something new and closer to your ambition, are hanging in any studio, hit the road again in some other form, or even if you are retiring to Montana to start a dental floss farm.......I'm gonna visit you somehow, somewhere...
Thank you.

ROCK ON DUDE! & Keep the Smiling Faith,
Right Hand Pound of Love and Strength drummed to my chest for you,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I saw Joe and the band, for my unfortunately only time, in Peekskill, NY earlier this year. This was the day after Joe had to cancel in Boston due to him being "sicker than a  dog". Well an "under the weather" Joe Bonamassa just blew the roof off of the Paramount Theater and I became a JB addict forever! While watching in awe of Joe performing his feats of guitar wizardry I found my attention constantly being drawn to the drummer, Mr Bogie Bowles! Nothing super flashy, but just understated power and finesse that was truly a delight to behold! Needless to say I am a fan of Mr Bowles forever now too!

Good luck and Godspeed in your future endeavors Bogie!

JD cool

I wish you every success man. You brought something very special to the JB table. Good luck in all that you do.

Geoff

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Bogie

Wish you all the best
You will be missed.

My most memorable Joe show: Halloween at Rams Head.
Joe and Mark ripping it up on "Had to Cry Today" was the number two memory-
the tops was you with the Stewie head on.
During a drum solo, the head kept spinning around, so the eye holes were on the side.
You played on, never missed a beat, and after a while would just spin it back.

Will never forget that image.

Dave

Dave

"The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began."

Mr. Bowles, much respect for such a decision. Thanks for the entertainment.
I hope to hear you again.

Best of luck! To bad I didn't catch a show with you in it. I love your playing smile

Keep rocking!

André