Topic: Amp Problem Frustrations

I've got a Vox VT100 (Valvetronix) and, as most of you already know, they're pretty complicated amps.  They've got all the different amp models, effects, etc. built in, much like a computer.  Unfortunately, this makes them very unreliable.  More gizmos = more problems.  At least that's how it seems...  It was having serious volume issues and a very bad crackly sound, so I took it into a local shop about a month or two ago (they're official Vox dealers).  They did what anyone would do--assume it's the tube and replace it.  Viola! And it worked--at first.  Unfortunately, it's back to the same old problems again.  It went back and forth--working, then not working, etc., but now it's not working at all.  I'm highly positive this isn't the tube anymore.

To be honest, the reason I'm posting this is the fact that I simply feel stupid and cheated.  I mean, I was pretty ignorant buying this thing a couple years ago.  For a modeling amp, it actually does sound really good--that's the reason I bought it.  But, looking back, I've spent around $850 on this amp ($650 for amp, $60 for footswitch, $75 for a 1-year warranty that was useless, $40 to get it re-tubed, and a bunch of tax).  And now, Vox has come out with a new model, so these sell new for $500, meaning I'd be lucky to get $350-400 for it used--not even considering the fact that it doesn't work.  So, I really just wanted to rant!  Now what do I do?!?!?  I was just sucked into it's great tube-like sound and versatility.  But to think I could've bought a used Fender tube-amp with money to spare...   sad

Re: Amp Problem Frustrations

We all do that kind of stuff, my friend. I bought a Peavey Valveking 100 watt head about 2 years ago for $700, and now I'm trying to sell it and I'm getting offers for $250. If I would've been more keen, I could have saved my money and bought a really good tube amp. If you can't fix it, see what you can get for it. There are tons of other amps out there, you'll just need to go find them tongue

"The way I like to look at it is....if that's the last time I ever got to play, I'd better give it everything I've got." -SRV

Before you toss it on the scrap heap, try gently wiggling the tubes in their sockets one at a time, especially the pre amp tubes while it is on to see if it suddenly starts working. Use a cloth to insulate the fingers from the heat. It sounds like a bad socket or bad solder connection thereabouts. If it starts to work, take it back to the tech shop and tell them what it is so they can fix the real problem. Intermittents like this drive the techs crazy, because they often disappear when the amp is transported.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

The Vox Valvetronix VT Amps only have 1 Tube, a 12AX7 in the power amp section. This tube hardly ever breakes and changing does not solve any problems. I used to have a Valvetronix AD 120 VT (2*60W stereo) that sounded very good but has had serious reliability problems. The reason for this have been poor contacts on the circuit boards. After resoldering most contacts, the problems have disappeared.
Did you check the following link for tips?
http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/ 
Read the forum, usually there are many posts dealing with this kind of problems.
Good luck.

-------------------------------------------------------
Gibson Les Paul Studio, PRS SE Custom Semi Holow, Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Ibanez RG370 BK
Marshall JVM 210H, Marshall JCM 900, Hughes&Kettner Statesman Dual EL34   
Blackstar HT Dual, Fulltone OCD, Dunlop Cry Baby, Marshall Blues Breaker, Boss GE 7

I agree with gitchef on this...they are (along with Marshall MG and AVTs) some of the dogs in terms of reliability...and unfortunately they usually go because of the poor quality of the boards, soldering and contacts. It ends up costing a fortune (in labour) to fix these annoying little problems.
I had experience with a Marshall AVT (which my tech said had one of the worst build qualities of any amp) where the plastic in/out on spring switches were so dreadful, that after a while you could press them in, they'd get stuck behind the metal or you could push the piece of metal back behind it and remove it from the contact.
I literally could have made a better amp myself out of a $200 kit...and these were going for $1000 over here in the UK at the time.

The sound may be okay for some of you...the build quality won't be okay for ANY of you.

I think the only good PCBs are from M.Soldano...military grade designed to last for a whole working life. - And you pay for it!

I'm sorry to hear your troubles dude.  It's a hard lesson but I always consider the resale value of any gear I purchase.  There are some things we'll never sell as guitarists but you always have to keep that in the back of your mind.  In my mind the first 2 big investments for you tone are the guitar and amp.  Make your next amp a very reliable and quality all tube amp that you could get your money back out of if you move on to something else.  Fender amps sell good, as do Marshalls.  Vox AC-30s... even the Chinese ones seem to always remain in demand.  Solid state and modelling stuff NEVER hold their value like their tube/analog counterparts...it's just the way it goes.  sad

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

gitchef wrote:

The Vox Valvetronix VT Amps only have 1 Tube, a 12AX7 in the power amp section. This tube hardly ever breakes and changing does not solve any problems. I used to have a Valvetronix AD 120 VT (2*60W stereo) that sounded very good but has had serious reliability problems. The reason for this have been poor contacts on the circuit boards. After resoldering most contacts, the problems have disappeared.
Read the forum, usually there are many posts dealing with this kind of problems.
Good luck.

I actually have been to that forum before.  I've tried a couple of the tips they give, but the biggest one I haven't done yet--cleaning out the jacks.  They suggest using an electrical switch cleaner that comes in a spray bottle.  Unfortunately, I'm not really a "handy" person, so I've never even heard of this stuff before.  Anybody know of certain one to buy?  I'll try and check out a local hardware store and look around...  hmm   I hope that this works, because if the different fix involves soldering or something with the circuit board, I'll really be at a loss!

TrueBlueDrew wrote:
gitchef wrote:

Good luck.

I actually have been to that forum before.  I've tried a couple of the tips they give, but the biggest one I haven't done yet--cleaning out the jacks.  They suggest using an electrical switch cleaner that comes in a spray bottle.  Unfortunately, I'm not really a "handy" person, so I've never even heard of this stuff before.  Anybody know of certain one to buy?  I'll try and check out a local hardware store and look around...  hmm   I hope that this works, because if the different fix involves soldering or something with the circuit board, I'll really be at a loss!

Cleaning all jacks has helped to solve some of the problems I had but not all. By the way, this is something you should do on a regular basis. Radio Shack sells contact cleaner spray.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index … Id=2103700
The final solution was to take the amp apart and check for bad solderings. But this needs some knowledge in electronics and soldering. A good amp tech should be able to do this (maybe not the one who recommended to change the tube). After this procedure I had no more problems with my amp.

-------------------------------------------------------
Gibson Les Paul Studio, PRS SE Custom Semi Holow, Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Ibanez RG370 BK
Marshall JVM 210H, Marshall JCM 900, Hughes&Kettner Statesman Dual EL34   
Blackstar HT Dual, Fulltone OCD, Dunlop Cry Baby, Marshall Blues Breaker, Boss GE 7

Don't ever get rid of it. Buy a Theremin and put the theremin through it.
Or use two amps at once with your replacement on stage.  cool

Lots of things you can do.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Yeah, I'm still toying with the idea of what I will do with it...  I doubt I'll use (or need) a two-amp setup anytime soon, so right now, I'm thinking practice amp if I do end up keeping it.  But, I'm leaning more towards the selling idea.  The way it seems right now, should I be able to fix it, I should probably just take the 350-400 I might be able to get for it and then be done with it.  When I officially upgrade with a new amp, I probably won't ever "need" this one.  And the longer I wait to sell probably doesn't help me any.  I mean, this thing certainly isn't going to go up in value...  I'm still just crossing my fingers that it's not bad solderings...