Topic: Just got the Live at Rockpalast DVD

I just got the Live at Rockpalast DVD last night.  I was totally blown away with Joe's performance.  It’s great to see a musician of that caliber emerging.  I have tickets to his show in August in San Juan Capistrano, and I can't wait!  Joe is a smart guy for doing all the touring that he does because his live shows are what is going to get peoples attention.

Re: Just got the Live at Rockpalast DVD

I'm watching the DVD a lot, it's great! My favourite part is where he plays the river and burning hell! Live it's even better than on the album: I never thought that was possible! But I saw him some weeks ago,too, and you'll love it!

Peace and Love!

I bought the dvd a couple of weeks ago and i highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.It must be cool to go see concerts in an old castle like the one in the dvd.

I love the DVD, but the sound is unforgivable.  The format is 2 channel AC3 rather than PCM.  Maybe most people won't notice or care (and I'm sure that is what the record company banks on).  But I often rip the audio tracks off DVDs to listen to on my CD player or iPod.  First of all AC3 is a compressed sound format.  It's simiar to mp3 in sound quality which means a lot of the high frequencies are trashed.  Given the capacity available on a DVD disc, and the fact that the DVD has only one audio stream, the choice of AC3 is ridiculous.  Next come the recording levels.  They are so far off the top of the chart that the distortion and clipping is terrible.  This is as bad as I have ever seen on a commercially released DVD.

This is a music DVD.  By definition it must have premium sound.  Sadly, this one does not.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

deknight:  We love that DVD too, but thought something was off balance a little with the sound, particularly the bass, which comes across to us as up too loud in the mix, so we adjust our bass down some, which seemed to help.  Otherwise, it's killer, and it looks as though it may have been  uncomfortably warm in the building too.

Phil B. wrote:

I bought the dvd a couple of weeks ago and i highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.It must be cool to go see concerts in an old castle like the one in the dvd.

Dear Phil,

I was there at the DVD recording in that old castle in Satzvey and you are right, it was so cool. It was one of the best and special concerts I've ever been too! It was an wonderful evening, beautiful weather, 30 degrees ,sunny and a nice Italian meal outside on the castle square with a cold beer. Very nice people too.
It was the last gig I saw with Eric (I drank a beer with before the concert) and Kenny  and therefore very special too.
After Joe played a French band called JESUS VOLT and they had a very special bluessound I liked very much live. See their website.

Andre Wittebroek.

Hello andre.Nice of you to reply to my post.I envy you for having such a great venue to see live bands.Although 30 degrees is very cold(just kidding as i know you mean celsius)I'll check out the Jesus volt website.Take care.