Re: Don Imus

Hey John-I have to tell you, of all the things you post, this statement is one I can understand the most! I think there needs to be a better common ground of overall fairness...I don't have all the answers and am not sure how to get there...

Back to Imus-In our school district,  "Raisin In The Sun" is mandatory reading, originally a play written in 1959.  The book has a statement about "nappy" hair/head in a conversation between a mother and child of color. I'm ignorant about some of this terminology, but it did develop in the black community and if Chris Rock said what Imus said he wouldn't have been fired. Imus was wrong, but it's a double standard. Something has to change.  This article was in the paper yesterday.
http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/20 … iring.html

John M wrote:

It used to be the white guy that had all the rights and that wasn't right. Now it's everyone except the white guy and that isn't right either.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

This topical category is so cool!  We know there were several forum junkies in the past who wanted to
discuss topics that just weren't Joe or music-related enough to be acceptable on the old forum.  We have a truly
informed and intellegent bunch of fans here, and having a separate topic area is a great way to "get it all out".
I didn't have time to read each post thoroughly, but as I skimmed through, I can understand both sides of the issue and saw many valid points. 

To Angela and Jane,

I was thinking of you (and any other easterners out there) today with the crappy weather.  You must have power if you're able to be here though!   Hope you're safe, warm and dry!  We have spring in Wisconsin, finally, so it must be heading your way.

Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous mind.

Samual Johnson

I probably listened to the beautiful Beatle song "Blackbird" half of my life before I knew Paul wrote the lyrics about black women in the south during the 60's civil unrest.  Maybe I'll start chanting All We Need Is Love...

http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/paul_ … kbird.html

Hi Becky,
Our sump pump is working overtime and we have a backup on standby. Anthony's moving and emptying buckets of water at the office trying to save his brand new carpet; the landlord had a roofing contractor lined up but the weather postponed it.  Other than that, Life Is Good in New Jersey; just hoping the beach didn't lose much sand! smile

Jane, I sort of agree that the off-topic doesn't belong here. Many say that politics and music should not mix, but it's bound to happen.  People passionate about music are usually passionate about politics as well.  Look at the times and situations in which the best music was created.  I was drawn to this forum, not only for love of Joe and good music, but also because of the character of the people who visit and the way they share.  I think if it stays separate from the rest of the stuff, it won't get out of hand. Plus we've got the mods to keep control.
The only problem is I can see myself spending too much time, as I already have today.  Cripes, the "favorite beer" topic caught my attention (of course!) and Stu's youtube item to share, though I still can't download that stuff efficiently, so I'll have to pass on that one. 

Angela, I love "Blackbird".  Interesting.  I never thought about what it was about either.

Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous mind.

Samual Johnson

23 (edited by Angela 2007-04-20 07:58:37)

I was reading an article in Sports Illustrated about the Rutgers team.  I didn't follow their season much, but was blown away by how Coach Stringer handled her team.  The season got off to 4 losses out of 6 with a 40 point defeat against Duke.  Coach Stringer locked the girls out of the locker room for all of January and took away their Rutgers issued practice gear because she felt they hadn't earned it. The five freshmen on the team were so discouraged they sat around arguing about which one of them their coach hated most!  I guess I'm naive about what goes on in college sports and the team went on to have an amazing and unexpected season.

I can see how the Imus mess really rained on their parade.  The whole team returns next year. Their opening game will probably get alot of attention.

When I first posted Imus, it was emotion on my part. So many of you responded, that it gave me a lot of time to reflect. Having said that, I would like to give a much less emotional thought.
These young girls ( the african americans ) Im being specific with, this may be the only chance of making a life for there themselves. They could be from the inner city or from areas that offer less opportunities for someone because of the color of their skin. I know that might be stereotyping, so be it. So many of them are never given options because of skin color. To go to school, get an education is priceless. To have some shock jock throw them under the bus for any reason angers me. I wish them the best, some of their own will never be afforded the same chance for a life that many of us take for granted.

Shredit

Hi Shredit- Emotions were high on my end too and the more I read the more I learned.  I was stuck in 2 doctor's waiting rooms w/ 2 different kids last week for over 3 hours...do doctors value anyones time...kidding.. Read the Newsweek, Time mags and CNN was on, more focused on VT.  It was very strange when our appointment was over the waiting room had cleared out and only the 2 African-American receptionists were left. They turned off CNN and had either one of the MTV video channels or BET channels on with the music videos that everyone had been discussing, really raunchy and as all the commentators were saying, degrading to women.  I think some people just like the beat of the music and don't see the other stuff the way everyone else has analyzed it.  However, it's all part of the mixed signals being sent.

From what I read - I'm not sure about the whole team, but I'd say the majority of the team are there on some type of scholarship.  To achieve that in the competitive college market, they have worked hard, are gifted athletically and made lots of sacrifices.  The two white girls cried harder about the whole mess than any of them.  Some of the girls are from really rough neighborhoods, have had many hardships, one just buried her mother and was so annoyed that the media wouldn't stop calling her house when there were a few days off over Easter. I had a couple conversations with 2 of my brothers who are partners in big law firms in Philly.  When you make partner, you wear a couple of hats-one brother heads a diversity committee and does all the screening and hiring of law school applicants. The other brother oversees 2 departments and its employees.  They brought some things to my attention that I never thought of before.  It's complicated and sensitive to talk about, but opened my eyes to some of the obstacles faced out in this type of workplace as an African-American.

Looking back at last week, if the Imus thing and the Virginia Tech thing hit on the same day, the Imus thing might have been a blip, even though he was wrong...the media is out of control on so many levels. IMO

I wish the girls the best also and would love to see them have a great season next year and win it all.  I heard the coach had a book offer and Hillary Clinton went to visit them.

Shredit wrote:

When I first posted Imus, it was emotion on my part. So many of you responded, that it gave me a lot of time to reflect. Having said that, I would like to give a much less emotional thought.
These young girls ( the african americans ) Im being specific with, this may be the only chance of making a life for there themselves. They could be from the inner city or from areas that offer less opportunities for someone because of the color of their skin. I know that might be stereotyping, so be it. So many of them are never given options because of skin color. To go to school, get an education is priceless. To have some shock jock throw them under the bus for any reason angers me. I wish them the best, some of their own will never be afforded the same chance for a life that many of us take for granted.

Shredit

Looks like this is going to get uglier...........

Imus reportedly poised to sue CBS Radio
Fired radio host seeks to collect $40 million remaining on his contract
MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 12:09 p.m. CT May 2, 2007

Shock jock Don Imus reportedly plans to sue CBS Radio in an effort to collect the $40 million balance left on his contract, according to Fortune.com. Imus was fired by CBS on April 12 after making racially insensitive remarks about the Rutgers University women’s basketball team.

According to Fortune.com, Imus has hired Martin Garbus, a New York-based First Amendment attorney. The report says that Imus’ five-year contract, which was signed in 2006, paid him $10 million per year. A source told Fortune.com that Imus’ lawsuit will be based on language in the contract that encouraged the radio host to be confrontational and irreverent on the air. The source said Imus’ contract stipulates that the host must receive a warning before being fired.

CBS and Imus both declined to be interviewed by Fortune.com.

Imus had a long history of inflammatory remarks. But something struck a raw nerve when he targeted the Rutgers team — which includes a class valedictorian, a future lawyer and a musical prodigy — after they lost in the NCAA championship game.

The cantankerous Imus, once named one of the 25 Most Influential People in America by Time magazine and a member of the National Broadcasters Hall of Fame, issued repeated apologies as protests intensified. But it wasn’t enough as everyone from Barack Obama to Oprah Winfrey joined the criticism. After initially giving the radio host a two-week suspension, CBS President Les Moonves fired him on April 12.
© 2007 MSNBC Interactive

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

And then I hope the Rutgers team sues him for slander.

Blues ain't nothin' but a good woman gone bad.

I don't think you know the law...What did the team actually lose? Answer-a game, nothing more, nothing less.  Unlike baseball ("There's no crying in baseball"!), there is crying in basketball, and the best can be done regarding losing in this case is-CRY.  The rest is superfluous b.s., everyone involved pooped some.  Eagles song after Hell did not unthaw..."Get Over It"!

John M wrote:

And then I hope the Rutgers team sues him for slander.

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I'm not surprised about Imus suing.  At first, I thought satellite radio would pick him up like Howard Stern, then he wouldn't have had the loss of income issue. But Imus is too much of a hot potatoe now and with Sirius and XM merging, he is too risky...and honestly he didn't think what he said was much worse than all the banter he's tossed around before.  Imus is feeling like a big scapegoat for lots of problems in the black community.

After Russell Simmons, the owner of a big hip-hop label, made his announcement last week about cleaning up hip-hop, MSNBC interviewed Jesse Jackson.  He was asked why he never made any effort to clean up some of the raunchy lyrics in music and degrading things to women that hip-hop represents.  I still cannot believe his answer...I tried before with the Rolling Stones, referencing the lyrics to Brown Sugar!!  He looked like a fool, that was over 30 years ago!!!  He was given another chance to answer with a rephrased question, he could only say the same thing again about the Stones...really lame effort on his part. IMO

Imus's words were very harsh and extremely cruel and wrong!  I don't think he deserved to be fired with all the mixed signals and double standards out there.  Hopefully, only good will come out of all this mess and the airways will get cleaned up some.  I tuned in to an Imus replacement guest last week...a Philly talk show host, Michael Smerconish, he was excellent!  Some of his guests were: Jon Anderson, Ted Nugent..talked about gun control &  Virginia Tech, Lisa Scottoline, a John Grisham type of writer & Larry Kane, who traveled with the Beatles in the early days and has written books about the Beatles & just wrote a book about John Lennon... 

Imus probably has a decent case and maybe it will settle out of court for an undisclosed amount.  Maybe Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will make a donation to CBS's legal fees...kidding.

pcornell wrote:

Looks like this is going to get uglier...........

Imus reportedly poised to sue CBS Radio
Fired radio host seeks to collect $40 million remaining on his contract
MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 12:09 p.m. CT May 2, 2007

Shock jock Don Imus reportedly plans to sue CBS Radio in an effort to collect the $40 million balance left on his contract, according to Fortune.com. Imus was fired by CBS on April 12 after making racially insensitive remarks about the Rutgers University women’s basketball team.

According to Fortune.com, Imus has hired Martin Garbus, a New York-based First Amendment attorney. The report says that Imus’ five-year contract, which was signed in 2006, paid him $10 million per year. A source told Fortune.com that Imus’ lawsuit will be based on language in the contract that encouraged the radio host to be confrontational and irreverent on the air. The source said Imus’ contract stipulates that the host must receive a warning before being fired.

CBS and Imus both declined to be interviewed by Fortune.com.

Imus had a long history of inflammatory remarks. But something struck a raw nerve when he targeted the Rutgers team — which includes a class valedictorian, a future lawyer and a musical prodigy — after they lost in the NCAA championship game.

The cantankerous Imus, once named one of the 25 Most Influential People in America by Time magazine and a member of the National Broadcasters Hall of Fame, issued repeated apologies as protests intensified. But it wasn’t enough as everyone from Barack Obama to Oprah Winfrey joined the criticism. After initially giving the radio host a two-week suspension, CBS President Les Moonves fired him on April 12.
© 2007 MSNBC Interactive