Topic: Cinco De Mayo.....Salsa

One of my favorite hobbies is food!  I'll try anything, as long as I know humans can eat it.
Pot lucks at work, I live for. Cinco De Mayo is coming up, and every year I make salsa. I found a recipe about 15 years ago, and I've tweaked it over the years. Everyone seems to like it, so I thought I'd share it with you. I like it hot and spicy, you might want to back off on the peppers. Here we go:

Food processor or blender ( large enough to put all the ingredients in together )

1) Cilantro......1/3 of a bushell ( always fresh, no substitute will do! )
2) Red onion.....1/3
3) 2 cans  "Mexican Style" stewed tomatoes........14.5 oz. each
4) 1 can  " Ortega" brand, diced jalapenos..........4 oz. ( or fresh produce )
5) 1 tbl. spoon......" Cumin" ( the key ingredient from all other salsas! )
6) 3 tsp. sugar
7) 1 tsp. salt
8) 1 tsp. garlic powder ( I like it this way, dont have to touch the real stuff )
9) 1/2 tsp. pepper

Throw it all in at once. Use the " chop" or "pulse" button ( never on high! you will liquify it )

I've made it from start to finish in as fast as 3 minutes! Almost lost a finger though ( LOL )

Good luck........Uncle Shredit

Re: Cinco De Mayo.....Salsa

I'll be spending Cinco De Mayo with Joe and about 700 of my closest friends!
Salsa for Everybody!!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Bill S wrote:

Salsa for Everybody!!

Sounds Good!

4 (edited by Rocket 2007-04-19 22:43:32)

Bill S wrote:

Salsa for Everybody!!

In Illinoise??? Get a rope! Thatta way y'all be hangin' out without me! Darn!
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Bill S wrote:

Salsa for Everybody!!

You and I will be JOE CRAZY by Cinco De Mayo !!!    lol  lol

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

pattyluvsjoe wrote:
Bill S wrote:

Salsa for Everybody!!

That's Jose Loco para Cinco de Cuervo Pahtreeceeyah!

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:
pattyluvsjoe wrote:
Bill S wrote:

Salsa for Everybody!!

That's Jose Loco para Cinco de Cuervo Pahtreeceeyah!

Senor Rocket,   You must have alot of time on your hands...hey, let's go back to speaking Hawaiian again...............Pahtreeceeyah Jose Loco    a.k.a.  Paki

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Bill S wrote:

Salsa for Everybody!!

sounds like the show should be a gas

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

9 (edited by Matt 2007-04-21 07:27:47)

If your a fan of good hot 'n' spicy food you should try growing your own chillies. I've recently discovered that growing chillies is actually quite fun and interresting and this year im growing a good number of varieties including jalapenos big_smile

If your at all interrested or want some advice on how to do it here is a link to a great site with a great forum http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/pages/growingtips.html.

Matt smile

pattyluvsjoe wrote:
Bill S wrote:

Salsa for Everybody!!

Oh Patty...I think we're already Joe Crazy, another two weeks won't change that!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Sweeeeeet Shredit!  I love anything to do with cooking, baking or grilling.  I'll have to try your salsa recipe.  Growing up, I used to help my mom can and cook.  We had a garden that must have been an acre!  We made our own spaghetti sauce, but never salsa.  Can you grill to?

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Fretwork wrote:

Sweeeeeet Shredit!  I love anything to do with cooking, baking or grilling.  I'll have to try your salsa recipe.  Growing up, I used to help my mom can and cook.  We had a garden that must have been an acre!  We made our own spaghetti sauce, but never salsa.  Can you grill to?

I grill like a mother in the summertime, no special sauces though. We had our first "Octoberfest on the court last year, my next door neighbor has a killer bourbon rub he does. I'm getting the recipe from him, and it's my turn to host. Last year we had, greek, chinese, puerto rican, vietnamese, mexican food, and german of couse. Let me know if you like the salsa, I eye it all, so everything is approximate. Oh yeah I bought five cases of different brews, walked in the door at 3am. Was running the table saw at 8:30 with a terrible hangover!

Shred

Matt wrote:

If your a fan of good hot 'n' spicy food you should try growing your own chillies. I've recently discovered that growing chillies is actually quite fun and interresting and this year im growing a good number of varieties including jalapenos big_smile

If your at all interrested or want some advice on how to do it here is a link to a great site with a great forum http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/pages/growingtips.html.

Matt smile

Matt,

I also grow my own chilies. They are very easy to grow, and I find that I can add them to a number of dishes. I like using the Gypsy and Carmen peppers for a little crunch with a milder flavor.

I have a few fresh salsa recipes that I enjoy making, but they are a secret! If I told ya, I'd have to take away your Bonamusic!

If I can get my hands on some decent chilies this week, I am going to try and bring some salsa to Elgin along with jello shots.

See ya'll in Elgin!

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid