1 (edited by dknight16 2007-04-15 09:06:49)

Topic: New Gary Moore CD preview - Close As You Get

Great CD.  Gary continues to place more effort on his vocals and is nearly back to the Still Got The Blues and After Hours era when considering the smoothness, dynamics and overall tone of his voice.

The order of the songs is mid/up tempo followed by a ballad.  This pattern repeats throughout the entire CD.

If The Devil Made Whisky - A mid tempo, growling tune with a slightly abrasive guitar riff.  Nice slide guitar work (which is always a treat for me).  It's a great lead off track.

Trouble At Home - Slow bluesy ballad with an organ backing up the melody.  Very dark and moody solo.

Thirty Days - Up tempo number with an infectious groove.  The solo fits the song perfectly (you'll "whoo" right along with Gary).  Fun.

Hard Times - Mid tempo shuffle with harmonica coloring the song throughout.  The guitar solo is played with alot of passion and energy.  You can almost see Gary making the faces.  Great song.

Have You Heard - Back to the ballad, and again with organ backing.  The solo is more passionate in this one than Trouble At Home.  Nice.

Eyesight To The Blind - A recognizable cover tune.  Gary's take is fairly predictable, but engaging.  The organ is present, but a bit more in the background as Gary's guitar volume donimates it.  Very good solo helps make the song distinctly Gary's.

Evenin' - Another ballad.  Starts out with just a percussion beat, then the rest of the band joins in.  This one probably has Gary's most vunerable vocal and delicate solo.  Dreamy.

Nowhere Fast - Slow tempo song that is essentially a ballad I suppose.  Not as delicate as Evenin', but not as dark and moody as Trouble At Home.  Here is where I'm beginning to think that this is not the "back to the rock blues" everyone had thought this CD would be.  Ha!

Checkin' Up On My Baby - Harmonica driven mid tempo.  The harmonica tone is devastating.  Gary's extended guitar solo becomes an extention of the harmonica tone and comes on very smoothly.  Harmonica comes back together with the guitar for the outro.  This would be a great song to see live.  Awesome.

I Had A Dream - Very slow tempo ballad with a soaring vocal for the chorus.  My buddy always comments on songs like this one.  He compares the depression and despair in Gary's voice during the verses to "wanting to slit his wrists".  Passionate.

Sundown - A rare treat!  This one is an acoustic resonator slide guitar number that is just Gary and his guitar.  It is a unique and perfect way to close the CD.

The CD runs just over 51 minutes, which is nearly identical to the last CD, and 10 minutes longer than the "way too short" Power Of The Blues.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Re: New Gary Moore CD preview - Close As You Get

Now that is a review. Thanks Knight.

Take care everyone. And if I don't meet you no more in this world
Then ill, I'll meet you in the next one and don't be late, don't be late

I don't suppose you all know when Gary's new CD is being released?????? Well do ya? smile

Nothin' but the Blues

lvbluesboy wrote:

I don't suppose you all know when Gary's new CD is being released?????? Well do ya? smile

May 21st in the UK, June in the U.S. and Japan.

Nightwatcher's House Of Rock
http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/
Now featured on Planet Rock, The Chicago Sun Times and The Mog Music Network
Also featured on antiMUSIC's RockNewsinfo at http://www.antimusic.com/rocknews/

Great review man bang on accurate...

Much better overall than Old New Ballads Blues but they coulda combined the best of those two into an awesome 80 minute CD IMHO

So now Gary please a celtic rock CD (with Downey of course) or an ambient instrumental showcasing all the styles you play soooo well...

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

Can't wait  !!  Love Gary Moore... Joe and him jamming together would be worth the trip anywhere .. Just give me a heads -up ...lol.. JBrules