Topic: Question for my Belgian Friends

Hi Guys.

Not wanting to start the usual rant from both sides of the camp, but is it true that smoking has now been banned from all indoor places in Belgium ?

What about the rest of mainland Europe ?

Re: Question for my Belgian Friends

Tobacco: worst discovery man ever made.

Blues ain't nothin' but a good woman gone bad.

John M wrote:

Tobacco: worst discovery man ever made.

Provocative........................but if someone could just let me know..............

Ges wrote:

Hi Guys.

Not wanting to start the usual rant from both sides of the camp, but is it true that smoking has now been banned from all indoor places in Belgium ?

It's a serious question.

Anyone enlighten me ??

Thanks.

Ges wrote:

Hi Guys.

Hey Ges,

I live here in the states, but this web site may have the answers you're looking for.  It looks like smoking has been banned from the workplace and from resturant areas where food is served.

http://www.epha.org/a/1941

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

Ges,  in Holland smoking is not allowed in public places [schools, hospitals, librarys].

Hi Susan and Annelies

Many thanks for your help.
The web site is very useful and I've bookmarked it for future reference.

What's the situation in the States ?

Ges wrote:

Hi Susan and Annelies

Hey Ges,

In the U.S., smoking laws vary from state to state.  I live in Florida and it's getting pretty much smoke free here.  Smoking is still allowed here in clubs and bars where food is not being served, but is banned in most enclosed buildings. 

Here is another link I found. Tells you about each state's smoking laws.

http://www.smokefreeworld.com/usa.shtml

Susan

susan wrote:
Ges wrote:

Hi Susan and Annelies

Hey Ges,

In the U.S., smoking laws vary from state to state.  I live in Florida and it's getting pretty much smoke free here.  Smoking is still allowed here in clubs and bars where food is not being served, but is banned in most enclosed buildings. 

Here is another link I found. Tells you about each state's smoking laws.

http://www.smokefreeworld.com/usa.shtml

Susan

You're a star.
Many thanks.

Here in germany they still think about it, but I think they'll soon decide against smoking in bars and restaurants. I didn't know this was also an issue in other countries! Is it allowed in England? I guess it's hard for peolple who smoke, and I certainly can't understand why they don't ban the commercials for cigarettes first, that's so hypocritical, whatever one thinks about smoking in general!

Peace,
Lui

Peace and Love!

One of the best laws ever passed period. Hate cigs. all my friends smoked growing up. Without checking on the web, has to be a least 15 years since being banned at bars, rest, food stores, and eventually all public places. Going on vacation in other states you dont realize how good you got it.

I'm not a smoker myself but don't mind if people do smoke.
But when you got a whole cafe of people smoking than it's a little to much for me.(I know that you can expect that in a cafe)
The benefits of a non smoking public place is that you don't smel like cigarettes when you go home. Aspecially my hair. Really hate that when you go to bed and smell like cigarettes.
And me as a nurse on a cardiology ward know the result of smoking.
Don't get me wrong everybody should do what they wanna do.

Lui wrote:

Here in germany they still think about it, but I think they'll soon decide against smoking in bars and restaurants. I didn't know this was also an issue in other countries! Is it allowed in England? I guess it's hard for peolple who smoke, and I certainly can't understand why they don't ban the commercials for cigarettes first, that's so hypocritical, whatever one thinks about smoking in general!

Peace,
Lui

hi Lui

From 1st July smoking will be banned in England in all public enclosed places INCLUDING bars and restaurants.
It is already banned in Scotland and Wales.
Ireland has had the ban for a few years.

14 (edited by Ges 2007-04-22 11:14:46)

Shredit wrote:

One of the best laws ever passed period. Hate cigs. all my friends smoked growing up. Without checking on the web, has to be a least 15 years since being banned at bars, rest, food stores, and eventually all public places. Going on vacation in other states you dont realize how good you got it.

I understand the comment about how you don't realize how good you got it until you go somewhere it isn't banned.........although in England at the moment it's the other way around and I realise how awful we got it after I've been to Ireland or Scotland.

I really don't mind people smoking - it's their choice. Just don't force it on those who don't want to.

Marianne wrote:

I'm not a smoker myself but don't mind if people do smoke.
But when you got a whole cafe of people smoking than it's a little to much for me.(I know that you can expect that in a cafe)
The benefits of a non smoking public place is that you don't smel like cigarettes when you go home. Aspecially my hair. Really hate that when you go to bed and smell like cigarettes.
And me as a nurse on a cardiology ward know the result of smoking.
Don't get me wrong everybody should do what they wanna do.

Marianne,
They ban smoking in and around the hospital in my city - including the parking lot. That's going a little too far. I feel sorry for the people that didn't have all the facts before and are smokers and are hooked but there is no reason for a young person to start smoking today.

How crazy it may sounds but at our hospital the have a little "glass box"where people can smoke. But even smokers dislike being in there. You are allowed outside the hospital to smoke.(on the parking spaces) so everybody is smoking there. Even the doctors (they should know better. wink )

I don't know how this works in Europe and the rest of the world, but I do know that some companys in the U.S. will not hire you if you are a smoker and they do not allow smoking anywhere on the property.  Now that we know, smoking causes so many heart and lung diseases, these companies get much better rates on their medical insurance if they can guarantee the employees do not smoke.  Smoking is also being been banned on many of our beaches. 

I have friends that still smoke, but I quit smoking 13 years ago for the last time.  It took me 5 or 6 tries until I finally realized that for me, one puff was the difference between being a smoker and a non-smoker.  I absolutely loved to smoke and it was really hard to quit, but I used the patch and took it one day at a time.  With alot of encouragement from my family & my non-smoking friends I finally did it.

Marianne, I hear you when you talk about going to a club and coming home smelling like smoke.  Especially my hair.  When I was a smoker, I didn't even notice that.  Now, it's so obvious.  Oh, and Lui, there are no cigarette commercials on TV in the U.S. that I've seen.  I think they were banned many years ago. 

Interesting to see how things work in the rest of the world.  wink

Susan