Topic: Brad Kelsey-New Blues Artist-Blues Ain't Dead

Check out this young blues musician on youtube! There's a solo acoustic number called "the blues ain't dead" and a couple covers: Voodoo Child and Just Got Paid. Pretty cool stuff, check it out.

Blues Ain't Dead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIhq7DZDNXg

Voodoo Child:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhoUy1lweQU

Just Got Paid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsRT3SEcA6o

Re: Brad Kelsey-New Blues Artist-Blues Ain't Dead

Personally, I can't stand to hear from Brad Kelsey. Theres nothing really wrong with playing SRV and ZZ Top forever, but he passes the line.  On his album he takes old blues songs, changes the lyrics and calls them his own.  Its disgraceful.  For example his song "My My" is just the old song Thunderbird with the lyrics of "get high, high high..." to "oh my, my, my" and so on.  Or take his song "Latin Lady",  it starts out and its like "oh hes using a standard pattern on this one, no big deal." He gets into the song and bam, its SRV's "Love Struck Baby" But wait!  The words are changed to "shes my little latin lady"  I find it completely ridiculous that he would do that and I wish strongly he could find his own voice instead of using other peoples, changing it slightly, and calling it his own.

dont get me wrong, he knows how to play some Stevie, but Im afraid thats about all
just my opinion,
kyle

Theres the link to the CD, is you are curious to hear it yourself.
http://cdbaby.com/cd/bradkelsey

I defy anyone on here to convince me that "My My" isnt a complete swipe of "Thunderbird"

-Kyle

I think KYLE is a little jealous. no matter what you think of Brad kelsey he still plays and sings the blues great!! Maybe Kyle enjoys taking the time to to be a hater. Plus good news or bad news people will still check out BRAD KELSEY, its funny  actually that anyone would even take the time to listen and write such a negetive remark!

I think Kelsey sucks too. If I wanted to hear an SRV clone, I'd listen to Sean Chambers. He sounds like him playing and singing.

Blues ain't nothin' but a good woman gone bad.

Kyle himself is a pretty amazing guitarist himself. I've heard him. He's good. Plus, he's never one to say something if he doesn't mean it. Lay off my bro Kyle. He's a cool cat.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

whoever jon and deezer are their opinion means nothing to me. all i know is that kyle has nothing on line to back himself up. which means how you say he plays means that you two must just be friends. any way i really have heard brad play and i know for a fact that the cd you all are complaining about was done almost four years ago and was never meant for boys like you. it really was just meant for his family and friends, but people liked it so he started to sell it so why not ''lay off my bro''.

whoever jon and deezer are their opinion means nothing to me. all i know is that kyle has nothing on line to back himself up. which means how you say he plays means that you two must just be friends. any way i really have heard brad play and i know for a fact that the cd you all are complaining about was done almost four years ago and was never meant for boys like you. it really was just meant for his family and friends, but people liked it so he started to sell it so why not ''lay off my bro''.

Must be his old lady.

Blues ain't nothin' but a good woman gone bad.

Maria, welcome to the forum and don't be riled by the "boys". This is a friendly place and every one has their favorites. There are many guitar players on this site and they do tend to have stronger opinions. Always glad to get new leads and stand by your convictions.  Can you smell the testosterone?

I guess everyone here is just spoilt by hearing Joe,who is a master, maybe Brad will be a master some day too. smile

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

12 (edited by Kyle 2007-03-29 19:25:22)

I think you should calm down, thats what I think. So let me get this straight, you are furious at me for showing whats wrong with his CD because it wasn't meant for me to hear?  What do you think is funny about listening to music?  I saw him a while back opening for Joe and I after he mentioned several times of songs that were "his" I looked him up at home.  I see nothing wrong with giving opinions of music.  If his CD was excellent, I sure would have said so.  There are no two ways about it, that CD is ridiculous.  I would never dream of speaking so negatively about someone who was putting out there own music with mediocre results, but stealing other peoples and calling it your own?  That just doesn't work.  Theres barely any original material and multiple rip offs.  Perhaps you have never listened to the real songs to understand, but I think if you did, theres no possible way you could miss it.

I was told that Brad is recording a new CD and that it will finally be a representation of Brad as an original musician.  Im looking foward to hearing it, I think he has a great potential.

Not trying to start anything further, just trying to defend myself from ridiculous personal attacks and ridicule,
kyle

edit: fixing typos, wouldn't want to get yelled at for bad typing

13 (edited by Deezer 2007-03-29 19:48:54)

Hey, hey. Let's not turn this into a thing. Just because he doesn't like an artist doesn't mean he's wrong, or that you're wrong. I wasn't slamming Brad Kelsey. I wasn't slamming you either. I was just saying that you had Kyle pegged all wrong when you called him a hater. The thing about this board that's cool is that there are different tastes, even within the context of the blues. And the cool thing about this board is that you will get people that will tell you straight up how they feel. Now, I've never listened to Brad, so I'm not going to comment. Not my place, would be ignorant of me. Just defending my buddy. In fact, this is the first time I've ever seen him get in an argument on a message board. Now I understand how a person can get riled up when said person digs an artist and another person "disses" them, believe me, I've been there, done that, and will probably do it again. I hope that you continue to post here, for this board has a lot to offer, not just in the world of Joe Bonamassa, but in other great artists both in blues and outside the world of blues. John M, on the other hand, is very matter-of-fact, and will tell you how he thinks it is, but you always know how you stand, no on the fence with him. This probably will not be the last argument/debate you have. Enjoy them. They're pretty fun if you don't take them seriously, as evidenced by me and zoso's little argument about John Mayer or the White Stripes being more successful in turning today's kids onto guitar players.

Keep bluesin',

Chris

The last thing Ill add is that I feel like someone should be able to give their opinion of an artist without being attacked for thinking so on a personal level.  It's not like everyone has to agree on the same music, the world would suck if that were true, but its just too much insult someones character for what they like musically.

15 (edited by maria 2007-03-29 22:06:39)

well i'm think i'm  done taking the time to read any more. i just really think its disrespectful to call any one ''clone''or someone is stealing someones music. and if you really have seen brad kelsey play for joe you would have notice that two people in the front row were wearing brads shirts. i think its great to see young guy tring to keep the blues going. if you can say that for yourself you wouldnt say such negative remarks.but at the same time i am realiizing that none of this really means anything its just crazy opinions. but before i go i do have two more things to say to mr. kyle I DO KNOW MUSIC!!i just especially have deep respect for anyone who plays the BLUES. and also i didnt think i had hurt kyles little feelings,oops am i bad.

MARIA  (and no i'm not his "old Lady"althoughI wouldnt mind if i was)

I guess, in the end, opinions are like buttholes: everyone's got one, and they all stink.

So many people play that Stevie Ray Vaughan style, that it's gotten awfully stale. Stevie hasn't really been affected, but like Hendrix, after he died so many people copied his style. That's where the whole Stevie Ray Vaughanabe thing came from. I think there has been a real push by the blues community at large to kind of get people to move in new directions with music. That's where you see guys like Joe, Derek Trucks, ect., who are approaching it from a new angle. Some people get a little upset about it. That's because they're passionate about the music and the future of the blues. Much like you got upset.

Again, never heard of Brad Kelsey, but if he sounds like so many others who have gotten the "SRV clone" label, he will have a hard time getting out from under that. Look at Kenny Wayne Shepherd. He's gone through so many different styles, from what he was originally to going to a more rock direction and going back to traditional blues, but he still gets the "SRV" thing. If he's releasing an album that's supposed to go in a different direction or showing who he really is, I'm all for it. I hope he succeeds. We need more blues guys who are trying to do something different with the medium. Rock on.

Wow, i felt my blood pressure rising. Why dont you all throw back a few beers and chill !

Well I suppose the easiest way to finish this would be a good ole "agree to disagree."  I can dig it.

-kyle