Topic: Brad Delp of Boston

Lead singer of Boston passed away yesterday.

Bradley E. Delp (June 12, 1951 – March 9, 2007) was an American musician best known as the lead vocalist of the rock band Boston.

Born in Danvers, Massachusetts, Delp's interest in music began at age thirteen, when he bought a guitar after seeing the Beatles perform on The Ed Sullivan Show. In 1970, he was making heating elements for Mr. Coffee machines at Danvers company Hot-Watt when he met Boston founder Tom Scholz, guitarist Barry Goudreau and drummer Jim Masdea while playing in a cover band.

Delp auditioned as lead vocalist for Boston, and got the job immediately. He also contributed back-up vocals, guitar, and keyboards on the Boston albums, and also played the harmonica. His partnership with guitarist Tom Scholz led to a string of hit songs.

On the 1994 album Walk On, Fran Cosmo replaced Delp, but the album did not sell as well. Delp later shared vocals with Cosmo in concert, where Delp said Cosmo covered "the really tough high parts."

Delp was also lead vocalist for the band Return to Zero, a band created by former Boston member Barry Goudreau. Delp also performed with Goudreau on a recent album.

Later, Delp played in a Beatles cover band called Beatlejuice when he had time off from the band.

Delp was married to Micki Delp and had two children with her prior to their divorce. Delp had been a vegetarian for over thirty years and had contributed to a number of charitable causes. [3] Delp was set to marry longtime girlfriend Pamela Sullivan during a two day break in Boston's 2007 summer tour.

Delp was found dead in his home in Atkinson, New Hampshire, on March 9, 2007. That day, the official Web site for the band was taken down and replaced with the statement: "We've just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll."

WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE~~~JIMI HENDRIX

Re: Brad Delp of Boston

Great singer. R.I.P.

Oh my god, he was one of the greatest vocalists ever.  sad

Mary

LOL-ler-tastic.

Very sad news sad.....  I was lucky enough to see them front row at the old Boston Garden in the eighties, they sold-out 8 nites .. R.I.P. Brad thanks for the great tunes !!!

Very sad news for us here in the Boston area.Being a Beatles fan i've had the pleasure of seeing Brad a few times with his favorite side project Beatlejuice.He was one on the most down to earth musicians i've ever met.When he would be on a break at a local club playing with his Beatlejuice band he would always come out and meet and mingle wtih his fans and thank them for coming out to see  the band.Many times i've seen people with Boston albums line up and Brad would graciously sign them.He was a great guy and will be missed.

That's sad news, I just had my copy of Boston's first in my hands a little while ago. I have two friends in my hometown who played guitar and bass with Boston in the nineties. They're probably feelin' down tonight.

Bluesin' in Benicia

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

This is really sad, especially since he was about to remarry and he was actually pretty young.  The newspaper hadn't said what the cause of death was, but said it was not suspicious. Isn't there a commercial out right now with one of Boston's songs?

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

great singer..shame..anyone seen Eddie Van Halen lately?? he is making Keioth Richards look healthy
scottphilly

I still can't believe Brad Delp is actually dead- he is one of my favorite singers- he had such a distinctive voice... He'll be sorely missed.

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Angela wrote:

This is really sad, especially since he was about to remarry and he was actually pretty young.  The newspaper hadn't said what the cause of death was, but said it was not suspicious. Isn't there a commercial out right now with one of Boston's songs?

It's the Panasonic commercial - "Peace of Mind."

why this wasnt all over the news is beyond me.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Hi David-thanks, they had a lot of hits on the radio.  A remarkable voice for sure!!!

David wrote:
Angela wrote:

It's the Panasonic commercial - "Peace of Mind."

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

There aren't many rock stars whose band's debut album sells nearly 20 million copies thanks to eight tracks that continue to get played on rock radio more than 30 years later. And there are even fewer who are so anonymous they could slip by most people unnoticed at the mall or even at one of their own concerts.

But that's the story of Boston singer Brad Delp, who on Friday died at age 55 of undisclosed causes after leading one of the most understated rock and roll lifestyles of all time. Delp was the man who lent a muscular voice to Boston's 1976 self-titled debut, a tour de force that went platinum in three months on its way to becoming the fastest-selling debut album by any American group in history. The LP spawned such rock-radio staples as "More Than a Feeling," "Peace of Mind," "Foreplay/ Long Time" and "Rock and Roll Band."

But despite Delp's signature bombastic vocals, it was the band's founder, perfectionist musical mastermind Tom Scholz who became the group's star and media focal point in the ensuing years. Delp, who was working at a factory that made heating coils for Mr. Coffee machines and playing in Boston rock clubs in the early '70s before joining the band of the same name, was, by all accounts, an unassuming nice guy who lacked the splattering excess associated with many rock godheads of the past.

And despite the group's stunning success, Delp never became the kind of household name or recognizable pinup face as other 1970s rock sensations such as Peter Frampton or Queen's Freddie Mercury — or even the more anonymous REO Speedwagon and Styx. The latter at least had the benefit of the burgeoning video revolution of the early 1980s to get some belated face time with America.

Part of that superstar anonymity was simply a matter of timing, according to Geoff Mayfield, director of charts and senior analyst at Billboard magazine. "They were not unlike a lot of other bands that came up after them, at a time when the record companies became focused on selling albums rather than primarily singles," he said. "Boston was also one of the first beneficiaries of radio consulting, when rock stations began getting programmed by outside companies and that album tested really well."

And, whereas outrageous behavior was the key ingredient to the personality of many rock bands of the '60s and early '70s, Mayfield said Boston were harbingers of an era when that was less important.

Another part of Delp's anonymity might have had to do with Boston's erratic career. Due to Scholz's notorious meticulousness in the studio, the band didn't release a follow-up to its smash debut until 1978 (an eternity at that time), and following a tour for Don't Look Back, the band went into hiatus during a prolonged battle with its record company.

By the time Boston's third album, Third Stage, came out in 1986, rock's musical landscape had completely changed and new wave had taken over from the studio-overkill rock sound of the '70s. The album — with Delp and Scholz as the only original remaining members — was a lesser hit and Delp eventually quit when it was clear a follow-up would be years in the making.

Delp bided his time working on albums with former Boston guitarist Barry Goudreau in the side project RTZ, then rejoined Boston in 1994 for the tour in support of the band's poorly received fourth effort, Walk On, which was the first not to feature Delp's vocals. He was back at the helm for 2002's Corporate America, which was another dud on arrival. Though the band was rumored to be working on a new album with Delp on vocals as well as a summer tour, Delp had been gigging in between as the lead singer of a Boston Beatles tribute band called Beatlejuice.

Another reason Delp may not have reached instant face or name recognition was the simple fact that he was never featured on the cover of one of the group's albums. Artist Roger Huyssen, who painted the iconic image of a laser blasting alien-spaceship guitars on the band's debut album — a motif that would continue on subsequent albums, though not by Huyssen's hand — said the band simply didn't have the name recognition to appear on the cover at first. "The cover became an icon for their music and there was never any talk of putting them on the cover because they were new and they had no say," said Huyssen, who only met the group briefly before turning in his cover idea.

Huyssen, who has designed hundreds of album covers, as well as posters for "Saturday Night Fever" and "Star Trek," said he still gets calls in the middle of the night from fans "of a certain age" who consider Boston to be rock gods — even if the most prevalent image in their head is of giant glowing guitars and not the bearded Delp.

Some of those super-fans would come out to see Delp play in Beatlejuice, which must have been one of the most low-key side gigs ever from a guy who toured the world and sold more than 30 million records. For the past decade, the group would play the Somerville, Massachusetts, bar Jimmy D's every few months. In fact, Beatlejuice were slated to perform last weekend and had already set up their equipment when bar manager Eric Pierce got the call Friday afternoon about Delp's death.

"Some people knew he was in the band [Boston] and some didn't, but the first thing anyone ever said about him was he was one of the nicest people you'd ever meet, a sweet, quiet guy," Pierce said. Even when playing Johnny D's, which holds a few hundred patrons — not the thousands or tens of thousands he once commanded with Boston — Pierce said Delp wouldn't talk up his Boston connection and could often go unrecognized by many of the bar's patrons.

"He was definitely kind of anonymous," he said.

This report is provided by MTV News

I'm full. thanks for the all you eat buffet Stu...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

From today's Boston Herald...

CONCORD, N.H. -- The family of Brad Delp, the lead singer for the band Boston, said his death was a suicide.

”He was a man who gave all he had to give to everyone around him, whether family, friends, fans or strangers,” the family said in a statement relayed by police Wednesday. ”He gave as long as he could, as best he could, and he was very tired. We take comfort in knowing that he is now, at last, at peace.”

Delp, 55, died Friday at his Atkinson home.

Toxicology tests by the state medical examiner’s office showed that Delp committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning, said Lt. William Baldwin. Police said Delp had sealed himself inside a bathroom with two charcoal grills sometime between 11:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday afternoon, when he was found by fiancee Pamela Sullivan.

Delp also left two notes taped to a door and letters to his family and Sullivan. Baldwin said police do not know the contents of the letters.

The family’s statement said Sullivan, Delp’s children and their mother, Delp’s ex-wife Micki Delp, were grateful for the sympathy they had received.

WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE~~~JIMI HENDRIX

16 (edited by David 2007-03-14 20:33:23)

That's very sad to lose all hope.

http://a1946.v8519a.c8519.g.vm.akamaist … 29_1_2.wma