Re: 'Tis a sad day in "Strat-land" for Strat/Joe fans!!

CarljMD wrote:
billyclay wrote:
Spider wrote:

Do you know how to search? If not learn how to.

Actually buy Joes DVD "A New Day Yesterday". He plays the strat in that video.

Thanks for your concern CathySiler, OH! Your name is Spider...  hmmm :^)
Yea bro I've been using Google for a little while now...

I think he was referring to the "search" option here on the forum

billyclay wrote:

I have the Rockpalast video, but I need pics...
Thanks for the advice though~

He was referring to the "A New Day Yesterday Live" video, during which Joe plays the guitar in question.

Good luck.

Hey Carl...
Thanks for the heads up but just about anyway to search for a picture, I have...  I was more so looking for a picture by itself...  At least a nice closeup...  Appreciate everyones and still yet anyone's help...

...why isn't this thread dead yet!? hmm

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

this thread is as alive as the fender stratocatser baby.

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

...why isn't this thread dead yet!? hmm

My thoughts exactly my good man

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

203 (edited by billyclay 2008-08-19 05:07:23)

Hey All,

Still would appreciate any links or actual photo's of Joe's Gold Sparkle Strat.  Hey Joe I bet you have some pics...  Heh!!!  From what I can tell you think it's a piece of junk anyway... right?!?!  Either way Gibson or Fender you are totally awesome bro!  Hope to get some pics from whoever just might have any!!!  Thanks!!!

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Hey Everybody,
          Two reasons actually.. First was the constant comparison to SRV (something that I am truly honored by  but not a fair assessment of the way I play) Second reason I used to spend hours and a hours trying capture this tone I had in my head. When I play the Gibson it just appears naturally. I grew up playing Les Pauls and trying to sound like Paul Kossoff.  It was only due to Bloodline that I need a thinner sound to cut through a 5 piece ensemble.   I guess there is one more reason as well... Due to the fact that Fender copied the gold strat exactly down to its wear marks and such.. Without asking or giving me the slightest bit of credit for it.. I found that to be a very unclassy arrogant move on their part..  And for that reason I have banned any Fender products from being on stage with me... Example If Rick for some reason has a Fender beach towel to keep his hands dry, we will provide him one that says Gibson...  Yes I can be that petty sometimes.... Cant we all :-)
Joe Bonamassa

Wow, that is really classless on the part of Fender. Joe, I thought your radio interview on XM was outstanding and the way you explained your influence as being more "British blues" opened my ears to listening to Kossof a bit closer. No matter what you play, you are unique.

#275 JB LP

Joes still playing strats here and there...
at 2:14 you can see it clearly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GneGpUmtd0Q

puppetz323 wrote:

Joes still playing strats here and there...
at 2:14 you can see it clearly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GneGpUmtd0Q

That video is pretty old - shot almost a year ago I'm guessing.

Wow cool clip! Thanks for posting!

"Music is the only thing that you can share with a million million people and you don't lose, you gain. It helps you to get energy and to live long, because when your soul is very happy then you don't want to die." - Ali Akbar Khan

Yeah Great Clip!
I however wouldn't assume that that's Joes' strat or rig that it is leaning up against.

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

Hi,

Maybe someone asked this already.  Just wondering, was the Gold Strat given to Fender to be Specked for a JB model, and they just copied it and put it out?  Or did they sneak backstage and speck it without permission?

I'm surprised this thread is still going....anyway,

I see that theres 4 of the Fessler built Gold Sparkle Strats for sale on feebay. Plus a couple more that seriously look like bass boats.

Just did a search, and stumbled across this

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

You Know, funny you should ask but lately I have been toying with the idea of auctioning one a year and donating the money to the blues in the schools. There is a cost involved that I hate the school having to bear. So to start a fund that subsidizes the blues foundations efforts would be cool.   I have many guitars, and I have been collecting for many years.  Each guitar has a story and a experience to go with it.  Kinda like my Photo album so to speak. With that said my collection is bordering on "Hundreds" of guitars. I think they will eventually  deserve a better home than a closet or storage room.  We just did a photo shoot with my friend Rick Gould for Vintage guitar magizine.  We did  30 guitars  in my collection. I picked em at radom from the different categories.  I hope you enjoy the upcoming article and "hopefully" cover.  Believe it or not the gold strat didnt make it.    Fender is making a replica of it now in the Custom Shop.. It looks exactly like it  without the girl sticker on it..    anyway I dont think that answered your question but just a thought, I am not ready to part with one of the Kids yet...
Joe Bonamassa

by the way there are several live guitars floating around...
1 Red Les Paul used on ANDY Live and DVD
2 Fender Blackie strat also used on ANDY Live and DVD
3 My original black Chandler Lectroslide..
  I wont tell you who has them but they are out there..
3 different  owners.. 2 in Texas, one in Maryland thats all I will say...

Didn't realize  " Fender is making a replica of it now in the Custom Shop.. It looks exactly like it  without the girl sticker on it..   "

I know it's an old thread, but I just wanted to say one funny fact, my drummer always says that Joe is SRV with a Les Paul !?!?! I really never heard much SRV influence in Joe's music....I guess that's the reason why we kicked drummer from band (or because he thought Rory is boring:))

Guitar_thrill wrote:

I know it's an old thread, but I just wanted to say one funny fact, my drummer always says that Joe is SRV with a Les Paul !?!?! I really never heard much SRV influence in Joe's music....I guess that's the reason why we kicked drummer from band (or because he thought Rory is boring:))

I think there was a strong SRV influence during the first years of his carreer. It was a great choice to change to Les Paul guitars, i think this allowed him to find his own style and sound.

Mostly when he did those Texas shuffles, which let's face it, Stevie just mastered those. So it's really hard to not go into Stevie territory on songs like You Upset Me Baby and I Know Where I Belong. But at the same time, for those, he had songs like A New Day Yesterday, Burning Hell, Miss You Hate You, and Colour & Shape which were not in that style.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

215 (edited by Guitar_thrill 2010-01-02 22:26:14)

Tripod wrote:

I think there was a strong SRV influence during the first years of his carreer. It was a great choice to change to Les Paul guitars, i think this allowed him to find his own style and sound.

Ok there was influence in some songs,but  he had New Day Yesterday, Colour and shape (which was my favorite song back than) etc...the thing is that my drummer saw Joe playing on a Les Paul I think, Just got paid or something like that, and said it's same as SRV.... roll smile

216 (edited by Tripod 2010-01-03 02:48:47)

Guitar_thrill wrote:
Tripod wrote:

Ok there was influence in some songs,but  he had New Day Yesterday, Colour and shape (which was my favorite song back than) etc...the thing is that my drummer saw Joe playing on a Les Paul I think, Just got paid or something like that, and said it's same as SRV.... roll smile

Then your drummer needs to learn a little bit more about SRV, blues, and music in general. smile

With the les paul, Joe has been able to get his own identity. I think he left SRV's influence. If your friend would have said that there's a small similarity with Eric Johnson, Gary Moore or the young Eric Clapton, it would make more sense.