Topic: Rolling Stones Guitar gods

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/covers … cks/page/1

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

Re: Rolling Stones Guitar gods

Umm...I have just one question. What makes these three guitar "gods"? Yes, they're good but I wouldn't rank them as "gods".

After you hear Joe you know what a true guitar god really is.

Nancy in Chicago

I'm just saying.

Well said Nancy!!

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

Personally, Derek Trucks is a guitar god. Absolutely amazing what he does on the guitar.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Anybody know who the other 22 are on the list??  If it wasn't so flippity-flop cold out I would walk somewhere and look thru a copy.........Joe on this list of 22 ??????  Of course, my Top 3 would have Joe in it as #1 Guitar God.... I have seen and met Derek Trucks,  he was very very good and was also a very warm kind-hearted gentle-man.  The other two I couldn't tell you a thing about...never listened to either one that I know of.....Joe, my friend, you are always #1 to me......and I'm not even prejudice about it....the truth is the truth....pattyluvsjoe

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

I agree that Derek Trucks is a guitar god and definitely one of the best guitarists around today imo. I saw him last night with Clapton and he really stole the show. His playing was phenomenal and unlike most guitarists he isn't just playing licks, everything he plays sounds like him and he manages to mix blues, jazz, rock, gospel vocal and Indian influences into something all his own. Hes really a musician as opposed to just being a guitar player. What he plays transcends guitar vocabulary and takes it to another place. Whether hes playing slide or regular lead playing his solos are melodically really intertesting, lyrical and build to climaxes.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

7 (edited by Redhouse 2007-02-09 22:22:29)

Where's Joe????????? I mean come on, WTF Rolling Stone, Joe very easily smokes almost all of those guy's. Half of those guy's couldn't play a good guitar solo if their life depended on it.

I agree, Derek Trucks is phenomenal, he really has a cool style and tone.

If you read the guitar forums like the Gear Page, Fender forum's and few more. Joe is really very highly talked about. I swear on the Gear Page, which is full of real musicians, there's not a week that goes by that a 1/2 dozen thread's about Joe pop up and people are really praising him and going on and on about what an awesome guitar player he is.

8 (edited by ohiodawg13 2007-02-10 05:02:16)

THAT'S ABSURD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I remember when RS paid more attention to music than political views and chic designer advertising. Needless to say I haven't subscribed or even picked up a copy in 5 yrs. I long for the days when they were based in SF and printed on newspaper stock. I am curious too as to who the others are?

Still Rainin' Still Dreamin'

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Hey all, remember, were dealing with RS here. RS is like MTV nowadays!! Im sure Warren Haynes is on that list? Probably not. He doesnt fit that MTV, RS image. One thing is good though about the article. At least they are aknoledging the guitar player again.

Rob

All my tears they fell like rain, cant you hear them falling?
Led Zeppelin: Since I been Loving You

10 (edited by Angela 2007-02-10 10:54:34)

I picked up that link from over at the Clapton site, lots of Trucks fans there. My son's copy of RS came in the mail afterwards.  The rest of the list is a mixed bag.  Guitarist I know: Warren Haynes, Tom Morello, Jack White, Luther Dickinson (North Miss. Allstars)
The other guitarists are from: Tool, Wilco, My Morning Jacket, Pearl Jam, RadioHead, Mars Volta, sleep, Mars Onfire and Kaki KIng

If you go to the last page you can get to a link to view the 3 guitarists in a photo shoot and playing guitar, also you'll see comments from RS readers, a couple people mentioned Joe's name.

I thought this comment was funny, even though I think all three guys are talented, it's more of a statement about RS.
"
Stallion | 2/9/2007, 12:56 pm EST

and another thing….RS is purely a mainstream music print medium. Using a term such as “guitar god” so loosely is what they do best. If this article was printed in Vintage Guitar, or Guitar Mag, the editor would be jobless before you could say Jessica Simpson."

And Patty-John Frusciante is the from the Red Hot Chili Peppers-treat yourself to "Stadium Arcadium", their latest release.  If you don't like it, I'll buy it back from you, promise.  I'm always borrowing my son's, we could use another copy.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

"If you go to the last page you can get to a link to view the 3 guitarists in a photo shoot and playing guitar, also you'll see comments from RS readers, a couple people mentioned Joe's name."

That was me - lol. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the link to work that's the solo from ANDY.

Hey Angela,  My son has Stadium Arcadium (no, I haven't listened to it, that I know of anyway) and he has tickets to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers in March...when asked if I would like a ticket, I declined,  and to quote myself, "I'd rather save my money for traveling to a Joe show and/or somebody that I would really love to see."  Well, I have accomplished both, Rod Stewart in April and Joe in May.  I saw Rod a couple of years back in Chicago and absolutely loved the show, most excellent entertainment and Joe...need I say more....luv the guy smile pattyluvsjoe

Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

I don't see how anyone can not at least respect the Chili Peppers. They are one of the few bands that are truly unique in this scene. Flea and Frusciante are so amazing at what they do.

Frusciante is way overrated. Flea is not.

Blues ain't nothin' but a good woman gone bad.

Back up your claim. I can back up mine. Frusciante is a great funk player, and has a nice Hendrix influence that doesn't resort to out-and-out copying. I dare you to write something better than the opening lick of Under The Bridge.

My apologies,  I didn't realize  I was disrespecting the Chili Peppers, I'm sure they are a wonderful band and I would  enjoy the concert if I went.  I was only saying that with my $ funds I really love to see people and groups I know I love.  I tend to be stuck on bands from the 70's (my youth) and am trying to see as many of them as I can before they stop doing their thing.  And yes, I am hook, line, and sinker for Joe.    pattyluvsjoe

Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

"I was only saying that with my $ funds I really love to see people and groups I know I love."

I agrree. $56 to see RHCP? Sheeit!

Blues ain't nothin' but a good woman gone bad.

18 (edited by Donna 2007-02-10 20:54:20)

pattyluvsjoe wrote:

Hey Angela,  My son has Stadium Arcadium (no, I haven't listened to it, that I know of anyway)

Hey Patty....at least bum your son's 2 discs and give them a listen.  Their music is very different from the stuff you say you love from the 70's.  RHCP will make ya feel young(er)!  ..... "Hump de bump do bada....bump, bump!"  smile  And their lyrics alone will give you and your son plenty to talk about.....

Great musicians have a language & vocabulary that transcends the usual barriers & touches us on a more primitive , basic & yet complex level....

...I'll always have London in my heart, and in my soul...