Your Funeral, My Trial
Had To Cry Today
The Great Flood
Woke Up Dreaming
Mountain Time

encore:
Ball Peen Hammer
Just Got Paid

Since I was undoubtedly the only regular forum member in attendance (except for Joe, Bogie and Warren, of course) I thought I should write something, so here goes.

It had been just over four years since Joe last played Rochester - August 24, 2005 to be exact - and I know because that was the first time we saw Joe.

This show was held in Presentation Hall of the Mayo Civic Center complex in Rochester. The Presentation Hall is a theater of modern design with staight walls and hard surfaces. It is a somewhat narrow room, with high ceilings and a balcony that seemed like it was a mile from the stage. I would say capacity was around 1000 and if I had to guess how many people were in attendance I would say 600-700. Hard to say for sure because we were up front where it was full and I didn't get up and walk around. The stage was very good though, and the crew had set up Joe's PA and lights. Overall, not my favorite venue, but this was the Joe Bonamassa show and if it's anywhere within 5-6 hours we're going to be there!

At first the sound was a bit "boomy" from where we were IMO (and not unexpected given the characteristics of the room), but Warren did an excellent job of dialing the sound in. By a few songs in, the sound was very good. The light show was used to good effect as well, although some better spotlighting of Joe would have been nice.

The performance itself really was outstanding! Even though it wasn't a full house, the crowd was definitely into it and Joe and the boys certainly didn't hold back! Joe's singing was really exceptional, I thought. The set list, as usual, is a good mix of old and new, fast and slow, in-your-face and subtle. I think "Mountain Time" is very good as a closer to the main set and "Just Got Paid" makes an outstanding finale. Also, some different and interesting song "teases" have been worked into the show. I especially liked the little bit of "Stratus" during "Just Got Paid". 

All things considered, another excellent installment of the Joe Bonamassa show!

And since Rochester was the first place I saw Joe I thought I would add a couple of tidbits for my fellow nostalgia buffs. Here's a couple photos from my very first Joe Bonamassa show and a scan of their handwritten set list for that show:

Photos
Set list

Joe has definitely come a long way in those four years!

Re: Rochester, MN - October 17, 2009

Hey Lee,
You write an excellent review!  And loved the pictures and setlist!  I would have loved to have been at that show!  I see that key word on there "Upset"   Someday.....somewhere..... thanks again for such a wonderful review and many thanks again to you and Renee for calling me with those LIVE Joe songs...it made my day!!!!  You guys are such Joe-heads  wink    I'm going to head your way one of these times for a concert!  Thanks again Lee for the wonderful post!
                                      luv ya      p.l.j.

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Great review Lee, who said you were not good a reviews! lol   You a great job highlighting the room, sound, lights, set list and the crowd!  Well done, sounds like another great show for you guys.  Really liked the pics from 2005, great quality.  Like Patty, hope to see you guys at a show in the future again.

Music is good for the Soul...

Hey Lee,

I'm with David on this one; I always like to hear about the particulars of the show like the venue or even what led up to and what came after the show too.

I mean, when was the last time Joe and the Guys put on a bad show? Answer: Never!

When was the last time Joe and the Guys put on a great show?
Answer: Always! cool

I thought your review was excellent! smile

Roy

Joe is the Best!