Topic: volume pedal

Hi ,
Once again I need your suggestion.
I need a pedal to boost my solo..... so be careful.... I don't want an OCD, ts9, and other overdrive or other clean boost like that, I already have all this stuff. I just want to get a louder tone from my amp and my chain effect when it's time to lead. And I want the smaller pedal available because my pedalboard is overload.
What's the best ???

I don't believe in psychology....I believe in good move - Robert James (Bobby) Fischer

Re: volume pedal

Forget the pedal. Turn your amp up and the volume knob on the Guitar down to half, then when you need the boost turn the volume of the guitar up and turn it down when your done........:cool:

"Music Washes Away From The Soul, The Dust Of Everyday Life"

That would work but the tone of his guitar will change when turning that down.  You could run a volume pedal in your effects loop that will lower the volume like a master volume on your amp on in pedal form.  It will not effect your Pre amp section as that is a funtion before the effects loop.  What it will do is lower the power you supply to your power amp which is what puts out the volume in the first place.  I don't know of a good small pedal, but Ernie Ball has the toughest around and they are belt driven so they won't wear out like a gear will in 10 years.

roadshow101 wrote:

Forget the pedal. Turn your amp up and the volume knob on the Guitar down to half, then when you need the boost turn the volume of the guitar up and turn it down when your done........:cool:

what about the morley little aligator? Boss does a volume pedal where you can set a minimum volume I think.

roadshow101 wrote:

Old school, the cool school... no volume pedal needed.  Thats the way I do it.  Plus it cleans up your tone so the chords cut through very well.  I do use a TS808 sometimes, but its more for coloration of my tone, not a complete change in sound.

Ben

I'm really confused as to what you're wanting here.
A volume pedal isn't the way to go really as it will clean up, maybe putting it in the loop would work but, why not use a boost pedal?
You want it to get louder but stay EXACTLY the same tonally?
If that's what you want that's damn near impossible. Boosting the input signal will overdrive the valves more. Thus why high output pickups are more overdriven than low output.

A volume pedal acts like a giant controllable master volume when in the effects loop.  When put in front of an amplifier it acts more like the volume knob on the guitar and regulates some volume but mostly gain.  I use(d) a Boss volume pedal in the loops of my amps with great results.  You can set the minimum volume for rhythm tones and push the foot forward for solos.  No sound men screwing up your sound, and you won't be drowning your band out all the time.  I also like the "old school" method as Ben describes when you are using one amp cranked up.  My Super Reverb does this very well.  Good luck!

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

I totally agree with this statement.  I don't use volume pedals because I'm cheap and believe you get better sounds with less stuff in front of the amp.  Why don't you trade in a wah pedal for a Volume/wah and have 2 pedals in one.  The only downer to that is you couldn't do the effects loop thing like I said earlier.  I am totally one of those less is more guys or should i spell that Les (paul) is more.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

A volume pedal acts like a giant controllable master volume when in the effects loop.  When put in front of an amplifier it acts more like the volume knob on the guitar and regulates some volume but mostly gain.  I use(d) a Boss volume pedal in the loops of my amps with great results.  You can set the minimum volume for rhythm tones and push the foot forward for solos.  No sound men screwing up your sound, and you won't be drowning your band out all the time.  I also like the "old school" method as Ben describes when you are using one amp cranked up.  My Super Reverb does this very well.  Good luck!

Thanks again guys for the advice.........  So with a lot of research on the net I found a clean boost who seems to be keep the tone of the amp. a lot of forum of user speak about that .
The pedals is call super chili picoso by Catalinbread.
My choice will be between the Boss describe before or the Super chili picoso ... but I'm not sure if it's true Bypass.
What do you think about Catalinbread ???
http://www.catalinbread.com/SuperChiliPicoso.html

I don't believe in psychology....I believe in good move - Robert James (Bobby) Fischer

My friend uses the MXR EQ pedal with really good results. Nice little toneshaper and its got a variable boost on it.

I have an Ernie Ball Volume Jr. About as big as a wah pedal.  I use it whenever I play.  I like having a controllable volume without a change in tone. 

My main reason for liking it is this: It is wonderful if you play for things other than a rock band.  For example, church, musicals, things like that.

Thanks guys for all the suggestion. Finally I Bought the mxr Custom Audio Electronics Line driver MC-401. Exactly the stuff for what I was searching for. An uncolored volume boost for my leads part.  Easy to use , one knob , you turn it from 0db to 20db and it gives the volume you need and keep your original tone. I use it in the FX loop of my amp and very satisfy of the pedal.
price paid : 109$ (canadian) + Taxes
to those of you who want to see the things , chek the adress below to see the demo on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq5qjFARZuU
Frank