37 (edited by BluesMan 2009-08-20 22:27:03)

Re: The Football Topic

bigjeffjones wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

NFC North prediction:

Green Bay 10-6
Minnesota 9-7 (with favre)
Detroit 7-9
Chicago 6-10 (with cutler)

cool

lol
Go 'Fins!
tongue

Gentlemen, I do believe you have European Football confused with our American Football. It appears from the majority of the posts on this thread, that it's mostly a discussion of the European style of the sport. Which really leaves me with just one thing to say........

GO PACKERS!!!! wink tongue lol

Roy

Joe is the Best!

BluesMan wrote:
bigjeffjones wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

NFC North prediction:

Green Bay 10-6
Minnesota 9-7 (with favre)
Detroit 7-9
Chicago 6-10 (with cutler)

cool

lol
Go 'Fins!
tongue

Gentlemen, I do believe you have European Football confused with our American Football. It appears from the majority of the posts on this thread, that it's mostly a discussion of the European style of the sport. Which really leaves me with just one thing to say........

Roy

wink
J-E-T-S  Jets Jets Jets
tongue

Rock On and Keep the Faith

Jack Loves Patty Loves Joe

BluesMan wrote:

Roy

Roy and the rest of you - please re-read my original post, and then feel free to start a NFL topic!

Mike - your 'rant' tells it like it is and I agree with you. My detailed response will follow after I get home.

COYI cool

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

[img]http://vrolandoc.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/copa-libertadores.jpg[/img]

Amsterhammer wrote:
BluesMan wrote:

Roy

Roy and the rest of you - please re-read my original post, and then feel free to start a NFL topic!

Mike - your 'rant' tells it like it is and I agree with you. My detailed response will follow after I get home.

COYI cool

Maybe the heading for this thread should be Futball

When I was a child I spoke as a child, But all I heard was how I should get ahead,
Now growing up it ain't anything but all This indecision with these debts and doubts
And worries hanging over my head. When I was a child I spoke as a child,
I wish I could remember what I said.

Brack wrote:

Yeah, US folk, this thread is for " Football " only.

I can see this thread getting a little heated as the season progresses , so i suggest taking time over our comments. Otherwise, i can see this thread being closed, and we don't want that! do we ?

~ Brack ~

Eh?? Rugby?? What?!!!!

When I was a child I spoke as a child, But all I heard was how I should get ahead,
Now growing up it ain't anything but all This indecision with these debts and doubts
And worries hanging over my head. When I was a child I spoke as a child,
I wish I could remember what I said.

I once heard soccer described as a gentleman's game played by animals whereas rugby was an animals game played by gentlemen.  Not so sure... roll

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

bigjeffjones wrote:

I once heard soccer described as a gentleman's game played by animals whereas rugby was an animals game played by gentlemen.  Not so sure... roll

Come now Jeff, "soccer" is a game played with the feet - that's why we called it football! tongue

Please be in no doubt that this is the REAL ME! Beware imposters........................

Icon wrote:
bigjeffjones wrote:

Come now Jeff, "soccer" is a game played with the feet - that's why we called it football! tongue

lol You know I know that...or "futbol" as it were.

Rich!

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

This is mainly for Mike's information and because I need to get this off my chest.

How much injury bad luck can one team have????

The Hammers have had way more than their fair share in recent seasons, but what's going on now takes the %#@&ing biscuit.

Dean Ashton, one-time England hopeful, may be close to retiring from the game, having cost the club a fortune in wages for a handful of games.

Calum Davenport gets so badly stabbed in the legs by his sister's demented boyfriend that he may lose a leg and almost certainly never play again.

Boa Morte out for months.

Ilunga (never missed a game last season) breaks his jaw.

Sicknote Dyer is suddenly 'injured'.

Potential record signing Savio is mysteriously 'injured'.

Highly promising midfielder Jack Collison's dad died in a motorcycle crash on the way to watch him play against Spurs. He'll naturally be out for a number of games.

As for the 'squad', there were six academy lads under 19 in it for the Spurs game.

We have one striker, Carlton Cole. If anything happens to him we're totally up the creek.

The starting center halves against Spurs, Collins and Upson, could both be gone before the transfer window closes - rumor has it that Zola can't buy unless he sells.

Finally, the latest transfer gossip, any deals apparently depending on the sale of Collins to Stoke or Villa -

We're on the verge of signing a Serie B striker, Allessandro Diamanti from Livorno.

We're on the verge of getting Gudjohnsen on a season's loan.

We're 'linked' with Chamakh from Bordeaux and right back Oddo from AC. Meanwhile,.....

......tonight we've got Millwall in the Worthless. roll

"...fortune's always hiding...."

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Amsterhammer wrote:

This is mainly for Mike's information and because I need to get this off my chest.

How much injury bad luck can one team have????

The Hammers have had way more than their fair share in recent seasons, but what's going on now takes the %#@&ing biscuit.

Dean Ashton, one-time England hopeful, may be close to retiring from the game, having cost the club a fortune in wages for a handful of games.

Calum Davenport gets so badly stabbed in the legs by his sister's demented boyfriend that he may lose a leg and almost certainly never play again.

Boa Morte out for months.

Ilunga (never missed a game last season) breaks his jaw.

Sicknote Dyer is suddenly 'injured'.

Potential record signing Savio is mysteriously 'injured'.

Highly promising midfielder Jack Collison's dad died in a motorcycle crash on the way to watch him play against Spurs. He'll naturally be out for a number of games.

As for the 'squad', there were six academy lads under 19 in it for the Spurs game.

We have one striker, Carlton Cole. If anything happens to him we're totally up the creek.

The starting center halves against Spurs, Collins and Upson, could both be gone before the transfer window closes - rumor has it that Zola can't buy unless he sells.

Finally, the latest transfer gossip, any deals apparently depending on the sale of Collins to Stoke or Villa -

We're on the verge of signing a Serie B striker, Allessandro Diamanti from Livorno.

We're on the verge of getting Gudjohnsen on a season's loan.

We're 'linked' with Chamakh from Bordeaux and right back Oddo from AC. Meanwhile,.....

......tonight we've got Millwall in the Worthless. roll

"...fortune's always hiding...."

Felt that meltdown all the way over here...However I'm glad you are safe and sound at home.

MuchFrustration
EasyMate

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Ah George,

you ever get the feeling we are like those guys organizing the deckchairs on the Titanic?

General concensus before the season amongst my compadres was "where are the goals going to come from?".

The tale of woe you have detailed underlines the problems. We are not alone though but I admit it is problem the Hammers have had for several seasons. Feel for Ashton. Not sure we can blame England duty anymore as he came back last year for a number of games before succumbing to a new injury. The blokes cursed, like Dyer it seems. Both have enormous potential, likely never to be realised.

I shall be very sorry to see Collins go and I hope it doesn't happen. Undermining the defence with so little up front will noly add to the problems.

How sad it is, with just 2 games in we can only think about surviving at best given the parlous state of the club. I hope we can. Nevertheless it serves only to demonstrate the yawning gulf between the 'have and have nots'.

Wenger speaks about needing 2 sides to compete domestically and internationally whilst the majority of clubs struggle to field 1.

As for bad luck, yes, well it is, but we are not the first to have it or the last. I remember Spurs last year had a casualty list of 1st world war proportions early on. Made me happy at the time but its not so much fun being on the other end of it now.

Still George lets be strong in our support. No fears for steady men.

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

Brack, this is the football topic. Its the right place to discuss this subject. I just wish it was a topic that had never come up!

Last night? Was the usual dust up. Both clubs have a set of mindless morons whose mutual hatred and loathing goes back generations. I've never known this fixture not to produce violence in or outside the ground. I've been to this fixture old many occasions. The 'Old' Den was one of the most frightening grounds you could ever visit as an away fan. As a WH fan you literally took your life in your hands. On the only occasion I went to the New Den with WH it wasn't much better.

As far as coming to Upton Park is concerned, it is normally very well policed. Short distance from the tube and normally everything can be contained. Unusual for there to be trouble in the ground as again this , in my experience, has always been very well controlled. So, last night has to be a black mark against all concerned in relation to the security aspects of the game.

You can't blame the stewards, as such. These are a volunteer force and shouldn't have to face up to thugs. Therefore the policing spectacularly failed last night. Its bad news as there will surely be an over reaction now and WH will probably find a considerable increase in their policing costs as will any club that plays them probably.

I read reports of one father who took his children last night and whilst I deplore what happened I  would have to ask him "where was your brain when you took that decision". Of course he should be able to take his kids to a match without fear of stabbings and other mindless violence. But then again, I live in the real world and this is always a possibility with this fixture.

Fortunately, we meet them (Millwall) once in a blue moon, even so, its a fixture best played out behind closed doors - no fans allowed. Sad but true. If I was the police chief in charge I would refuse to police it. Of course the many have to suffer because of the few, but it would avoid the sort of headlines we see today.

If I, as a fan of one of the teams involved can see it, why can't the FA, the clubs, the police and other of the games administrators. It would be a small price to pay. After all, any money from the fixture last night could be lost in fines and the bad press for the game in general means it wasn't worth the trouble.

Congratulations to England on reaching The World Cup Finals in South Africa next year
The result tonight was a solid performance from the team against a poor Croatia and Fabio Capello has installed belief and confidence into the playing formation of the team, he has done what was asked of him and looks like an influential manager who can help the team perform and progress well.
Still wasn't our perfect 11 out there and i wonder who Mr Capello will pick for the latter stages of The World Cup which i believe we will achieve, maybe Quarter or Semi Finals again if we come up against teams like Argentina Brazil Italy Spain Holland & Germany, but if the draw is kind to us who knows
I pretty much know who'd i pick if all fit as a starting best 11, and i'm sure he does too
Well done to the boys for Qualifying and nice to see them pass it around with style

....................... Michael

PS ... Like to go to South Africa to watch to The World Cup Finals there in June/July  cool

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

OK - So I'm not lucky enough toget a RAH DVD in my mailbox yet, but I still had a good day yesterday.

The Wolves totally outplayed Fulham to record a deserved 2 - 1 win. Should have been more really, but a win's a win. A great day out in the warm autumn sunshine (except for the Fulham fans of course). cool

Next stop Old Trafford on Wednesday night. Can't believe they've fleeced us for £41 a ticket for a Carling cup game. I'm expecting a complementary prawn sandwich at half time for that! lol

Brack - good to see a player that cost you nothing win the game against all those overpriced citeh signings.

And as for our resident Hammers - you really didn't deserve to lose on Saturday. And yet another Gerrard dive! (rumour has it he spotted what looked like a CD player remote lying on the floor in the penalty area lol )

Ian

PS Brack - where's the best place for an away fan to get a pint before the game?

Please be in no doubt that this is the REAL ME! Beware imposters........................

Icon wrote:

OK - So I'm not lucky enough toget a RAH DVD in my mailbox yet, but I still had a good day yesterday.

The Wolves totally outplayed Fulham to record a deserved 2 - 1 win. Should have been more really, but a win's a win. A great day out in the warm autumn sunshine (except for the Fulham fans of course). cool

Next stop Old Trafford on Wednesday night. Can't believe they've fleeced us for £41 a ticket for a Carling cup game. I'm expecting a complementary prawn sandwich at half time for that! lol

Brack - good to see a player that cost you nothing win the game against all those overpriced citeh signings.

And as for our resident Hammers - you really didn't deserve to lose on Saturday. And yet another Gerrard dive! (rumour has it he spotted what looked like a CD player remote lying on the floor in the penalty area lol )

Ian

PS Brack - where's the best place for an away fan to get a pint before the game?

How will he know where to get a pint - he's a London Red! My advice of where to get a decent pint before a game at Manchester would be...........Stoke:D

hansamike wrote:

How will he know where to get a pint - he's a London Red! My advice of where to get a decent pint before a game at Manchester would be...........Stoke:D

Surely my sense of humour is not too subtle for you Mike wink

But Stoke - seriously?

Ian

54 (edited by Rocket 2009-10-11 14:03:13)

The only reason soccer ever got called football is...
And where did the idea for the World Cup come from???
Rocket science not required.

Rock ON & Keep the Faith, amongst other things,

Rocket

Football AND Rugby are extremely popular in town here wink

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”