Topic: Joe's JCM2000 Settings?

I remember seeing Joe post his JCM2000 settings on here at some point but cannot find the thread. Can anyone locate it or remember his settings?
I fancy trying something new.

Re: Joe's JCM2000 Settings?

Here ya go man. cool

Joe Bonamassa: "Use the clean channel settings.. pres 4 bass 5 mid 5.5 treb 2 vol 6 gain 6 with the tube screamer.  mid shift off, and bass boost off..  Thats what I use for fly gigs only use two of them through one cab.."

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Here ya go man. cool

Joe Bonamassa: "Use the clean channel settings.. pres 4 bass 5 mid 5.5 treb 2 vol 6 gain 6 with the tube screamer.  mid shift off, and bass boost off..  Thats what I use for fly gigs only use two of them through one cab.."

SPG, I'm confused.  I know nothing about the JCM2000 but why is there a gain knob on the clean channel?

In essence the JCM2000 is a 4 channel amplifier.  It has 2 "modes", the Classic and Ultra Gain.  Each mode has a lower gain and higher gain channel.  Being that the DSL is CLEAN on it's classic channel w/o boost I'm guessing that Joe is using the boost and dialing in some gain.  Check out the Rob Math youtube demo of this particular ampilifier.  The "Classic" or ''clean'' channel can do anything from jazz to ACDC/Hendrix/Cream old school crunch.  The "Ultra Gain" takes off where the clean leaves off into JCM800 type tones and beyond.  For me, I use the Ultra Gain lead 1 (the lower gain one) because it's less compressed, more dynamic, cleans up great, and sounds more vintage.  It's one of my favorite sounding amplifiers that has been made yet, however I wish they were more reliable.  I need to get someone to do a head to toe servicing of mine before I start playing it again.  Here's a little tip for running these amps: Order the E34L gold pin retube set from www.eurotubes.com .  I MUCH prefer the E34L's than the crappy stock EL34's that came with it.

'67 and '74 Fender Twin Reverbs, '74 Marshall 1987 lead mkII, Metro Superlead 100. Pedals from TC Electronic, Ibanez, Dunlop, BK Butler, Electro-Harmonix, Fulltone, Maestro/Gibson, Loopmaster switching, VoodooLab, Boss. Gibson and Fender guitars, Dimarzio pickups.

Thanks a lot man. Gotta try that one out.
Though, the volume is high for even most venues. So don't think I'll be trying at that volume.

I usually use the ultra (low gain too). I do find it is far clearer. The classic gain is a little overly bassy for my liking.
And my band aren't the mellowest band in the world so the higher gain is needed.

That sucks you've had problems with yours. Mine has been going around 2 and a half years with the original valves, no problems at all.

For a hot and bothered plexi-like tone try bringing the presence and treble about 1/3 up, back the bass off to about 3 or 4, turn the bass boost off, and give it a lot of mids.  The volume and gain about 5-6 each on the Ultra Gain channel, lead 1.  The DSL100s are killer sounding amps, I don't get the haters roll

At the moment I'm running in the ultra gain, low setting, presence at 6.5, bass at 8, mid at 8 and treble at 5. Gain at 6 and volume varies depending one where I am playing.

Mine is just a DSL50. Close enough really. Breaks up far quicker but I quite like that due to it being my main amp in the house too.

8 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2022-09-15 12:57:35)

stratpaulguy86 wrote:

Here ya go man. cool

i really wanted to get rid of my 50 watt JCM 2000, and seeing this just gave me something to try. I'd like a JCM 900 for my Kiss Tribute band, but also something I can play blues-rock with.

Mine came with super noisey JJ EL34's in it. I put in some old GrooveTubes that I thought were burnt out, rebiased - and it already sounded WAY better. Ordered some Svetlana EL34s. And when those came in, a quick bias had this amp sounding great. I wish there was a better tone for classic rock gain though. Seems clean gain isn't enough and ultra gain channel is too much.

My preamp tubes came with Sovtek in v1, a TAD in v2, and short plate JJ for phase inverter v3. i'm willing to change these too!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool