Topic: Joe, Need Your Help....Les Paul Cloud 9 content

Pondering a Les Paul Cloud 9...weighs about 7 1/2 pounds

Have you ever played one, or would you...is that too light
would this kill the tone

it's pricey, a need a Tone Gurus advice

can't test it local...have to buy sight unseen

thanks

Re: Joe, Need Your Help....Les Paul Cloud 9 content

ya, I know what you are saying, but there is a limited run of "cloud 9" Les Pauls
that are "weight relieved" they way between 7 to 8 pounds

I'm very interested in one, but only 2 dealers carry them, and they are many miles away

they do have a return policy.....we'll see

3 (edited by gsj 2007-01-05 17:01:37)

My Standard weighs in at around 6 1/2 pounds. The others that we have in the store are around 7 1/2 and upwards. Mine seems to be a touch more 'alive' and resonant..... and I don't suffer with back/shoulder pain after a gig. I think there's always been a misconception that weight is equal to quality. In fact lighter guitars are more resonant than heavy guitars. Dense wood can strangle the notes whereas lighter properties in the wood allow it to breath and sustain. I'm lucky that I can try the guitars where I work before I choose the best one....and that's why I've got the lightest one wink

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

gsj wrote:

My Standard weighs in at around 3k....generally they seem to be around 3.5 and upwards. Mine seems to be a touch more 'alive' and resonant..... and I don't suffer with back/shoulder pain after a gig.

Oh man gsj...you gonna make me convert kilograms to pounds....I'm getting way to lazy.....

ok....
3k  = 6.613  pounds

3.5k = 7.716 pounds

that is way light for a standard.

Anyway, I ordered the Cloud Nine today....can't wait, I'll post pics
when it gets here

then I'll try to play So Many Roads on it :-)
key word on "try" :-)

5 (edited by gsj 2007-01-05 17:04:10)

Sorry, realised my error and I've changed my kg to lbs wink Let me know what you think of the guitar after you've spent some time with it.

Rick wrote:
gsj wrote:

My Standard weighs in at around 3k....generally they seem to be around 3.5 and upwards. Mine seems to be a touch more 'alive' and resonant..... and I don't suffer with back/shoulder pain after a gig.

Oh man gsj...you gonna make me convert kilograms to pounds....I'm getting way to lazy.....

ok....
3k  = 6.613  pounds

3.5k = 7.716 pounds

that is way light for a standard.

Anyway, I ordered the Cloud Nine today....can't wait, I'll post pics
when it gets here

then I'll try to play So Many Roads on it :-)
key word on "try" :-)

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

i like a heavy guitar....like the weight of coffee tables!  I am used to them though, I can see how it gets to be heavy during gigs. Advice: get a wider guitar strap.

After playing my LP or explorer strapping on the strat is like having a toy on your shoulder. I once had a 80's Dean ML that was just really light as well...shouldve never gotten rid of that one.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I believe that the Cloud9 gibsons are "weight relieved" or routed to remove some of the weight. I have owned several "weight relieved" guitars and they can have dead spot on the fret board. I hate playing and having several notes sing like a violin then hit one place on the fretboard and have that note die.

Haven't hit any yet....than again, haven't hit every not yet either

I love the guitar, it is balanced big time

and looks pretty good to...below is a pic....7.38 pounds
I have strats that are heavier

http://west.poly.edu/~rconne01/c9.jpg

Beautiful flame...no wonder it was pricey ;-)  Enjoy and keep us posted.

Keep on rockin' the blues...

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues